Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...
Directed by: Troy Duffy
Starring: Willem Dafoe, Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus, Billy Connolly

Fraternal twin brothers, Connor and Murphy McManus, set out on a killing spree after they have a shared vision. Under the direct command of God they go about on their mission to rid the world, or at least the greater Boston area, of Evil. I'd go into a bit more depth but if you haven't seen the movie you'll enjoy being blind when certain things happen.

Personally, I consider this one of my all-time favorite movies... but it is definitely very hit-or-miss. Friends of mine loathe Boondock Saints because of a certain homosexual/homoerotic element in the movie, but as a normal straight man I can tell you that it's a gross overreaction to a minor piece of the plot. Aside from that slightly offputting development, this movie is packed with humor, action, and some very interesting film-making techniques that really set this movie apart from any Action flick you may have seen.

Pick this movie up expecting to see a very interesting movie with remarkable characters and quite a few memorable quotes, but don't put your Shakespear hat on and expect a dissertation on the ramifications of Modern Man and The American Dream.

"gently caress! rear end!"

EDIT: GOLD

Stonelegs fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 3, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

Also one of my favorite movies. I loves me some vigilante justice.

My favorite thing about this movie is just the style in which it is done, the dialog, the characters, everything about it is entertaining, and you can walk away from it just being entertained but you can also look deeper into the meaning of the movie and it makes you think a little. Plus, it has a gay Willem Dafoe dressed up as a woman.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
Sorry dude, I didn't like this movie.

I think it might have had something to do with the fact that I couldn't understand a word that was said for the first 10 minutes. Same thing happened with Snatch. I had to turn on the subtitles.

Willem Dafoe ruled, as always though.

3/5

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

I actually wasn't very impressed with this movie. It seems that almost everyone I know either loves it or hates it.

The movie constantly seems to be begging for attention and ends up looking silly while doing so. It comes off as a Tarantino knock-off that takes itself WAY too seriously.

I understand this isn't meant to be an artistic movie, or even a venture into quality filmmaking, but there are A TON of action movies that can pull off this style WAY better than Boondock Saints without trying to elicit audience response nonstop.

I could go into this more, but I'll just leave it at:

1/5

Pizzaface
Apr 2, 2004

by Lowtax
Absolutely adore this movie.

I just love irish guys or something.

Febtober
Oct 29, 2003

Awesome movie, and I really like the story behind it's making. "The Boondock Saints" is the name of Troy Duffy's band and they wanted to make some big music video to go along with one of their songs, but they found they enjoyed making the video a ton and it eventually turned into the movie.

YancyDCjew
Feb 28, 2002

My name's Spagett, I do parties, and you just take my card, and if you need someone to spook ya-
i kept hearing how great this movie was, so my girlfriend and i rented it one night.

it loving sucks. it's just a bad gimmick stretched through a whole movie. what does going to church have to do with anything? what's with the tattoos? yes, i know the answers to those questions, but they are weak.

this movie is absolutely boring and lovely.

Forgot to rate it all those months ago: 1.5/5

YancyDCjew fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 2, 2004

lenin
Sep 11, 2001

dear leader
I rented this movie because I saw a ton of people on SA gushing about it. I suppose if you're looking at it as purposefully cheesy, then there's some entertainment value in that, but the attempts at seriousness make me believe they thought the movie was actually conveying some powerful image. The action scenes were nice, though, they struck me as a bit more sensical/real than a lot of movies as of late.

2/5

Migertantix
Jul 15, 2003

quote:

lenin came out of the closet to say:
I rented this movie because I saw a ton of people on SA gushing about it. I suppose if you're looking at it as purposefully cheesy, then there's some entertainment value in that, but the attempts at seriousness make me believe they thought the movie was actually conveying some powerful image. The action scenes were nice, though, they struck me as a bit more sensical/real than a lot of movies as of late.

2/5
Sums it up for me. Defintly overrated by the forum going public.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, I actually thought it was excellent. Great action, and an interesting twist on the typically morality plays we find in films (Dafoe's character in church, wondering whether he can persue the boys any further, as they are doing what he has always wanted to go, but can't. )

Plate of Shrimp
Jul 7, 2003

liquor and whores, ciggrettes and dope, and mustard and baloney, and liqour and whores
This is a very fun movie. There are a few scenes and lines that don't really work, but I feel the actor's and their characters carry it through. And there are a lot of cool characters in this movie, almost too many. Rocco is the man! I wish there were more scenes with Papa Joe.

