Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
Directed by: Hirokazu Koreeda
Starring: Arata / Erica Oda / Susumu Terajima

A group of young people get ready for work. When they arrive at their jobs they are lectured about their upcoming work load for the week. They anticipate a great deal of work. They are case workers, but unlike normal case-workers, they handle the cases of the dead.

When you die, you arrive at a place like this. It is non-descript, with no glowing lights or angelic halos. It snows here, this place has seasons. The people who help you, the case-workers, are normal people. They died just like you. They are going to help you move on to the afterlife. They are going to help you choose one memory to take. Why only one memory? That's the rule. It's the moment you shall re-live in eternity.

Afterlife was part of the Japanese cinema revival, a movement that was attempting to reclaim the Japanese cinema industry for the Japanese. Several films like this were what broke through and scored critical acclaim around the world for their imagination and introspective nature about the human spirit.

I loved this movie for it's characters. Each one has a different story, and each one has a different reason to tell it, or to hide it. When I watched it I actually felt like I was participating in something precious, by watching the memories of real people. It's a strange film like that, but that's what makes it recommendable, as the emotions and texture portrayed in the film are describle only in the tangent feelings they produce.

I only with there were more creative and hauntingly beautiful films made like this. This is another one of my personal favorites and I think it should be enjoyed by every body.

RATING: 5

PROS: A thoughtful, imaginative and beautiful character drama
CONS: It's a slow film, but that's not necessarily a bad thing

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165078/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU