Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!
Directed by: Antonia Bird
Starring: Guy Pearce, Robert Carlyle

Captain John Boyd, receives a promotion after defeating the enemy command in a battle of the Mexican-American War in 1847, but because the general realizes it was an act of cowardice that got him there, he is given a backhanded promotion to Fort Spencer out in the desolate Sierra-Nevedas, where he is third in command. The others at the fort are two Indians, George and Martha; Chaplain Toffler, Reich, the soldier; Cleaves, a drugged-up cook; and Knox, who is frequently drunk. When a Scottish stranger named Colquhoun appears and recovers from frostbite, he tells a chilling story about his party leader, Ives, eating other members of the party to survive. As part of their duty, they must go up to the cave where this occurred to see if any have survived. Only Martha, Knox, and Cleaves stay behind. George warns that since Colquhoun admits to eating human flesh once, he must be a Windigo, a ravenous cannibalistic creature. The movie unfolds into a mind-boggling, plot-twister. There isn't much food for everybody and a long winter is ahead. How will they possibly survive? Because, once you have tasted the flesh of a human you crave for more and that is exactly what this movie is based on.

I give this a movie a well deserved 3.. out of 5.

PROS: -
CONS: -

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I love the music used in this movie. It's just so bizarre.

pud
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

danthemitchell came out of the closet to say:

Heh, took the words right out of my mouth.

I thought it was a fun dark comedy, and it's a shame that Bird apparently fell off the face of the earth after this.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

4.5 for me. I love this movie, and like someone mentioned, the music is a huge part of the reason. I think there's a current car commercial that uses the main theme from this movie. It's really weird seeing a happy family driving their new minivan to music that I closely associate with human dismemberment and cannibalism.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
A nice, very odd film. I agree that the music is ideally suited, though it is a bit freaky at times. Having re-watched this recently I considered it a shame it wasn't slightly more blood-thirsty. I'm not an out-and-out gore freak, but this didn't strike me as a film rooted in subtlety, so some more 'extreme' stuff would have worked well.

I agree that it is a shame Bird seemed to vanish without a trace. I saw one of her other films - Face - and that was really good, as I remember.

Back on topic however, Ravenous gets a fleshy 3.5/5

"Robert"
May 24, 2001

The Go-To Guy for Kitten Pics
this movie is really hard to sell -- it has a particularly terrible trailer and on top of that its very hard to quickly summate the kind of humor/terror mix this movie is comprised of. its not like evil dead, because its not particularly campy, but its certainly not a donner party documentary either. for lack of a better analogy, it seems to me like a cross between dead man and the keep.

edit: the score is the workings of michael nyman, who does a lot of experimental film scores, and damon albarn from blur.

4.5/5

"Robert" fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 3, 2004

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

A very easily overlooked movie. I really like the style it's done in, a serious dark comedy.

Plus, you can get it for very cheap now.

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
I saw this at a goon meet and I was quite impressed overall. I wouldn't hesitate to watch it again. Plus, like others have noted, EXCELLENT soundtrack.

4/5

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000

quote:

danthemitchell came out of the closet to say:

It's music made with the same instruments used by campfire and army bands of that time period. The soundtrack is really interesting and worth watching the movie if not just for it alone.

Although the movie by itself is great. 5/5

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
A quirky thriller with an amazing soundtrack...

4/5

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 4, 2004

aos
Mar 4, 2004
I concur on the soundtrack point. Further, I thought the overall storyline had great twists that I didn't see coming, interesting ethical controversies, great casting, and an A+ atmosphere. I wasn't taken out of the complete immersion the movie provides for you throughout the entire time.

5/5

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
This is a movie made by its soundtrack. Take that music out and it's fun and watchable. Definitely worth seeing but no masterpiece. 3.5/5

One
Jan 9, 2003
My username is creative.
After I finished watching the movie I watched the extras on the DVD which contained the trailer preview. The trailer gives away the good parts and generally misrepresents the movie.

Do not watch the trailer preview before watching this movie!

Well worth seeing this movie still. 3.5/5

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
A great movie that manages to embrace how different it is from most others. The second half can't sustain the momentum of the first, but it's still a enjoyable ride all the way through.

4/5

and finally,

HE WAS LICKING ME!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nursekittie
Oct 7, 2002

Now who told you that lie?
He licked me too, but i liked it.

I only recommend this movie if you like long boring movies. I didn't quite enjoy it. In the end it seemed like a fairytale to me....complete misery to my ears. I enjoyed the snow and david arquette. The music is hilarious. 2.5/5

I love you long time! :keke: