Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Directed by: Benny Chan, Jackie Chan
Starring: Jackie Chan, Michelle Ferre, Mirai Yamamoto

In 1997’s Ngo si sui (Who Am I?), like most of his recent Hong Kong movies Jackie Chan plays Jackie Chan, a special forces soldier picked for an elite millitary team involved in a top secret mission to steal a highly volatile substance as it is being transported through the jungles of Africa.

However, with the mission a success and the soldiers on the way home, the pilots sabotage their own chopper, bailing out and leaving the men to fend for themselves. Not wanting to go out quietly, Jackie tumbles out of the doomed aircraft after the last man, only to find himself later waking up in a Masai hut with absolutely no idea who he is.

Referring to himself as “Who Am I”, Jackie soon makes his way back to civilisation via a chance encounter with a rally car team, and with an attractive inquisitive reporter (Michelle Ferre) in tow, sets out to recover his identity and find out why the rest of his team was killed.

I personally find Who Am I? to be one Jackie Chan’s better pictures, also featuring some of the better fights from his later body of work.

With a combination of globe trotting adventure and an intriguing but familiar plot done much better here than in his dismal 2001 film The Accidental Spy, Who Am I?'s more notable highlights include an entertaining car chase through South African streets, a hilarious street fight with Jackie in wooden clogs, and a killer confrontation against two martial artists so confident that they time themselves.

Although containing flaws such as a weak ending, a slightly confusing opening in the original Hong Kong cut (rectified in the shorter Columbia Tristar release) and a mediocre supporting cast, Who Am I? is still a greatly entertaining action film and is easily one of the better examples of Jackie’s more recent offerings.

4/5

PROS: A solid action adventure with some great fight scenes.
CONS: Mediocre supporting cast.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0127357/

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 7, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artard
Sep 11, 2001
"Who Am I" is definitely in my top 3 Jackie Chan movies. The rooftop fight scene is one of the best fight scenes I have ever seen in a kung fu movie, and the sliding down the building stunt is my favorite Jackie Chan stunt ever.

4.5/5

Bun Bun
Apr 7, 2002

Fear The Bunny
Yeah, the rooftop fight scene was probably his best since Drunken Master 2. But the car chase scenes are pretty drat good in this movie as well. And the stunts are pretty crazy in this movie. I miss this kind of Jackie Chan. I'm glad he's gone back to Asia to make movies there.
4/5

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.
Coming from a huge Chan fan, this movie delivers. 4.5/5