There is some really cool imagery in this movie, but you do have to accept it at face value. I don't know, but to me, the movie isn't really about making a religous or social commentary/statement. The characters make a few stabs at that because of their backgrounds and respective motivations, being Catholic meat-packers turned God's assasins, or a gay FBI investigator and whatnot. I mean, this movie isn't going to insite intellectual debate among you and your friends about the state of the nation. Well i suppose it could, but i'm getting way off topic.

point is, this movie is chock full of cool and hilarious action. I found it to be very well done and stylish. The music and camera work make for a few very powerful shots. Stylish violence is always compared to Tarantino, but whatever (I actually enjoyed this over most of his films).

Plus it has William Dafoe, Billy Conolly, and Ron Jeremy! And they shoot people with guns!!!
!!

5/5

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I don't understand what all the hype is about this movie. I hated it the first and only time I saw it. DaFoe's character was weak at best and the notion of vigilante justice is lame. "In our movie the less-bad guys actually win!"

1/5 because of how many people waste money renting the movie on account of their friends adoration of it.

Melly Gloworm
Sep 20, 2003

she invites-- nay, implores-- you to explore every inch of the fucked up haunted house that is her face
It's sad, but 90% of the reason I enjoyed this movie so much was because the McManus twins were so drat hot. Willem Dafoe made up the other 10% with a pretty hilarious performance.

If you're able to put the weak plot and unbelievable feats of the characters aside, and enjoy the hot Irish guys [for the ladies, and the gentlemen that swing that way] and fairly light-hearted appeal of a decent action movie, I think most people could enjoy this.

The scene with Dafoe on the phone while in bed is absolutely priceless, and once again, for the ladies, what appeared to be some sort of divine shirtless orgasm scene was great too, ha ha.

4/5, as long as you're in it for fun and not some cinematic masterpiece.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
The Boondock Saints is what would happen if the Coen brothers made an action movie, in that it takes bizarre characters that certainly exist but would never meet in real life and puts them together for a lot of comedy and quotables based on the word "gently caress," but it also has plenty of gunfights.

The action scenes are done in a very traditional style with slo-mo, but it seems notable because it's still done well enough to seem like something new. Maybe it's just because current action flicks use slo-mo without any idea why or where they should use it.

And there is a "love-it-or-hate-it" phenomenon surrounding this movie, which I couldn't understand for a long time. Everyone (except one person) I've shown it to loved it, and I've shown it to a lot of people. When I was watching it with Mr. Exception it became clear what was wrong. He wasn't laughing. When the main characters start wrestling in the middle of an assassination attempt, then fall out into the open and kill everyone in the room as a result of this accident, there wasn't a giggle. Same for Willem Dafoe or Rocco's finer moments.

So if you don't have a fair laugh at Coen brothers movies (the humor is very similar in that it mixes over-the-top wackiness with more serious themes), you shouldn't watch. It's not that you don't understand it, like others have suggested, it's that your sense of humor loving sucks, human being. :)

5/5 for me

Hellish_Burrito
Nov 3, 2002

This Burrito can ruin your day
Boondock Saints is one of my all time favorite movies. My roomates and I used to watch this movie at least once a week. It has great action and comedy, blending the two together seemlessly. Unlike a lot of films, the ending of Boondock Saints doesn't let you down. I give it 5/5.
"Is it dead?"

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

I think this movie is very overrated, although it is still a decent flick. It's supposed to be over the top, but by the end there are so many contrived instances that all I could think was "what the gently caress?" It seemed like it was trying to be a cross between Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels and an action flick. The result is that it's pretty dumb but does have some entertaining scenes.

2/5

EDIT: Harr, hosed up my vote. Oh well

Taco
Feb 22, 2001

My God ...
It's full of pubbies!
Boondock Saints is a great movie the first, second, and maybe even third time around. After that it simply doesn't hold the test of time
Now, you can watch any move a bunch of times and find little annoying things that piss you off and eventually make you hate the movie, but it's never happened to me like it did with this film. You quickly notice all the small flaws in the acting, that the plot is really kind of shallow when you get down to it, and it just all falls apart. I don't know if I could sit through this movie again. I'm sorry I ruined it for myself though, because it really is a "fun" movie. 3/5 from me.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
I'm sort of suprised at the amount of people who haven't seen this movie. At first, I was sort of skeptical to watch it, because one of my friend's had forced me to watch it and I wasn't too sure on his movie taste. In the end, I was glad I was forced to watch this, because it's an awesome movie. I've seen this somewhere around 10 times now.

I Hate Emo
Mar 21, 2004

by elpintogrande
It had some good action scenes, and some good comedy bits. I thought David Dela Rocco was hilarious as the Funny Man. However, this movie is a rental. I loved it the first time, was amused the second viewing, and so on. I don't really watch it anymore because the scenes just get boring after 2 or 3 times.

3/5

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
This piece of poo poo didn't feel like a movie, it felt like an executive decision to make a movie for a certain demographic.

