Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
Directed by: Danny Boyle
Starring: Cillian Murphy

Jim (Murphy) awakes in a hospital to find that some sort of virus has apparently swept the UK, and turning its victims into zombies (more or less). With the aid of a handful of survivors, Jim begins his voyage to where he believes other survives are located. However, this is only the the tip of the iceberg...

This movie was a big disappointment for me. I mean, it is a good movie and very enjoyable, but when I sat down to watch, I expected the standard zombie film. That is NOT what I got. The film takes a bit of a twist and for the second half, most of the action is focused on the group of soldiers who basically hold our heros captive. I want people getting attacked by zombies... not people vs. wacky military guys with a couple zombies thrown in .

Perhaps if I had gone in without such high expectations and pre-concieved ideas about the film, I would've enjoyed it much more. It's just my own fault, I suppose... as well as advertising that was a slight bit misleading.

3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It seems I liked exactly the parts of the film you didn't. Sure, we all see zombie films to see the initial downfall of society, and that's probably the most compelling bit of 28 Days Later. However, those kinds of films can be a bit two dimensional, as they've been done to death, really. 28 Days later appeases fans of 'classic' zombie movies with its first half, but does in its second what I think the creators wanted to do with the whole thing, display the individual human reactons to the collapse of society, and emphasize humanity's two true instincts:

-Survival
-Reproduction

I'd like to give it a 4.5/5, but it doesn't deserve a 5, so I'm going with a 4.

Citation
Oct 20, 2002

I thought it was fairly good, not great. 3.5 so i gave it the benefit of the doubt with a 4. I was disappointed with both the beginning and the end of the movie. You miss the actual outbreak and take over of the virus in the beginning which I woudl think would be one of the coolest points of the story. The end left me feeling unfulfilled, however everything else was pretty good. The basis and acting all seemed good. The dialogue was good especially in comparison to the terrible dialogue that seems to plague the genre.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
Brraaaiiinnnsss...

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 7, 2004

Moosk
Nov 15, 2003
I really liked it, but I thought that it was really lacking in the "depression" factor.

I wanted to feel like the whole entire loving human race was going to be destroyed, and that these people couldn't do anything, not have it just be the british isles, and then have them loving rescued. The Alternative ending sucked to - The world still wasn't loving ending. THey should have gone with the alt. ending they only had the story board too

It also wasn't as terrifying as I thought, I mean, I'm a loving pussy, I almost died watching the ring, but this movie didn't leave any "after scare".

I still really liked the style and the actual story, so

4/5

Shady Lane
Jul 21, 2002

Chilin ( <3 C-Mart )
I give it a 4... I like zombie movies and this one wasn't too bad at all. The original ending to me is better but to each their own. There were a few points I thought it dragged but overall really cool, the whole last fourth of the movie is crazy.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

Having none A list actors helped this film have a raw feeling to it. You were rooting for them all the way throughtout the film. This film had your Ow! Aww! And Hey! moments.

4/5

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I also didn't care much for the soldier capture part. I also didn't find the movie as interesting on a second viewing, so I think a lot of the draw was "what will happen next" as opposed to actual interest in the storyline. 4.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I'd give this film 3.5 out of 5, but since we cant give it that rating here, I'm voting 3/5 as I don't think it deserves a 4/5. The cinematography is what makes this movie. The colours were robust and beautiful, the angles were great, but what I really like about the filming was seeing a completely deserted London, it just seemed so odd and intriguing to see an area that should have thousands and thousands of people, with just only one.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
My beef with the film was with the main character Turns into Mr. Ninja Combat Lord of the Zombies while running around the mansion and all the soliders are running around dying. He's hopping around in the rain without a shirt making scary faces while soliders are getting their faces chewed off. Wasn't he just a dumbass bike messenger? What's the deal with that?

