Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jc dracula
Nov 7, 2001
Directed by: James Cameron
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, Billy Zane

Holy crap this is terrible.

The hype and the money seemed to cloud the collective mindset when this thing came out. Watch it six years later. The CGI is terrible by modern standards, the performances are terrible by any standard, and the script is terrible by Cameron's standard, who is waaaaaay out of his element here.

It's 3+ hours that are almost unwatchable, full of pointless bloat and scene after scene of psuedo-romantic drivel. The soaring epic overtones of the whole thing just make it feel like a massive joke (this is confirmed by the ridiculous segments that bookend the plot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
How this won Best Picture at the Oscar's or any award for that matter is beyond me. Especially against quality films like As Good as it Gets and L.A. confidential. I couldn't agree more with what you said. Sadly I remember sitting through this piece in theatres and couldn't wait til it was over. Terrible movie.

x0nix
May 25, 2001

I give it 3/5. It's entertaining in a passes-the-time kind of way, plus it shows Kate Winslet nude.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
I thought it wasn't great, but it's not terrible either. Honestly I thought it was awful too, but that was just because of the hype it got. On it's own it's a decent sappy love story. Voted 3/5

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
It gets one extra point from me for Leonardo DiCaprio's frozen-stiff face near the end for a total of 2/5.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I'm obsessed with the titanic, have been since I was a kid, so I loved it personally. I give it a 5 for titanic fans.

xdrquinnx
May 5, 2002

ohmygod wasn't leo just SO dreeeeeeeeamy?

Wait, no he wasn't.

It was a decent movie with some impressive special effects. I'll give it a 3/5 for being very ambitious (apart from the actual plot).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Not as bad as most people make it out to be, but certainly not very good either. Sweeping the Oscars was a travesty, but if you didn't see it coming you must be blind.

Voted 3.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I think the hate you see projected onto this movie is largely a backlash against the overwhelming and exhausting hype that got heaped onto all of us. A shame, because Titanic is an incredible achievement from a technical standpoint, easily one of the most impressive films ever made in terms of its staggering scope. The plot and dialogue is strictly light fare, but as Ebert said in his review, "...if [Titanic's] story stays well within the traditional formulas for such pictures, well, you don't choose the most expensive film ever made as your opportunity to reinvent the wheel."

We have become so used to pictures that reverse and inside-out standard plots that when a film comes along that relies on the tried-and-true stories that have defined popular genre films since the glory days of Hollywood, we have a tendency to deride it for these qualities. The performances are reasonably credible, the story moves along smoothly, and the overall effect was spellbinding for me. I would love to drop Jack Dawson off a cliff as much as the next guy, but I can't deny the fact that I sat in the theater for three hours and was successfully drawn into the drama and tragedy of the Titanic's doomed voyage. 5/5. GOD I FEEL SO DIRTY

PoSeiDoN
Jun 14, 2003

These go to 11.
I sat in my seat in total shock and amazement when the lookouts missed the iceberg, and when the captain and pilot couldn't navigate the boat around it, I just sat in my chair wondering "what kind of moron engineer made the turning radius so tight on a boat of this size?". Then, my worst nightmare came true, they HIT THE drat ICEBERG! And I mean it tore a huge chunk out of the side of that boat too. It was a true tragedy when it started to sink, thanks again to the moron engineers.

Wait - I knew all this happened before I went to the theatres and slept through it. 3 outta 5 for the fact that we all knew the ending before we went in there and we weren't exactly shocked by it. It had good shots thanks to Cameron, but I still fall in love with it like rivetz....

SpokkerJones
Nov 9, 2002

by Ozma
I love everything about this movie except for the retarded romance. I agree with everything rivetz said.

TheAngry One
Aug 8, 2003

I'd swim through a river of shit with my mouth open to suck the dick of last bloke that fucked Natalie Portman
I hated this movie, for turning a sinking ship into a 3 hour, suicide-inducing bore-fest. James Cameron undid the fine work he put into his career with films like Aliens, and the first two Terminator films, by making this monstrosity. I actually think DiCaprio is a very fine actor (Catch Me If You Can, Gangs Of New York, Basketball Diaries and Gilbert Grape for example), but in this film, he sucks rear end, big time.
The really bad things is, this is my missus's favourite film :(.

Why can't there be a -1/5 option?

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Why this movie was "so great" escapes me.

It's way too long and quite sappy. 2/5.

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
Why this movie is "so bad" escapes me. I cried. Yeah you loving heard me. I was like, 11 when this movie came out.

See what i'm talking about, all that anti-Titanic backlash made this movie out to be worse than it really was. It was sad but it was really well made and not to mention certain scenes were absolutely beautiful.

Perhaps it didn't deserve all the awards it got, but it deserved a few of them at least, and while this is not my most eloquent review I have to say, it's a good drat movie.

esky
Apr 15, 2003
3 cuz it's one of the better sappy movies.. generally agree with the other 3s

blatch
Feb 17, 2003

by Ozma
I enjoyed this movie. I thought it was well done, albeit overhyped. It deserved all of its winnings, IMO.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
Titanic is not a bad film, howerever it is severly over-rated. I will say the the part when it showed the corpses in the water, including the baby. caused a big emotional response.

that's about it. 3/5

The Phantom Goat fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 4, 2004

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I also agree with everything Rivetz said.

I never understood why so much hate was directed towards this movie... seems like it mostly came from angry young men who have a serious problem with Leonardo DiCaprio.

It was a fantastic film.

4.5/5

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Could have been so much better with less Leonardo Dicaprio, but it had naked Kate Winslet, so woot. 3 or so.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
I agree with rivetz, but it felt a little drawn out, especially the romance crap.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

quote:

nudejedi came out of the closet to say:
I agree with rivetz, but it felt a little drawn out, especially the romance crap.

I agree with what this man says, cept for the rivitz part and the 3.5. It was horribly boring.

2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's not that awful. Just rather simple. Rich people bad, poor people good. The villain of the story is so absurdly evil, I'm surprised they didn't try to blame him for the sinking of the ship. So, kinda corny and kinda stupid, but not too bad. Rating: 3.5