Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Directed by: The Farrelly Brothers
Starring: Cameron Diaz, Ben Stiller, Matt Dillon

IMDB posted:

Ted was a geek in high school, who was going to go to the prom with one of the most popular girls in school, Mary. The prom date never happened, because Ted had a very unusual accident. Thirteen years later he realizes he is still in love with Mary, so he hires a private investigator to track her down. That investigator discovers he too may be in love with Mary, so he gives Ted some false information to keep him away from her. But soon Ted finds himself back into Mary's life, as we watch one funny scene after another.

Probably the Farrelly brothers best accomplishment. When this movie was released there was so much controversy over how out of control it was I just had to see it. There are so many jaw dropping scenes that make this movie arguably the best comedy of the 90s. This is Ben Stiller's best movie in my opinion and Cameron Diaz does a great job as well. Matt Dillon pulls off a hilarious performance and there are many other memorable characters, such as Woogy (Chris Elliot), the hitchhiker (Harland Williams), and of course we can't forget about Warren. This movie never gets old for me and each time I watch it I find myself repeating lines from it for the next week. Hilarious scene after hilarious scene. If you want to sit back for 2 hours and just laugh your rear end off then 'There's Something About Mary' is definitely for you.

PROS: -
CONS: -

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129387/

Bearnt! fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 4, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
I'll probably get flamed for this, but good Christ this film was overrated.

Maybe about 2 funny scenes in total and the rest was just your average Farrelly Brothers crap, i.e., trying to be funny by attempting to use second-grade-level gross-out humour to cover up their shameful lack of true wit.

It's not that I have something against gross-out humour, when it's done well. It's just that it's such an easy way out if you don't want to actually put effort into making a movie truly funny.

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

I agree that this film is totally overrated and sophmoric. I usually hate ben stiller though - so maybe I am biased. (you think?) I just didn't laugh enough during this film - even during the famous ear goo scene.

Milkman Spawn
Jul 30, 2003
Nuts N' Gum, together at last!
This was at least an entertaining movie, perhaps a tad overrated. One thing I liked was how hot Cameron Diaz was, which made it more fun to watch. Overall, the plot was cool too, not too intricate, but not too simple. There were also some funny scenes as well. This is one of those movies that you should see because there are some lines or scenes from it that are commonly mentioned, such as the "Franks and beans!" or the whole hairgel fiasco.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend and I loathe Ben Stiller. Let me put it this way: about 6 months after we saw it with some friends, we got to see it again as a bonus double feature. After watching the movie we had paid to see, we couldn't sit through this movie for more than 10 minutes before leaving in disgust.