TheAngry One
Aug 8, 2003

I'd swim through a river of shit with my mouth open to suck the dick of last bloke that fucked Natalie Portman
I know a lot of people hate this film, but then that's their opinion. I loved it, it's a great mix of comedy (gun+cat=messy walls) and action (the fight with their old man), plenty of gun-type malarky, and plenty of blood. It also has Billy Connolly in it too, which is a bonus. It's just a shame there's som much "Irishness" in it :( I managed to get a hold of the unrated DVD, due to the fact that over here, Sky only ever showed the unrated version, and I hate it when I know there are bits missing.

5/5, and let's pray the sequel is just as good (at least they're continuing the sequel where this left off).

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
My friend showed me this movie and I had very serious doubts about it, but I came away surprised. Yeah, the acting isn't of the absolute highest caliber, but I think the writing was pretty good, if a bit melodramatic. The backwards story is a bit Tarantino-esque, but imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Doesn't necessarily make it bad. This is by far my favorite movie for just sitting down to watch a couple of guys mow through some bad guys with some story in between.

5/5

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Boondock Saints falls into the "internet overrated" category, mostly due to teenage boys loving the excessive violence. Willem Dafoe's performance in this movie is excellent as usual, but otherwise the movie is just plain mediocre.

mroach
Dec 14, 2002

by Ozma
I'll agree this movie became pretty overrated and that Willem DaFoe had an outstanding performance. I also like the idea of removing hardcore criminals the old fashioned way, instead of beurocratic nonsense.

Also, I'm from Boston, so I like movies that take place in Boston.

4/5

MorningSon
May 2, 2003

deep
I love any movie with cheesy religious overtones.

5/5

JoshuaD
Sep 7, 2002

by Fistgrrl
I really liked this movie the first few times I saw it. However, as I watched it more and more it became crappier and crappier. Voted 2.5.

flip my mom the bird
Sep 13, 2003
To tell the truth, I could beat anybody in the world

quote:

mroach came out of the closet to say:
I also like the idea of removing hardcore criminals the old fashioned way, instead of beurocratic nonsense.

You like this idea? Are you insane?
Do you think that the laws designed to protect the individual and his human rights are bureaucratic nonsense?
What are you, 14 years old?

Boondock Saints is probably the most over rated piece of poo poo (maybe except for "Chocolat") I've ever had the grave misfortune to watch. Now, I understand that the main appeal of this movie is that its a cheesy, funny action flick about two irish brothers going all vigilante on the local mafia.

The thing is that in the movie, the brothers are portrayed as two cold hearted, psychopathic killers that you as the audience, are supposed to identify with and cheer for as they go on their killing spree. The movie never keeps a distance to the brothers and their actions, but portrays them as justified and funny. Also, they are "removing hardcore criminals the old fashioned way, instead of beurocratic nonsense" which apparently is the same thing as planning and executing the murders of people whom they suspect are guilty of various crimes.

How nice.

The brothers are, of course, not different or any better than the people they murder. This is not a new theme in popular culture (Taxi Driver, Dirty Harry, Bullit, Max Payne and so on) but never before has it been executed so badly or so crudely or with such a lack of finesse or human insight. In Taxi Driver or Max Payne, the avenging character has a more or less valid reason to commit the crimes he's commiting, we can understand him whether or not we actually approve of his actions. In Boondock Saints, the brothers actions lacks any rational reason, they just decide to start killing people (the mafia) because they feel that they need to make their neighbourhood safe from the russians (if I remember correctly). To back this up, they resort to some kind of religious hoo-haa that they should be as shepherds to the Lord (portrayed in an, I have to admit, very very cool prayer "As shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord, for Thee..."), and thats it...

This movie is made to appeal to teenage boys with too few brain cells to fully appreciate what they're really seeing and who lacks the ability to think about and analyze the message conveyed in a critical sense HURR HURR HE SAID gently caress rear end AND NOW THEY'RE SHOOTING THE BAD GUYS THIS IS A VERY GOOD MOVIE YOU GUYS

Add to this the jump from the top the brothers apartment building (how the hell did he survive that 40m+ fall?!), the fact that the brothers speak about a bazillion different languages fluently (which is never explained or even given a resaon to be included in the movie), The Duke (the crappiest movie character ever?) and so on.

I've seen Steven Seagal movies with more depth. As a final thought; I like cheesy movies as well, but what sets this movie apart from the Stevel Seagal -movies and the Starship Troppers or the over-the-top kung fu -movies is that it's trying to be something it's not. It's trying to be a stylish, funny action movie with some kind of message that killing bad guys is justified if you're pissed off enough and you have a religous belief supporting this kind of behaviour. This movie is just far to amoral and pretentious for it's own good.

