Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Directed by: Tim Burton
Starring: Pee Wee Herman

I saw this movie when I was very young and loved it. Growing up, we used to quote this movie CONSTANTlY among friends.

I'm all grown up now, but I recently purchased the DVD. And this movie is still really hilarious. Yeah, some of it's cheesy. But there's just so much goofy stuff. Every time I watch it there's some minor or major detail that becomes funnier during the viewing.

I won't bother trying to quote any of the lines or explain any of the gags. It wouldn't come out right. But I love this movie.

Don't be fooled by thinking this movie is geared towards kids, this is one of my favorite movies of all time.

RATING: 5

PROS: Funny, very weird, tons of memorable quotes
CONS: Some of it's cheesy

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img2/7268/marge.jpg

What an awesome movie.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
love or hate peewee, this is a brilliant film that has the rare quality of being funny to children and adults alike. very very funny.

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son
I saw this starting on TV last year, having not seen it for a good 10 years I sat down to watch, expecting some nostalgia and maybe a few chuckles. Jesus was I surprised! It turned out to be the funniest movie I've seen in many years. The dance scene deserves an honored place in film history. Seeing as how my video stores don't have it, I've finally tracked down an online store that has it, and it's on it's way to me now.

If it weren't for the... unpleasantness, who knows how great Pee Wee's movies could've gotten.

Highly recommended.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

This movie is the basis for my fear of clowns. gently caress you Paul Reubens. Also, this movie is great, and gets funnier the older you get. So many jokes were aimed so far over a kid's head that it's obvious the writers and director knew parents were going to be forced to watch this.

Paranda
Jun 9, 2003

I watched this as a kid 10 years ago and thought it was the stupidest thing in the world. Since then my attitude towards this movie has inverted. Highly recommended.

Otis
Apr 13, 2004

The part where Pee-Wee is paging the movie-version of himself makes me laugh every time. I love the voice they used for it. "You have a telephone call."
This movie is a classic.

Ramen Soup
Mar 17, 2004
Chicken finger gourmet
When I was little Large Marge scared the gently caress out of me. Then I saw it again about six years after the first time and loved it. Oh Tim Burton...I want to have his babies.

CaptMrWill
Jan 26, 2004
www.will-o-rama.com
Truly a brilliant film. It provides an insight at a young Tim Burton, and shows why every movie he releases gets good attendance no matter how bad it is. The bright and childish feel is balanced to perfection by some of the darkest scenes ever produced on film. Similarly, the low budget aspects of the original (the chain entering through the bottom of the bike tub and the rail under the moving road signs) add a level of reality of the budget this film was produced with (though they were edited out of the DVD). With the brilliant use of props, set design, and particularly color and direction, this film withstands the test of time despite some dated special effects. Five stars for the artistic elements alone.

And that doesn't even take the classic lovable underdog tale into account and tremendous casting. E.G. Daly (Perhaps best known as the voice of Tommy from The Rugrats) was the female counterpart of Pee Wee, and Mark Holton (Teen Wolf) was the perfect nemesis.

I true classic.

locdogg
Nov 16, 2000

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This film is imho Tim Burton's greatest achivement. The brilliant writing of Phil Hartman combined with a classic performance from Paul Rubens leads to possibly the best movie of the 1980s. There are so man brilliant touches that add to the film that go unnoticed or unloved by most, yet make this movie hilarious. The way Mickey looks at Pee Wee while he's in the dress, Tina the tour guide, Francis' bath tub and the biker bar to name a few. Add in an awesome score from Danny Elfman and you have a movie that will be regarded as a classic for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
A brilliantly weird comedy whose appeal has not diminished in the least over time. Tim Burton + Paul Reubens make for a great combination that's goofy and playful enough to make a winning kids' movie, yet twisted and surreal in a way that hip adults will find every bit as satisfying.

Pee-Wee is in top form here, and there's so many moments of wonderful absurdity and visual cleverness that it's impossible to take it all in in a handful of viewings. Some of the jokes may eventually look a little dated (Mr. T cereal or the Dee Snyder cameo), but overall "Big Adventure" is without a dull moment and right up there with "The Jerk" in its comic horsepower.

5/5