Also worth noting is the whole lack of containment suits. You've got a virus. It's spread by blood transfusion and zombie bites and dripping blood. So why isn't everyone wearing Haz-Mat suits with masks? Then again, I guess you really can't act too well in a haz-mat suit that has a 12" x 12" plexi square for your face. I remember earlier in the film when the guy who turns into a zombie the black chick and him were both wearing gas-masks while out there. Why did they suddenly just stop wearing them after that initial pickup of the main character?

3.5 out of five. It was good, but certain things just didn't work with me.

Chronic Reagan
Oct 13, 2000

pictures of plastic men
Fun Shoe
I felt like I'd seen this movie before when watching it. To me the initial part of the movie felt like an old '80's science fiction movie from New Zealand called 'The Quiet Earth', where a guy wakes up and no-one else is around, and wanders around looking for people. The rest of the movie plays out like a standard zombie apocalypse movie. Not bad, but I don't think as deserving of all of the attention that it received. 3/5

pud
Jul 9, 2001
For all the hype this got, it would have been nice if they had snuck in at least one original idea. The movie isn't bad, it just "borrows" way too much from Romero, to the point that the entire last third of the movie is like a condensed version of Day. Also, most of the deserted London shots were much too clean looking. Considering how easy it was to be infected and how relentlessly the infected went after their victims one would expect either more zombies wandering around or a lot more corpses strewn about. 3/5.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
I didn't really care for this one. It was very, very slow, especially for a zombie movie, and the little amount of character they bothered to establish they violated in the second half I'm a badass big black girl who shoots zombies all day, even when they used to be my best friend. What's that? I might get raped? O NOES I WILL FALL APART NOW. Sure hope I can get rescued by some man :rolleyes:. Those weaknesses, plus the serious liability of fast zombies (slow zombies > fast zombies), made it the Denny's of zombie flicks -- if nothing else is showing, it'll do, but you'll feel vaguely dissatisfied afterwards. 2/5, mostly for the decent effects.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
On the DVD, there's a bonus feature that's a collage of still images (mostly storyboards) with some voice-overs to provide exposition that basically serves as an alternate second half of the film,. I actually found what was done here to be more interesting than the film itself, and it would have been interesting to see the whole movie make that way (though it would need to be a lot shorter).

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I thought this movie was terrible. It looked promising initially, but then it turned out to suck and not even really be a zombie movie. 1.5/5.

Oxilite
Apr 28, 2004
Say hello to your aunt Alicia, Bub!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 7, 2004

strudel_morgue
Oct 22, 2002
The first hour or so of this film is brilliant. The cinematography is one of the highpoints, and the scenes of a deserted London are chillingly beautiful. The filmakers are at their best here, creating a wonderfully atmospheric mood that's punctuated by bouts of harsh violence when the infected show up.

However, I had the same problem with this film that a lot of other viewers did: after the arrival at the army encampment, the film kind of putters out and begins shamelessly aping themes and plot points from Day of the Dead. As a serious zombie-flick fan, this is a major flaw in my eyes that's made many times worse considering that they were really on to something good for the first part of the film but then gave up and simply rehashed Romero's ideas for the second half.

For that, 28 Days Later gets a 3/5, but getting to see soldiers kick zombie rear end as an organized fighting force along with the crucial eye-gouging scene brings it up to a 3.5, or rather, it would if I could vote for that rating.

strudel_morgue fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 3, 2004

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
i thought it was pretty good, but as somebody mentioned before i would have liked to see the initial outbreak and all the civilization getting destroyed before the main character wakes up out of his coma. 3.5/5

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

quote:

Monkey Magic came out of the closet to say:
My beef with the film was with the main character Turns into Mr. Ninja Combat Lord of the Zombies while running around the mansion and all the soliders are running around dying. He's hopping around in the rain without a shirt making scary faces while soliders are getting their faces chewed off. Wasn't he just a dumbass bike messenger? What's the deal with that?

