Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
Directed by: Irvin Kershner
Starring: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher

The best of all Star Wars films. Th entire movie is a struggle for it's heroes. Shocking revelations, strong emotions, and the best acting in a Star Wars film to date.

RATING: 5

PROS: Good acting, a nice departure from
CONS: Can't think of any.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

quote:

Paul_Klein came out of the closet to say:
... and the best acting in a Star Wars film to date.

With the exception of when Luke loses his hand. That was awful. My favorite of the films (and probably still will be after episode 3 comes out).

MysteryMeat
May 1, 2003

Say hello to my leetul friend!
This is many people's favorite Star Wars film out of the entire series. It seems to be the most serious of them all as the film ends in a negative way, it is also the most revealing and spiritually meaningful. The concept of the Force is explained in-depth and we see the main protagonist, Luke Skywalker, struggle as he strives to become a Jedi. Master Yoda is introduced in this film as Luke's guide. Yoda is easily the best character in this film, as he is both quirky and philosophically deep:

"When 800 years old you are - look this good you will not!"

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It is funny to note that most likely the reason this film is considered the best and most memorable Star Wars movie is because out of all of the films Lucas really had the least to do with this one.

Fox was cautious on the idea of a sequel to the original Star Wars (before it was named "A New Hope,") and thus they did not want to take too much of a risk of letting Lucas direct again. Thus, they hired Irvin Kershner to direct, and other people to work on the script (Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan). Lucas was simply made 'story adviser' and put in charge of all of the special effects-- one of the few things he actually knows how to do well.

Of course once ESB became the cash cow it was, Fox began losening the restraints on Lucas they put into place. That is why Return of the Jedi had Ewoks rise up and rebel instead of the original plan for Endor to be the homeplanet of the Wookies, and why a second Death Star oh so imaginatively appeared out of the blue. Not to mention the abortions that the new prequels have been.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

pikacheney
Mar 14, 2002

I shall remember this moment: the silence, the twilight, the bowl of strawberries, the bowl of Xoo, and that chubby, chubby choona.

quote:

jeeves came out of the closet to say:
Makes you think, doesn't it?
Wow, I didn't know any of that but it makes so much more sense. I mean, the first one was good, but the second one was great and the third was good again. Then Episodes 1 and 2 flat out sucked. What a shame. However, Episodes 4 5 and 6 as a whole remain as one of the best Sci-Fi epics ever made, with little room to argue, and Empire definitely being the highlight for me.

SuperLobster
Oct 10, 2003

An average crustacean one day blessed with incredible powers!
SHUT THE gently caress UP YOU STUPID poo poo.

Review forum, go back to GBS if you want to discuss it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 8, 2004

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
Review forum, go back to GBS if you want to discuss it.our nerd-dom to GBS.

SuperLobster
Oct 10, 2003

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Anyways. I enjoyed the space battle scenes in ROTJ more than the Battle of Hoth scenes from ESB but ESB is a way better film overall than ROTJ.

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000

SuperLobster
Oct 10, 2003

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 8, 2004

Demmy
May 20, 2001

Dutchman & McNutty:
Putting bitches (and stray cats) in their place since '02
Are people arguing over people spoiling a movie that came out in loving 1983?! loving hell, I seriously doubt that anyone who posts on this forum has not seen the original Star Wars movies. I don't think anyone here was sitting around since either 1983 or since they heard of Star Wars and said "Man, I should watch that sometime!" and still hasn't seen it yet, and are coming to read a review about it here before watching it.

If someone cared enough to watch Star Wars they would've seen it by now. I really don't think that someone would go "A review for The Empire Strikes Back! You know, I've always heard good things about the original Star Wars movies, I should check out this review. I'm sure they won't discuss anything that happens in the movies here."

If someone hasn't seen Star Wars in their entire life and managed to not know anything about it, such as Vader being Luke's father, then they have been living in a loving cave or something. "Luke, I am your father" is a joke that's been ingrained into pop-culture through so many loving TV shows, movies, and who know what else that I knew that Vader was Luke's father before I even know who Vader or Luke loving were! Just like "Rosebud" being the sled in Citizen Kane, they're both used as jokes in so many things I can't even begin to try and remember where I first heard either of Vader being Luke's father or Rosebud being a sled.

