Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Electric Aunt Jemima - Goddess of Love
Directed by: Michael Curtiz
Starring: Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid

Plot Synopisis (No spoilers within):

"Casablanca" takes place during world war II. The story starts off giving background on how people are attempting to escape the Nazis in Europe by going south to Casablanca, and then leaving to the United States. The final stop on their escape path out of europe is across the Mediterranian Sea, and to the city of Casablanca, where they can fly to the United States, if they obtain an exit visa.

(Semi-Spoilers below):

The story is based around Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) and his resturaunt "Rick's Cafe American." Rick ended up in Casablanca after having his heart broken in a love affair that he had in Paris the day that the Nazis took it. Eventually, his lover (Ilsa, played by Ingrid Bergman) and he meet again in Casablanca, except this time, she has a husband who is a fugitive who escaped from a concentration camp (Victor Laslow - played by Paul Henreid). Rick comes upon 2 exit visas to the United States, and is left with the decision wether to take Ilsa, and turn Laslow in to the Nazis, or let the two of them go to the United States.

------------------------

Like The Godfather part I and Citizen Kane, Casablanca is widely regarded as one of the greatest films ever made.

Every line of this movie is famous, every shot in this movie is famous. If you have never seen this movie, this should be the next movie what you see. It is truly fantastic.

Academy Awards won (1943):

Best Director
Best Picture
Best Writing/Screenplay

Nominated:

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Best Cinematography, Black-and-white
Best Film Editing
Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture

IMDb Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
This might be the most likable movie ever made. Unlike many other great movies that you absolutely must see!, it manages to also be tremendously entertaining. The acting is great from everyone, the chemistry between Bergman and Bogart is great, and I enjoy the hell out of Peter Lorre. The plot has something to appeal to almost anyone. Aside from its entertainment value, it's a very well-made movie in its own right. It's not overdone or gimmicky, the direction in Casablanca is much more straightforward, but it succeeds because of this. In my opinion, even those people who are generally turned off by old movies will likely enjoy Casablanca.

KJohns2001
May 15, 2004
Certified Motorized Wheelchair Racer
Brief comment...if you like the movie in black and white, but are a child of the modern age, try to find someone who has a colorized version of the movie. I have both and for me at least the colorized version is much more enjoyable to watch from a visual standpoint. In the black and white version a lot of the set details are lost, which is a shame, and they are clearly viewable in the colorized version. Also, the film as a whole is much brighter, making it easier on the eyes...specially if you have older family members who have vision problems. A plus is that most kids detest black and white...the colorized version will expose them to this classic movie without fear of having them feel they are being tortured by being forced to watch some really old uninteresting piece of dark gloomy crap.
Say what you will about colorization, it does have an appeal for some of us.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I don't think I can add anything that hasn't already been said about Casablanca. Simply a sublime movie. It's not mind-blowing in any way, but it's so perfectly done that it's an absolute joy to watch. Funny and thrilling and romantic and moving. Clips along so smoothly that you don't realize that time is passing. Rating: 5