Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boy Named Sue
Apr 19, 2003

YARRRRRR!!!
Directed by: Ron Howard
Starring: Russel Crowe, Ed Harris, Jennifer Connelly

Before this movie, my opinion of Russell Crowe wasn't the greatest. I had always pictured him a bad actor, a tough guy with a short temper who hit his 'swan song' with Gladiator and would quickly fade into Hollywood obscurity.

Boy, was I wrong. I actually saw this movie on a lost bet and I'm very glad I did indeed lose.

Russell Crowe is amazing as playing mathematician John Nash. Nash is "a partly shy, yet ironic and sometimes even arrogant" character and very hard to pin down emotionally and personality wise. Crowe plays the part without fail, bringing the character to life on the big screen in such a way that makes me question why he didn't win an Oscar that year. (For the record, Denzel Washington won it for 'Training Day')

Ron Howard, for all of his heavy handed Hollywood cheese he is capable of, does a fantastic job of putting the viewer in Crowe/Nash's shoes. The plot twists litterally come out of no where and help drive the story further, instead of bogging it down with needless "GASP! I SURE DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING!" moments that are so typical in Hollywood, he takes the plot and uses it to drive the story deeper.

Ed Harris too is equally amazing as the stern, authorative William Parcher, an operative with the Department of Defense. Harris could have very easily stolen the show. Another great performance from one of Hollywood's best.

Crowe may not be the most popular actors on the forums, but if you enjoy well acted, well directed, though provoking movies, I highly suggest this. A modern day classic if there ever was one.

4.5/5

PROS: Amazing acting job by Russell Crowe; great direction by Ron Howard
CONS: A bit too long

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0268978/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

The main problem I have with this film is that it was marketed as a biopic, but it is in no way representative of Nash's actual life. Every ounce of emotion in the movie was forced, and it is complete Hollywood garbage. The movie is an insult to Nash and the intelligence of anyone who watches it.

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
I don't care if it's a true story. I hate this feel-good "love can conquer all" pap. I also don't care if I didn't "get it".

2/5

fragile
May 28, 2003
The Guy with the Face
Schizophrenia, and mental illness in general, scare the poo poo out of me. The fact that it's based on a true story, and has capable actors makes it even better.

4.5/5

MysteryMeat
May 1, 2003

Say hello to my leetul friend!
I didn't know anything about the person on which this movie was based. I liked A Beautiful Mind all the way up until the end when he decides he's going to get over his mental illness by willpower alone.

That's not how most mental illness works especially schizophrenia, and I thought it was trite of the director to put that in. However, if this is actually what Nash did in real life, then kudos to him.

3/5

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
I'm not much of a Russel Crowe fan, but I did enjoy this movie. It's not something I'd rush out and buy the DVD over though.

3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Russell Crowe was good. The movie was great up until the less-than-sensical end.

I found it interesting, though.

3.5/5