"Man, I should watch Citizen Kane. Sure, he movie's been around since before I was born, and it's gotten insanely high praise from critics all over the world, but I never got to see it. Let me check out these reviews first, just to make sure that the people on the forums think it's good so I know that it's good. WHAT?! ROSEBUD IS HIS SLED! OH MAN, gently caress THESE GUYS! RUINING MOVIES THAT HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR DECADES!"

So, in short, :rolleyes:.

Also, The Empire Strikes Back is probably the best thing Lucas will ever do with his life, in my opinion. Definitely the best of the original three movies, and it's so much better than the new ones that it's beyond compare.

5.5/5

SuperLobster
Oct 10, 2003

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 8, 2004

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
THIS IS A REVIEW FORUM NOT A BE A WHINING BITCH WHO CAN'T READ THE RULES FORUM.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 8, 2004

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK
Of the three, this would have to be my favorite. My personal favorite of the series. Regardless of whatever drama went on in the back, this film's music, special effects, and other important aspects gel together very well to give one of the best sci-fi "feels" of a movie. The strength of the story and acting really makes this movie transcend from being a nerdy "space" movie, to an honest film for all audiences.

RabidLeper fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 8, 2004

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

While an excellent Star Wars movie, and certainly better than the current load of crap coming out of Lucas, ESB has problems with pacing, IMO. It's hard to put my finger on. I liken it to RoboCop 2, which is by the same director, so that's probably why I don't like the pacing. It starts out good, but we are never given a respite. It slams us into overdrive and never really stops. I think out of the original 3 movies, RotJ is probably the best filmed of the bunch.

Even so, I love the gently caress out of this movie, but if I had to pick, I'd have to pick this one as the weakest.

A heretical 4.5 / 5 for me.

fez2
Jan 24, 2002

All the star wars movies are awful. At least this one doesn't have Ewoks though.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Out of all five Star Wars movies, I only like Episode I less than this. Yep, I even like Episode II more. It has the most drama, but I just don't think of Star Wars in a soap-opera kind of context. The entire film is a losing struggle for the heroes, and in many cases rather grim. In another context, I might like this, but not for Star Wars.

Still not a bad film. 3.5/5

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 4, 2004

Raptor10001
May 7, 2003

Bend over and show me your Dark Side.
"The Force is my ally, and a powerful ally it is."

-Yoda

Amazing movie.

5/5

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
The best of the Star Wars movies. Starts out magnificently, drags a bit in the middle but ends with a bang. Wonderful.

5/5

rendicil
Mar 30, 2003
I like to piss in the cheerios.
When vader reachs out his hand to luke at the end after the lightsaber battle, god drat that gives me chills. This movie is awesome. No other review needed.

5.5/5

Tardis
Jun 24, 2004
I just have to repeat these 2 things from Darth Vader/Luke Battle.

"All too easy."
"Impressive, most impressive"

5.5/5

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
What can you say about Empire Strikes Back, other than that it kicks rear end? I think one of its strongest points is the music. It's got the best music of all the other Star Wars movies put together, and it goes great with the film's darker mood and story. Also, it's the only original Star Wars film that wasn't really hosed with much for the special edition.

5/5

And come on, saying that Vader is Luke's father is a spoiler is like telling someone that Santa or the Easter Bunny doesn't exist. If you haven't heard by now, you probably don't care.

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

This was perhaps the least lovely of all the Star Wars films, and in that context, it was fun to watch, but hardly deserving of the all time great status many folks give it.

Certainly Vader is a classic villain for the ages, and the "I Am Your Father" scene has become one of the more imitated scenes in movie history, but it suffers from the bad casting and writing that all the Star Wars films, especially the newer ones do.

Mark Hamil completely sucks as an actor and is completley unbelievable as a Jedi Knight. The "romance" between Han Solo and Leia is laughably bad, and Lando Calrissian's inclusion is lame as well.

Save Yoda and Boba Fett, who was neat to look at, there was little introduced in this film that was worth a drat.