I think you missed the point of that scene - it wasn't trying to show him as some sort of Ninja Extrodinaire, it was just to show how he finally gave in to it all. Throughout the whole movie, he was constantly worrying, doubting, and was constantly scared making him the biggest pussy out of all of them. During that scene, he just snapped. He finally gave into his primal instincts and did what he had to do to survive without giving into fear. The movie is basically about man's primal instincts in a modernized world anyway.

My favorite scene in this movie is near the end, when the rage-infected soldiers are killing everyone in the mansion, and the still-high girl wearing the red dress kinda floats down the darkened hallway as she runs away. The angle + lighting + music just made it a fantastic scene for me. That and the 'This is a bad idea. You know why? Because it's very OBVIOUSLY a bad idea.' part that kinda pokes fun at most suspense/horror flicks out there :D

Anyway, I really enjoyed it so I give it a 4/5. I'm torn on whether or not I'd want to see a sequel (56 Days Later) but it might be nice to see absolute closure if it's done well.

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
This movie sucked. Saw it in theatres... I walked out. There was nothing orignal, and it was not scary in the least. My girlfriend screams at everything, but we both found this movie to be laughably bad.

lucky garnett
Oct 14, 2003

Swing Time
I'm glad to finally see I'm not the only one that hated this movie. Granted, zombie movies are not my thing, I was still intrigued by the trailer enough to pay money to see it. It was worthless. Not scary. Not fun. Not even remotely interesting, and everyone around me thought it was the greatest. I was baffled. I often think to myself when a movie isn't great "Was I at least somewhat entertained for two hours by this movie?" No. Now when someone asks me if there is a movie I don't like, this one comes to mind each and every time. I want my money back

DrMindbender
Feb 3, 2004
I really enjoyed this movie. As someone else pointed out, the cinematography was fantastic. The use of colors and angels were very well done. As someone else mentioned, A-List actors were not used and this gave an almost familiar feel to the characters, I think. I think that one of the reasons many people hate on this movie is due to the fact that they went in expecting a scary zombie movie. It wasn't scary in the horror sense of the word, nor did it try to get away with cheap or cliche thrills/scares, it took a more psychological twist on the genre which I thought was very refreshing. I give it a 4/5.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I wanted so badly to like this movie more. The first hour was awesome, but the end was a major disappointment.

First half 4/5 second half 1/5

2.5/5

Sensurround
Feb 6, 2003

I'm a big fan of horror films and usually watch them expecting to go incredibly stupidly wrong so I can get more entertainment laughing at them rather than enjoying them for what they are, but this was done really well. I give it a 4.5/5 on the horror movie scale

toolboi
Jul 24, 2002

While watching it I got this overwhelming sense that I was watching a movie of "Day of the Triffids" but with zombies instead of Triffids. The whole begining with the guy waking up in the hospital to find no one around. The looted buildings. Everything. Then they find the millitary, and my reaction was "yep, its Day of the Triffids". However then they pulled a punch, the millitary is actually less preferable. and more dangerous, than spending time with the zombies. Nice touch.

The acting was nothing special, but it wasnt bad. The cinematography was EXCELLENT. The atmosphere was good, as was the story. The characters were ok (I quite liked the black chick). Even the ending was acceptable, a rather nice happy ending.

Id give it a 4.

edit:

quote:

The point was that the zombies are dangerous because they are embodiments of rage, but their mental facillities are gone. At that point he is in a similar situation, all he has left is his rage and his life, and so, like the zombies them selves (notice he looks like one of them while this is going on) he goes apeshit and manages to take the guys out. Also remember that these are NOT well trained soldiers.

It also supports the argument that the soldier was making about it just being more people killing people.

toolboi fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 4, 2004

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
One of my all time favourite films. 5.

TwoShedsJackson
Sep 12, 2000

Get your own Arts Programme, you fairy!!
It started well, but the further they got from London, the worse the film got. The opening scenes in deserted London, great, the car alarm bit gave me the greatest shock.

By the time they got to the country mansion with the military it was starting to suck, and as for the ending - the alternate ending would have been a big improvement.

