Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I've watched this film a few times in the last week or so leading up to a discussion I'm supposed to lead about it, so I figured I'd take the chance to weigh in here as well (and also brag that I have the Criterion DVD, neener-neener).

The first time I saw this, maybe six or seven year ago, I really wasn't all that impressed with it. I think a lot of that reaction had to do with the horrible translation of the subtitles on the VHS I watched it on, but since then, I've gotten to see a more accurate version of the film, and my opinion of it has increased dramatically (which is also probably due to changes in my taste in film). This has become one of my favorite action films of all time, and not just for the stylized gunplay and choreography of the violence, but also for the integration of different genre codes and the prevailing philosophy of religion and spiritual redemption.

It's interesting that the film is framed by scenes that take place in Churches, beginning with two characters meeting to discuss a hit and ending in one of the most violent gunfights ever captured on film. Woo is pretty well known for being a devoted Christian, and his treatment of religion and spirituality in this film is very introspective. He asks questions about the possiblity of "religious violence" and tries to find a way to reconcile the relationship between death and spirituality. The fact that the main character, a hired killer, seems to have the strongest sense of humanity of anyone in the film is telling about Woo's interest in this conflict.

I found the use of music throughout the film to add a interesting touch of irony and humor. When Chow Yun-Fat and Danny Li face-off against one another in Jennie's apartment, guns pointing at one another's faces, the music is light, playful and even romantic. Jennie's love song is also repreated throughout the film a number of times, but usually as a prelude to scenes of bloodshed and violence.

Though this is certainly an unrealistic film, it isn't quite as close to approaching self-parody as Hard Boiled or Face-Off. It's still nice to see such a brutal film have a sense of humor though, and the artistic merits of the film raise it above the sea of imitators. Required viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU