Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Directed by: Miguel Arteta
Starring: Jennifer Aniston, Jake Gyllenhaal, Zooey Deschanel, John C Reilly

The only thing counting against The Good Girl is that it's forever destined to be overlooked by the anti-Friends brigade when they spot Jennifer Aniston on the DVD cover. Pre-judge the movie on this basis alone and you're making a big mistake.

The Good Girl isn't your typical, formulaic run-of-the-mill comedy/drama. It has an intelligence, warmth and emotive power that's sadly lacking in the vast majority of films in this genre. Jennifer Aniston isn't playing another Rachel type here. Her portayal of Justine, a thirtysomething housewife in smalltown America, with no hopes, dreams or aspirations beyond her soul-sapping retail job and lifeless marriage, is pretty exceptional.

Justine's life is then turned around when she strikes up a conversation with fellow worker Holden (Jake Gyllenhaal, as dependable as always), opening her eyes to a world of possibilities beyond her limited horizon.

Great casting, evocative atmosphere (Aniston's dry Southern drawl narration perfectly encapsulates the mood of the movie), wonderful score and a fantastic screenplay courtesy of Mike White. Essential viewing for anyone who enjoys quirky indie movies.

RATING: 5

PROS: Sharp, emotive, funny. Aniston on top form.
CONS: None worth mentioning.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0279113/

Retroblique fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 8, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Gyllenhaal's character makes the same mistake most kids who read Catcher in the Rye do; they think of Caulfeild as some kind of hero, who should be idolized and imitated. Unfortunately, they're just missing the point, Holden isn't someone to be emulated, he's a loser with a completely screwed up and selfish view of life. I thought this film did a very good job of poking fun at this fact. It was good, and the end was very sad.

4/5

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I thought this movie tried too hard to be "deep" and "meaningful." It wasn't bad- it had it's moments, but on the whole I didn't like it.

Best line: "Holden was a thief and a disturbed young man and what happened was a sad thing. Perhaps we can learn a lesson from this tragedy like don't steal and don't be disturbed."

2.5/5

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
A finely-acted film. Story was sort of boring but...well, it was good.

I hated the ending though.

3.5/5