Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Directed by: Brett Sullivan
Starring: Emily Perkins, Tatiana Maslany, Janet Kidder

Ginger Snaps II sucks balls. In it, a teenaged girl named Brigitte (Emily Perkins) is locked up in an psychiatric center for shooting up wolfsbane. She's slowly morphing into a werewolf, you see. Befriended by Ghost (Tatiana Maslany), a fellow occult-obsessed patient, she gets her hands on more drugs and escapes the center. Brigitte soon learns that another, full-formed werewolf is on their trail, and reveals that it is looking to mate with her.

The movie actually started out okay. In particular, Tyler, one of the aid workers at the clinic who used his access to drugs to get sexual favours from the girls, looked as if he'd turn into a slimy and effective antagonist. Unfortunately, all the tension was thrown behind the stupid loving werewolf, relying on gore and exposing the third-rate Canadian production values of this mess.

There's absolutely no tension because the movie constantly reminds us that there's no cure for Brigitte's condition. And even if there was, who cares? I mean, who the gently caress do we root for here? We never see a good side of Brigitte, she's just a prickly bitch. Ghost is a histrionic little garden gnome who deserves the poor treatment she receives. The rest of the patients are stereotypical teenage bad girls. There's nobody to identify with, nobody sympathic. A bunch of bad things happen to an unlikable group of assholes and I'm supposed to feel--?

Not only that, but they choose the most insipidly appropriate locales. The psych ward looks like a goddamn mausoleum, and Ghost's grandma's house looks like a haunted house. The roads are dark, the forest is foreboding. Everyone dresses up in black. loving cheap convienient style is no replacement for substance. God, and Ghost is such a slobbering, loving annoying dipshit that you can't wait for her to get her comeuppance that never comes (because she's the protagonist apparently?).

What a befuddled third-term abortion of a movie Ginger Snaps II is. It's the sort of movie goths would make about themselves, self-indulgent and lame, misconstruing the apathy of everyone else as misunderstanding and fear.

PROS: There's one scene where girls spontaneously begin masturbating
CONS: Everything else

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353489/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

"Robert"
May 24, 2001

The Go-To Guy for Kitten Pics
yow, harsh. i thought it was a solid, not-quite-as-good follow-up to the first movie, which i loved. this one is substantially darker and has a lot more loose ends, but its still worth watching. don't be fooled by kate isabelle's profile on the cover -- she doesn't do much but act as bridgette's id in this one.

3/5.

Spasms
Jun 11, 2003

I'm gettin' heartburn. Tony, do something terrible.
One of the worst movies I have ever seen. I barely stayed for the whole thing.

0.5/5

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I'd thought Ginger Snaps 2 was great. I found the soundtrack to be quite good and adding to the overall dark mood of the movie. The sly and dark humour littered throughout the film definately gave me some laughs (honestly if you rent the DVD do yourself a favour, and check out the audition for the lady who was the group therapy leader, it's hilarious). Normally I don't make note of death scenes, but this movie had one that I actually found to be very impressive. Finally, it had a plot twist at the end that was completely unexpected.

Good music. Funny. Death that's the best I've ever seen in a movie. Completely unexpected plot twist. This get's a solid 4.5/5 from me. I enjoyed the first, and I think this one's better.

tuwhitt
Jan 5, 2004
What the fuck does tuwhitt mean?
Compared to the first one this one aint poo poo.

But otherwise, it's a decent warewolf movie that is never boring. Some pretty sweet effects as well, for the budget. There wasn't anything too great about the movie, but there also wasn't anything that BAD about it either. I had fun.

3/5