Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbertHerring
Oct 10, 2003

king of the may more like governor of virginia
Directed by: Fred Zinnemann
Starring: Paul Scofield, Wendy Hiller

Robert Bolt's play A Man for All Seasons is one of the towering accomplishments of late 20th century British theater, and it was inevitable that, sooner or later, it should be adapted for the screen. Bolt adapted it himself, and for the most part the result is quite good. The only quibble I have about it is that Bolt cuts the character of the Common Man, a stroke of genius in the play. He said, apparently, that people didn't understand what the role meant. A great pity, because the Common Man was one of the best elements in the original.

Paul Scofield, as usual, turns in a stupendous performance as Sir Thomas More, chancellor to Henry VIII who lost his head (and was eventually canonized) for refusing to recognize the king's divorce and second wedding. Wendy Hiller is suitably gruff as his wife, Alice. Of the other players, two are notable; Orson Welles, who portrays Cardinal Wolsey in one of his last forays into film, and Leo McKern (later famous as "Rumpole of the Bailey"), as More's persecutor Cromwell. All of the actors are good, save for Robert Shaw as Henry himself - I find him to be a bit too loud and overbearing for the part. His performance lacks nuance just when it needs it most.

Overall, a satisfying adaptation of the play.

5/5

PROS: Fairly good adaptation of the play, excellent performances by most actors
CONS: Missing the character of the Common Man

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060665/#comment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahellfish
Jun 3, 2003
A great movie with wonderful performances, direction, etc. It also contains one of my favorite movie moments of all time, when King Henry jumps out of his boat. I don't have much else to say, so see this movie!

strongly recommended. 5/5

Crazy Newbie
Dec 11, 2002
My favorite play ever. The movie owned and the girl who played... Elizabeth? was mad hot. No common man = =(

Crazy Newbie
Dec 11, 2002

quote:

ahellfish came out of the closet to say:
A when King Henry jumps out of his boat.

MUD!