1/5

edit: oh, and if the OP would care to explain what the "very interesting film-making techniques that really set this movie apart from any Action flick you may have seen" are, I would appreciate it.

flip my mom the bird fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 4, 2004

Nimbokwezer
Jan 12, 2004

Its kind of odd... I agree with all of the points Daijoobu made, and yet I still enjoy watching it once in a while.

3/5

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

quote:

JoshuaD came out of the closet to say:
I really liked this movie the first few times I saw it. However, as I watched it more and more it became crappier and crappier.

My feelings exactly, although I have only watched it about 4 times and will probably watch it again. It’s pretty obvious that the director saw that this is one of those love hate things, you can tell from watching the credits.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

quote:

Neil Armbong came out of the closet to say:
I don't understand what all the hype is about this movie. I hated it the first and only time I saw it. DaFoe's character was weak at best and the notion of vigilante justice is lame. "In our movie the less-bad guys actually win!"
I agree completely. I like Willem normally but I thought this movie was utter trash and loathed it.

i_am_the_hydra
Feb 1, 2001

quote:

JoshuaD came out of the closet to say:
I really liked this movie the first few times I saw it. However, as I watched it more and more it became crappier and crappier. Voted 2.5.
Exactly as I would have said it. Seeing it a third time had me cringing for ever recommending it to other people.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Boondock Saints isn't a movie, it's a competition to see who can say gently caress the most. There's absolutely no likable characters. Also, a cat gets shot and it's played up for laughs. Hilarious!

Two.

Arcadean
May 13, 2004
Psycho
Writer/director Troy Duffy weaves a clever story and original plot that is sure to be a cult classic. Willem Dafoe has some great scenes in this movie and really steals the show from everyone else. The dialogue is also very well written. I watch this stylish movie every St. Patrick's Day.

4.0/5

Ceritus
Jul 31, 2002

C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it.
This movie rates in my top five favorite films of all-time. The plot, characters, acting, musical score and cinematography were all top-notch. Flanery and Reedus gave great performances, and Dafoe absolutely stole the show. The only mar on this otherwise perfect feature was the ending, which I thought absolutely sucked.

4.0/5.5

bridwello
May 17, 2004
hey now
this movie was absolutely horrible. there was not one single shred of sense to be made from the horrible story. 0

weasel sack
Sep 11, 2001

NIANOCRAD eternally spins and has hundreds of light tunnels that shoot out from the pits of a unique and self-contained HELL
Amateurish and silly, but great great fun. Don't take it too seriously and you should have a good time.

4/5

nerm
May 31, 2004

by Mayor Wilkins
I watched this and enjoyed it. I even bought the DVD.

After the third viewing, though, I started to realize how bad the acting was and how stupid and two-dimensional the characters were. The plot has more holes than swiss cheese as well and they made a hatchet job of the 'religious' aspects. Even Willem started getting on my nerves which I thought would never happen.

So, I sold the dvd on eBay and rated this a 2/5

dr.dendrite
Nov 16, 2003
i wish i could think of something original to say
This movie actually had a halfway-interesting premise. Unfortunately, it's buried under piles and piles of pointless violence and stupid dialog that tries to pass for "style". Worst movie I've seen in a long time.

2/5

sniffles
Jun 2, 2004
Never around to respond.
I watched this movie after (incidently) reading on another forum that "if you appreciated Resevoir Dogs, you'll love 'Boondock Saints'". Now, I'm just going to toss this out here, but I don't think this movies feels anything like Resevoir Dogs. I do appreciate the interesting approach to how William Dafoe's character examines the crime scenes (as previously mentioned before, backwards storytelling). However, Resevoir Dogs is a much less chronologically constructed movie. Sure, they both have guns and people die. But the psycological aspects of Resevoir Dogs does not exist in Boondock Saints.

On the positive side, this movie has that "Kick-rear end!" flavor to it. Lots of guns and gore will appeal to many who dig those kinds of movies. Also, the ending is pretty cool and might take you by surprise (if somehow you didn't already predict it). It's not really worth purchasing, but it could be worth a rent (or a watch at someone else's expense).

3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckrasta
Sep 21, 2002

The hunt is on
Your life is gone
Castratikron
I accidentally rented this movie once, the film I was thinking of was Resevoir Dogs, and I enjoyed it, though it's hard to say why. The acting isn't great, the characters aren't particularly interesting, the "message" is laughable. All of that didn't matter. The movie was fun. The action scenes were awesome. The brothers had this aura of "cool" around them (yes, they are the reason I wear the peacoat). There are some hilarious scenes and memorable lines. All in all, it is badass.

I think this film suffers from the same syndrome that The Matrix, Fight Club, and Donnie Darko suffer from. A few people go crazy about them, so you go in expecting some sort of cinematic masterpiece. But all you get is a decent film, you feel let down. These films are good, but they aren't that good.

Voted 4/5

Duckrasta fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 2, 2004