The film is full of stuff that looks neat but makes no sense. As exciting at the AT-AT walker scene is, you can't help but wonder why on earth The Empire would have giant vehicles that walk on all fours instead of heavily armored vehicles that fly and shoot.

As with all the Star Wars films, it's all about selling the toys. It's hilarious to see folks speak of this film with the reverence of Shakespeare's finest work. Hey, I love a great mindless action or adventure film as much as anyone, but this is hardly even in the top 50, let alone 100 of all time.

2.5 Stars.

liquorhead fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 13, 2004

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

My favorite of the Star Wars films. 5/5 a classic.

Spaced Invader
Jul 13, 2004
Don't blame me... I voted for Kodos!
The rebel base getting their asses kicked on Hoth is still one of my favorite battle scenes of all time. It is very little that we see Evil triumph over good for an entire movie in a trilogy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

my favorite of the trilogy, a nearly flawless film.

5/5

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
What I like best about this movie is that the cry baby Luke gets the beat down twice, once by the Wampa and another by Vader. The only thing that could beat this movie is if they remade RotJ with the original plot where Endor is full of Wookies and the Falcon gets destroyed after blowing up the Death Star. I will also agree that the Battle of Hoth is the best battle of the series.

5/5

Daddar
Nov 13, 2003

What the fuck is the Internet?
Best out of the entire trilogy. The end duel is breathtaking.

5/5

Raptor10001
May 7, 2003

Bend over and show me your Dark Side.
Posting again to say the soundtrack is also AMAZING...

Recently I've been thinking about this movie a lot, and I gotta say it's one of the best sequels ever and what's more, the best example of a sequel. It's amazing how it continues the story from the first movie and sets things up for the next movie without falling apart. Oh and the somewhat dark ending.

Yes...I fap for this movie.

Without shame.

EDIT: ALL the changes made in the special edition version actually improved it unlike some of the changes made in the other installments.

Raptor10001 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 22, 2004

PoSeiDoN
Jun 14, 2003

These go to 11.
5.5/5

The best of the original trilogy and the best of the 5 that are currently out. I'm a big fan of the Empire anyway, and loved the Super Star Destroyer and just the menacing size of the Imperial fleet puts the Rebel fleet to shame (what rebel fleet?). Even with the destruction of the Death Star, the Imperial Fleet is still HUGE! Luke gets put in his place, Lando....I mean come on it's LANDO! Freezing Han!

A Masterpiece! Long live the Empire!

Benjamin
Mar 25, 2004

by Lowtax
Empire is the best Star Wars movie because the bad guys win and it has the best battle scenes of the series. The writing is just as hokey and the plot is actually worse than that of the even hokier original Episode IV. Really, the movie is just two hours of Rebels fleeing the Empire. That's it. It's only noteworthy for showing that black people can exist in Lucas' future, and although the one of the two with the most screen time is portrayed as a liar and crook, there is redemption. It would take about two decades for The Phantom Menace to be released with a second, good "Lando."

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.
The best Star Wars movie.

My favorite scene is the one where we are introduced to the Imperial Fleet, when the Imperial March starts playing for the very first time. That song has to be one of the best pieces of film music ever made; Star Wars has an awesome score as a whole, but that piece stands head and shoulders above the rest.
The battle of Hoth and the subsequent escape from the Imperials have a gritty, WW2-ish feeling to them, and Luke's lightsabre duel with Vader is the best one in the whole series; sure, they don't have a tenth of the elegance and skill of the Jedi in the prequels, but they're not supposed to! It's an untrained boy fighting a cripple (to paraphrase Lucas).
An interesting tidbit that someone else wrote somewhere (I don't remember): if you think about it, the real protagonist of this movie isn't Luke, it's Vader. He's the one calling the shots - every other character in the film reacts to his actions.
Anyway, Vader is definitely the best villain ever, hands down. "Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship."

This is also the only Star Wars movie to have acting that's even remotely convincing, which is something of an achievement in itself.

All in all, I love it.
5/5

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
To not like this movie is to not like America.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

When I was younger, I liked Return of the Jedi more (mostly for Jabba's palace and the Ewoks), but now I think Empire Strikes back is the best. It is pretty complex and deep and the final fight between Vader and Luke is one of the best duels I've seen in a movie (perhaps the best). When I was younger, this part of the movie really scared me.

