Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
Directed by: Wes Anderson
Starring: Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Olivia Williams

This is another fantastic modern comedy from Wes Anderson, who also did Bottle Rocket and The Royal Tenenbaums.

Max Fischer (Schwartzman) is a 15 year old student who is attending Rushmore Academy. While he is failing academically, he is the master of his domain when it comes to organizing and participating in extracurricular activities. His life begins to complicate when he falls in love with Rosemary Cross (Williams), a teacher at the elementary division of Rushmore (it sounds creepy and pedo but it's not that bad as it's really based on her personality and purely non-sexual...at least that's what I got from it). Herman Blume (Murray, in one of his best recent roles besides Lost In Translation), a wealthy factory owner in a midlife crisis of his own, is befriended by Max but begins to fall in love with Rosemary as well. A feud begins to emerge as a result of this love triangle involving Max and Herman and as a result, their lives begin to crumble.

This is one of my favorite comedies. Very quotable and the humor is subtle enough that it warrants multiple viewings. Don't get this review wrong though, there are lots of parts that are funny enough on the first time through.

5/5

PROS: Excellent story and acting
CONS: Humor may be too subtle for some (not meant to sound pretentious or anything)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128445/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humanity
Mar 5, 2003

Dove Oven Mitts!
This was an awesome movie, not only as a comedy but also as an interesting story of several very different individuals whose lives come together. The humor is subtle and strange at times but pretty much always delivers. The characters are very likable and Bill Murray along with Jason Schwartzman makes a great comedic duo. Its this young kid and a grown man but it doesnt seem that way. Its like two old friends on the same level.

Either way, great movie i would give it a 5/5

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
This is one of my top 3 favorite movies. A movie designed for Bill Murray who is a terrific actor. The story/acting/characters are all top notch. Oh, and the music was great too.

*Extra pros: Was filmed in Houston<3 and a friend got to meet Murray(his mom was his massuse(sp?)) and Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson went to my college.

5.5/5

crihsagnlel
Jan 15, 2004

by SpokkerJones
my auto-away message in aim is, "I was punched in the face, what's your excuse?".

I love this movie more than myself ,'/

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't know what it is about this movie, but I loved Bottle Rocket and Royal Tenenbaums, while I didn't enjoy this one nearly as much. If I had to guess why, I would say because this movie is rather mean-spirited, and it also isn't easy to see what direction the movie is going in. While I still found things I thought were funny and thought the movie was above average, at times I found myself wondering where the movie was going and why I was still watching it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Loved this movie. Quirky and yet totally engaging. The scenes are exactly the right length, and there's only one line of dialogue at the end that bothered me --it was an easy and abrupt joke about dynamite hurting somebody in rehearsals or something. The "you are forgiven" sequence of revenges is excellent. Murray's "I'm a little lonely these days" and the drunken semi-suicide leap into the pool at his kids' birthday party are priceless. 5/5

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 28, 2004

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

great movie, very clever. good acting and story. 5.

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!
Even the child star had a nearly flawless performance. 5/5

Evil Adam
Jul 18, 2003

He's very good.
Despite it being the second greatest soundtrack I've ever heard, every time I watch it I get really bored. The jokes are funny, but I think it just drags so slowly that I lose focus. Same goes for Royal Tenenbaums. I love the soundtrack, but the movie just didn't really interest me. I want to like them, but oh well.
3/5

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
I enjoy it more than Bottle Rocket, but not as much as Royal Tenenbaums. RT never drags for me, while Rushmore does get boring at times. Still, Max Fischer is a wonderful character, all the acting is great (especially Bill Murray) and the movie is hilarious.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Great film. I had never seen it, but based on reviews I bought it sight unseen on DVD (Criterion of course). Some of the best money I've ever spent. 4.5.

Bathing Poodle
Nov 28, 2003

by Fistgrrl
This is one of my favorite movies ever. There was a period of a couple weeks when I watched this movie every day, and never got bored. I've probably seen it more than 50 times, and every single time has been awesome. The timing is perfect, the humor is dry, subtle and brilliant, the acting is incredible, and the music makes up the best soundtract I've ever heard. 5.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madattheinternet
May 8, 2004

PLEASE STOP! PLEASE!
I saw this for the first time today and I enjoyed it very much. After seeing "The Life Aquatic" last night, I found a friend with Rushmore on VHS and took it in this afternoon. The characters are lovable and fun, the scenery is true and the story was cute. I'm not a deep, intellectual movie-goer but I saw through a few layers of the movie and enjoyed a lot of the symbolisim.

I went into this film after a quick summary from my friend expecting a Ferris Bueller/Breakfast Club/10 Things I Hate About You kind of high school flick but quickly found out that it was nothing like the others in it's genre. This is a movie you should watch sober.

As usual, Bill Murray is probably the most lovable character and I feel that his deadpan expression really made the film.

4/5