Disappointing.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
First off, I looked at this as not a zombie movie, but similar. No "brains" and slow dead guys, but deranged men who are just really sick (I don't recall it being said that they die between life and rage).

That in mind it was an original idea, and an original film. Sure it borrowed elements from Romero's classics -- but only to set up the flow of the movie. There were no zombies, but the same flow was used as is used in a lot of zombie movies (Day, Dawn, House of the Dead [lol])

The endings were atrocious, but the character development and music were both really well-done.

I give it a 3.5

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Having not seen very many zombie films in my life, and not knowing anything about 28 Days Later except that some virus is involved somehow, I went into this movie a couple of weeks ago looking for a couple of hours of entertainment and boy was I surprised. I absolutely loved the movie, the desertion everywhere they went, the madness of the infected, and the entire atmosphere and direction was just awesome.

The two main things I liked about this movie was the opening scene of him getting out of bed and not finding any people. It's something everybody dreams of happening and it just leaves you awe-struck. The second thing is that the movie actually had an ending, too many people would have ended the movie by fading to black as they drove away from the mansion (or crashed into the fence, whatever) but they pulled out that clever 28 Days Later... bit again and it worked really well.

4.5/5 from me.

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

This movie sucked turds. I wish I could say that I thought that there was an original idea in this film. It was like watching "Night of the comet" meets "Night of the Living Dead". I watched it till the end but I wished that I wouldn't have.

The most hilarious part of the DVD was watching the extra documentary where they were all talking about how the film was as brilliant as the first matrix. Not even close.

LimeGreenNinja
Dec 30, 2003

don't kill children don't run them over
I'm not a big zombie movie fan, so i went into this movie kinda thinking it would be :ok: considering it was directed by one of my all time favorite directors, Danny Boyle.

As the movie started out, i was drawn to it immediately. The scoring was very nice addition (by the way, for those of you who bought the soundtrack and was disappointed that it didn't have the scoring from the walk around vacant london scene, check out East Hasting - God Speed You Black Emperor, and try out their other music, they are musical genius :P). and the overall atmosphere was very well done. And after a while Danny Boyles talent begins to shine all this movie. If you saw this movie thinking it to be a thriller of a zombie movie, you were obviously disappointed. But i'm very into deep movies that give you new perspections on life and what night. And this movie, as i quote my friend, is "as deep as the ocean".

I love discussing this movie with friends, because it can easily be a topic that we can go on about for hours. And a similar film we do things like this with are movies like clockwork orange, american beauty, and requiem for a dream. There are many things that this movie points out that could easily reflect the fate of human kind. I also liked Boyles protrayal of the military. I could go on and on of how wonderful this movie is. Though it's definately not perfect. The ending was kind of blah and so were the alternates. But over all is this probably one of my top choices when someone asks me what movie they should watch.

I gave it a 4.5

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
Far too unoriginal to get anything better than a 4. This movie was ripped off entirely from movies done over 30 years ago. 3/5 for novelty of the actors and using Godspeed You! Black Emperor in the soundtrack.

Atari Stockholder
Sep 11, 2001

A hobblin' and a skippin'
For a low-budget flick, this really impressed me. There's some decent acting from Murphy and the premise was pretty good. Rated it a 4.

Atari Stockholder fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 11, 2011

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

its not as good as the trailer made it out to be at all. and its got male nudity.

MacRae
Jul 29, 2003

I really, really liked this movie. The characters were interesting, the plot was pretty cool, and I liked that they didn't try to use ridiculous nonsense science to explain how the virus worked - way better to just leave it as a plot device and not go out of control with explanation. Also, brilliant use of audio: the occasional use of music and periods of oppressive silence really added to the desolate feel of the whole film.

I think the beef a lot of people who didn't like the movie had is that they went in expecting a zombie movie and got something else (as was mentioned at least twice above). I honestly think this movie is better categorized as post-apocalyptic, since it is more a story of survival within the collapse of society than a story about killing zombies.

