Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
This movie hasn't been reviewed in a while, but I just heard of it for the first time last week and watched it today. I had no idea it had anything to do with superheros, super powers, or anything at all so I really enjoyed it. I don't really watch movies so I didn't know that M. Night Shylamans(sp) "thing" was to have a twist ending, and I didn't know that he always does a cameo. Expecting either of these things would have really put a damper on the whole experience, but since I was in the dark going into it I really really enjoyed the whole film.

The pacing is slow but that's perfectly ok in my opinion. I think it works with Bruce Willis being a moody and dark person who's not comfortable with the information he gets from SLJ. If I wanted heros doing fast-paced action stuff I'd put in one of those new Marvel movies. This movie isn't about action, it's a slow story about a gradual realization. Even the big "action" scene at the end is slow, dreary, quiet, and sad, and I think it works wonderfully.

I really enjoy the way that the idea of colors popping and dramatic angles start to peek through the grim Philly setting, making it seem more like a comic book as time goes on without being too obvious (but then again I've never read a comic book in my life so maybe I missed some obvious clues).

I just generally dig Bruce Willis and especially Samuel L Jackson so I liked both performances. All the minor characters seemed to be done well and even though I hate child actors I thought little bowl cut kid was good enough (especially in the breakfast table scene).

So really I encourage everyone to check this movie out at least once. The only advice I have going into it is to forget about the (justified) notions you'd be looking for about the director and the subject matter.

Also, in the final scene don't read the text that appears over the ending. It ruins the movie and adds nothing. Once SLJ has his final say just turn it off.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU