Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Directed by: Martin Scorsese
Starring: Robert De Niro, Cybill Shepherd, Harvey Keitel, Jodie Foster

My favourite Martin Scorsese film. Robert De Niro (in maybe his best acting) plays a Vietnam veteran Travis Bickle who works as a taxi driver in New York City. Mentally unstable, paranoid and with insomnia, Travis more and more disgusted with city scum involves himself with diverse individuals such as a presidential campaign worker (Cybill Shepherd), an underage hooker (Jodie Foster) and her pimp (Harvey Keitel).

Taxi Driver is an excellent psychological / crime drama with film-noir influenced aspects. The soundtrack is also wonderful adding a lot of atsmophere. Composer Bernard Hermann died only hours after concluding the recording sessions.

5/5 without hesitation.

PROS: Fantastic direction, character development, acting, score
CONS: N/A

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075314/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
this film is probably one of the best depictions of loneliness and alienation you can find.

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Electric Aunt Jemima - Goddess of Love
Good movie. I'd argue that it's slightly overrated. It's true that it's a good psychological study in alienation.

3.5/5

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.
it might go without saying, but this is absolutely my favorite film of all time. even actors/actresses i have a very low opinion of (Cybill Shepherd) do good work here. fantastic work all around.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
Travis Bickle is one of the most interesting film characters I can think of, and De Niro's performance really captures the disillusionment a lot of people experienced in the shadow of Vietnam. The attitude towards politics and society the film has is incredibly cynical, but not overbearingly so. This is one of the most "American" post-war films IMO, and it really has the pulse of the disatisfaction and social malaise of the period.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
Robert DeNiro's work in this film is possibly the greatest single onscreen acting performance of all time. Rated 4.5/5

The_Yeti_Hunter
Jan 29, 2004
Best movie to ever grace my monitor, plain and simple. If I remember correctly, he
was ranked #30 on the top 100 villains of all time list. Needless to say, he's my favorite villain of all time. Oh and he looks like my dad.

5/5

Best movie ever.

The_Yeti_Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 4, 2004

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Also note the plot similarities to John Ford's quintessential Western "The Searchers." War veteran main character, wandering male loneliness as the major theme, a bloody rescue at the end, and imagery that brings Native Americans to mind. Anyway, this movie is worth a 5 regardless of interesting film nerd tie-ins.

bbacc101
Oct 29, 2003
great film. though quite depressing, it offers a different perspective that usual. The outsider, Travis Bickle, is a lonely, isolated and confused person. He doesn't understand society and society doesn't understand him.

In my opinion, one of Scorcese's best pieces of work.

4.5/5

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
The seedy underbelly of New York in the mid 70s has never had such a fantastic expose. From the dreary, dark visuals to the absolutely defining Bernard Herrmann score (To my mind).

For my money, Schrader outdoes Towne and a yet to be seen Millius in the screenwriter stakes, delving into the neo-cinma verite realism of the auter focused 70s. It is a pity his work has never been this strong or raw since.

I could go on for hours about this film, but as this forum is full of short, concise reviews, I will stop here and leave it be :)

5/5

Markzillla
Aug 31, 2001

quote:

janklow came out of the closet to say:
it might go without saying, but this is absolutely my favorite film of all time. even actors/actresses i have a very low opinion of (Cybill Shepherd) do good work here. fantastic work all around.

Really? I thought everyone was great in this movie except Cybill Shepherd, and I always cringe at her scenes in this. I'd give this movie a 5 if they'd got someone halfway decent for her role but as it is I give it a 4.5, 'cos she really doesn't play a large part, in terms of lines I mean.

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no

quote:

Markzillla came out of the closet to say:

Really? I thought everyone was great in this movie except Cybill Shepherd, and I always cringe at her scenes in this. I'd give this movie a 5 if they'd got someone halfway decent for her role but as it is I give it a 4.5, 'cos she really doesn't play a large part, in terms of lines I mean.

I have to disagree with you there. Cybill Shepherd gives her only decent performance (In my mind) on celuloid in this film. Sure, no real depth - but she's there to be the sexpot inspiration for Travis' initial realizations.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

quote:

Markzillla came out of the closet to say:
Really? I thought everyone was great in this movie except Cybill Shepherd, and I always cringe at her scenes in this.
well, aside from what LordEvilElmo said, it's not so much about Scorsese getting great work out an average actress, it's about him getting good work out of a lovely actress. if anything, the worst thing about her in this movie is that it gave future directors the impression she had acting talent.

MysteryMeat
May 1, 2003

Say hello to my leetul friend!
Scorsese makes a cameo role in this film as the man in the backseat of Dinero's taxicab who sees his wife cheating on him in the apartment window.

This film is visually harsh and beautiful at the same time. It shows you how isolation can work on the human mind and how life can have very different results depending on the choices you make shooting a scumbag (the pimp) as opposed to a respected member of society (the politician).

5/5

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

This is perhaps the most interesting american film I've ever seen. The movie doesn't contain itself in a simple and coherent plotline but instead wanders about and surprises the viewer with what I consider to be a unique narrative style. The score and cinematography are top-notch, nothing to add here. I don't really get what's everybody's beef with Cybil Shepherd; I found her acting to be very sensual, and although some might call her role insipid, I deem she was subtle enough without ever doing up with more than what was expected or required. And she's so hot, too.

Oh, and no one ever sported the mohawk as well as DeNiro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogbert5
Feb 17, 2004
"con" "insult" -> "consult"
I must say I was disappointed. I did not find Travis to be a very interesting character. I could see from the beginning how the movie would turn out. And I think Robert DeNiro didn't show nearly enough emotion. I guess that was kind of the point -- that he had a lot of anger and confusion and he didn't know how to express it or deal with it so he went crazy and killed a bunch of people. But I just think there was something off about the performance, and the whole movie. Maybe it was the he showed emotion in the wrong places, when he was supposed to show emotion he didn't show enough.... Or maybe it was perfect and it just wasn't interesting to me?

Don't get me wrong, I am a big Scorcese and DeNiro fan.

dogbert5 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 24, 2004