As far as the ending(s) are concerned, I don't actually have preference one way or another: on the one hand, having Jim die adds to the oppressive and bleak feel of the movie, but it also seems almost forced, in a way; slightly hackneyed and abrupt. The theatrical ending, with the jet and everyone being rescued and so forth, suffers from the same thing - it seems like it's forcing the movie out of the weird emotional dead zone the movie inhabits (everything happens so fast that it seems like nothing is really telgraphed to the viewer) and playing in part to peoples' expectations of what the ending 'should' be.

Deserted cities and the struggle for survival in once-familiar, now-hostile territory strike a chord with me. I give it a 5 out of 5.

urim
Oct 1, 2003
DON'T FUCK WITH LOWTAX
I saw it in theaters, and I really liked pretty much the entire first half - exploring the city, and the road trip. But like most people said, it really petered out once they found the military. I was hoping for some awesome organized military vs. zombies, but instead got crappy military idiots.
Also, I never got to see the alternate ending, so I don't know how that affected the movie. If anyone could, I'd appreciate someone just posting what it was.

Overall, the movie had a solid first half, okay action, and the introduction of the fast zombies, which will probably be used more and more from now on. Rating: 3.5/5

The Ace
Oct 28, 2003
Always got an ace up my sleeve
I am inclined to agree, however this isnt a zombie movie at all. The "zombies" portrayed in the film are actually quite alive, just crazed by the virus, Rage, making them "crazies". (A zombie is defined as an entity which has no vital functions, I.E. heart beat, resperation, blood circulation. The creatures from the movie had respritory, and circulitory function, also they could be killed without destroying the brain.) All the symbolism is there, human desire for survival, how isolated England is, social brake down, how the genetic potential for "rage" was in everyone "they're us and we're them" bit.

There are a few things that get in the way of me liking this movie. 1, the crazies did little more than run around, make an annoying screeching sound, and vomit blood all over people, not exactly scary.

2, the monsters starve to death at the end of the movie, what the gently caress.

3, Ninja bicycle messenger. A single untrained delivery man, gets the drop on a cadre of soldiers, fires a weapon he has never touched before with pinpoint accuracy, and manages to save the day. that is completly retarded.

4, the worst trained soldiers in the world. Not only do they get their asses kicked in by a bicycle carrier, they fire their weapons wildly, on full automatic, at every target, missing 99% of the time.

what good I can say about this movie, is that the cinematography is near perfect.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I liked this movie the first time I saw it. After seeing it I thought, "That was interesting, I can't wait for the DVD". Well I got the DVD, then I tried to watch the movie again and I just can't make it all the way through. Unlike other good movies, I just don't feel this one has very much replay value. Another negative comment about it was that it wasn't at all scary. I also didn't think very much of the whole bit with the soldiers. Somehow I felt as though I knew what was going to happen and that whole part of the film just wasn't that interesting and was taken down another notch with some over the top, totally unbelieveable action sequences (mentioned in some earlier posts).

On a positive note, the pacing of the film was pretty good and I happened to enjoy the musical score. It just fit the film and there was some neat imagery in the movie like the guy walking around an empty London. So there was some cool parts to it.

However, in the end this movie needed some work. 3.5/5

Farcus
Jan 11, 2004
Togetha?
HOLY BLOODY poo poo!!! This movie is crazy bad gently caress INSANE!!!! I just saw it on HBO and wow I gotta give it a 4.5 out of 5. The beginning remind me of Resident Evil which is sort of boring, but as the story progess on it got more interesting especially with all the zombies. With all of you guys talking about the alternative ending... can you inform me of what is the alternative ending? The ending I saw was that the protagonists made a big HELLO sign out of cloth when a British figher was flying overhead.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 14, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster

quote:

dySanX came out of the closet to say:
I thought this movie was terrible. It looked promising initially, but then it turned out to suck and not even really be a zombie movie. 1.5/5.