One of the greatest movies, ever.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Just like Komet, I used to like RTJ alot more, but as I got older, I realized what an awsome movie this was. It makes alot of sense Lucas wasn't fully in charge for this movie, The duel between Luke and Vader, Lukes training with Yoda, Glimpse's further into Han's Past, the Battle on Hoth, and finding out that Vader was Luke's father made this movie awsome, not to mention, when you first saw Empire and had never seen RTJ yet, the scene where luke is leaving Dagobah for Bespin and Obi Wan and Yoda are talking...

Obi Wan:That boy is our last hope...
Yoda: No, there is another...

Probably one of the coolest, non-fighting scenes in the movies to me, it just made the plot seem so limitless at the time...This movie is what the rest of the franchise should have somewhat followed

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 7, 2004

Farix
Mar 23, 2003

by Fistgrrl
A hallmark of fine movie making, The Empire Strikes back should and more than likely will remain a long remembered title in a long line of forgettable sequels and prequels. While many of the other Star Wars titles were mostly only appealing to specific groups of people, Empire manages to eek out a sort of existance in a mostly unforgiving intellectual cinema critic circle. What makes Empire unlike any other science fiction drama that would give it such high stature even in today's cinema world?

Universiality.

Simply put, Empire was written, acted, and directed as if it's subject matter was as regular as the world around us. Viewers didn't understand what hyperspace really meant, or what turbolifts did. No one explained how R2-D2 fixed the hyperdrive on the Millenium Falcon. The viewers were't expected to know what any of the subject material meant and were left instead trying to understand the human element, Luke's first confrontation of Vader. As is obvious, there are many ways to enjoy science fiction cinema. The route taken by Empire is the less common "soft-science fiction" which gives the audience an almost interior view; as if they were one of the characters who existed totally ignorant of the technical matters of the world that surrounds them. Because of this, viewers were left thinking about the actual plight of the characters, as opposed to the technical aspects of the situation that surrounded them.

I give The Empire Strikes back a 5 out of 5.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.

quote:

jeeves came out of the closet to say:
Fox was cautious on the idea of a sequel to the original Star Wars (before it was named "A New Hope,") and thus they did not want to take too much of a risk of letting Lucas direct again. Thus, they hired Irvin Kershner to direct, and other people to work on the script (Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan). Lucas was simply made 'story adviser' and put in charge of all of the special effects-- one of the few things he actually knows how to do well.

What? No. It wasn't the studio's decision at all. Lucas had a mental breakdown during filming and Kershner took over the helm.

edit: It is also my favorite Star Wars film of all time.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My favorite of the series. Compared to Star Wars it's more sophisticated, better gags, characters more fleshed out, more interesting locations. And compared to Jedi, there's no annoying Ewoks. Rating: 5.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Yes, not much more to add except that I cannot think of a better ending to lead into a sequel than this movie. I gaffawed out loud when the Wachowski brothers were claiming that the soon-to-be released Matrix Revolutions was going to have a better cliff-hanger ending that Empire. What dorks.

I saw it in the theatres in 1983 (yes, I am an old fart) and we didn't know poo poo about this movie except that it was supposed to kick rear end. The studio kept a very tight lid on the whole "Luke, I am your father" thing and even people who had seen the movie didn't reveal it. I guess people back then were cooler or something because it actually worked because my little friends and I saw it on my friend Chris' 12th birthday and it completely blew our socks off because we didn't know how things were going to turn out. Imagine watching this movie, enjoying it as much as we all did and then having to leave the theatre knowing that you will have to wait at least two goddamned years to see what happens. It was crazy and I think that the ending is the best testament to the success of this film.

Also, Yoda is a great character and after seeing this, everyone wanted the Yoda action figure but it wasn't released in the stores, you had to send proof-of-purchase stamps from the back of 2 or 3 (I forget how many) packages and that was a real bitch. Yoda's best line: "Do, or do not, there is no try"

5.5 for sure, 7 if I could.