Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Directed by: Hideo Nakata
Starring: Nanako Matsushima, Miki Nakatani, Hiroyuki Sanada

Ringu opens with a familiar scene to fans of horror movies: two teenage girls relating the story of a mysterious videotape that, if viewed, will kill whomever watches it seven days after first viewing it.

Soon, one of these girls is found dead, as are three of her friends after it turns out that they had viewed such a tape while staying in a cabin at a holiday camp. Intrigued at these series of events, the girl’s cousin Reiko (Nanako Matsushima), a journalist tracks down the tape and with the help of her ex-husband (Hiroyuki Sanada), a self-confessed psychic, seeks out the answers behind the creation of this unsettling example of an urban legend.

When reviewing the original Japanese film adaptation of Koji Suzuki's novel Ring, it is often hard to continue without comparing or even just mentioning the more widely seen 2002 American remake by Gore Verbinski known as The Ring, a watchable film in its own right that shares pretty much the exact same plot.

While Ringu does not have the stylish and atmospheric aesthetics, production values or Hans Zimmer score of the American remake, nor is Matsushima’s performance as good as Naomi Watts, I feel it does have an edge over Verbinski’s version in the aspects of several elements that were questionably reworked for the benefit of the remake.

While I would say that Sanada's ex-husband with his subtle display of psychic powers and the character of Sadako’s (the equivalent to The Ring’s Samara) grandfather are much more interesting characters in the original, I believe that the main thing presented in a superior fashion in Ringu than the remake is the backstory concerning Sadako’s mother, whose history involving her psychic abilities and her assumed rape by the doctor studying her is much more involved than what was utilised in The Ring, which I felt was somewhat glossed over.

This is unfortunate as this extra dimension in Ringu also makes Sadako a much more effective villain, often the key to a good horror movie. Here I believe she makes a superior vessel of evil whose attributes are further built upon by a shocking scene that effectively demonstrates her lethal powers, in addition to her infamous physical deformity which I won’t reveal here, things absent in The Ring which in my opinion makes Samara a less compelling and formidable antagonist.

In addition Ringu features simpler direction and shot choice in contrast to The Ring, which at times I felt was over produced, especially in portrayal of a climatic scene which was done much more effectively in the original.

But contrasts and personal opinions aside, would you really want to see the original version of a film whose remake is essentially the same and done very well to boot? Well, that’s your decision but even so Ringu is a gripping Japanese horror film that has enough compelling difference to still be seen even if you’re familiar with the American version.

4/5

PROS: Some things were better handled here than in the remake, Sadako > Samara.
CONS: The remake is a flashier, more accessible film, with essentially the same story.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0178868/

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 9, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
If you saw "the Ring" and found it enjoyable I suggest you take a peak at this, because it really is a very similar movie with some subtle aestetic differences that create a different atmosphere.

I guess I just saw this one first and found the other one less scary...

but if you haven't seen "The Ring" yet, take a gander at this. It will freak your poo poo for weeks.

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

I've seen both this and The Ring and I really like The Ring a lot more. I guess I like the artsierness of it.

pud
Jul 9, 2001
I'd take points off of this just for pulling that psychic father comes outta nowhere poo poo. Incredibly cheap and lazy way of advancing the plot.

That and the lack of Naomi Watts in her underwear.

Ragnarak
Jun 17, 2003
Japanese culture apparently is more used to random acts of psychicness.

Tolli
Apr 20, 2004

All is full of love!
I saw the Japaneese version first, and I thought it was one of the better horror movies I had seen in quite some time..

The pace is slow and there is a creepy feeling from start till end, and it make you use your imagination mostly, not some stupid cgi monster in the end.

The most scary part was when the guy watched the tape in his apartment and the woman crawled up the well and towards him, and then stepped out of the television . I know it sounds lame when if you didnt see the movie, but it made my hair stand up

I have not seen part 2 and 3 yet, but im getting to it.

4/5 A great horror movie (its getting rare)

Professor Murda
Sep 15, 2002

I made it a point to watch Ringu before I watched The Ring, and Ringu really stuck with me. It's an superbly filmed movie, with genuinely freaky visuals, and in my opinion a really solid story. The Ring is like an American skin overlayed on the original (some scenes are nearly identical shot-for-shot.) I think watching The Ring first definitely lessens the experience of Ringu, but without The Ring, it never would have gotten any attention over here, so I'm not complaining. 5.

RoboticSilence
Apr 8, 2004

Yummy!
It was a lot "Scarier" than The Ring, while The Ring seemed more "suspenseful" than actually scary. If you want scary instead of just freaky, this movie is better than the remake in that respect.

4/5

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I fall into the "psychic dad deducts points" crowd. Just because "psychic" explanations are more accepted in asia doesn't make them any less bs. Ringu had a couple nice ideas, but like all the other asian horror movies that I've seen, fails to develop it in a "scary" way. Also, too much non-scary filler that did nothing for the mood. The Ring may have been less explanatory (I consider that a plus, actually), but the parts when bad stuff wasn't happening still maintained a highly oppressive atmosphere that kept the mood suitibly grim.

Also, the video in The Ring was scarier, because centipedes are scary.

Bun Bun
Apr 7, 2002

Fear The Bunny
When a scary movie gives you nightmare for weeks after, you know it was good. Maybe not as good as the American remake but definitately way spookier and disturbing. this proves that Little girls are scary.
4/5

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
I'd give US Ring an edge over Ringu for 2 reasons:
1. If you've seen the sequels/no the rest of the story involving the Japanese Ring line (books OR movie), the entire thing just seems so...random.
2. As a whole, Samara's motivations themselves are completely unexplained; she just seems to be someone bent on killing people and you dont know why; in that sense, it feels like she has some sort of an edge over Sadako.

I'd give 3.5/5

Shii
Feb 18, 2004

by elpintogrande
This movie scared the piss out of me in a way no American horror movie can, including its very own lovely American remake (why did they have to remake this? And call it "The Ring", no less, when the Japanese title was referring to the ringing of a telephone). If you're having trouble watching too much television, just watch Ringu and you'll never want to see a television again. Absolutely free of all of the stupid cliches that make American horror movies so boring; this definitely isn't a movie I can sit back and watch with a bowl of popcorn. Continuously suspenseful. The ending is a spectacular twist and, like the rest of the movie, totally unpredictable.

This is undoubtedly the best horror movie I've ever seen, and it will probably remain that way for a while because I'm not particularly interested in seeing another now. 5/5

edit: I guess I must be pretty good at suspending disbelief, because I hate "psychic" cop-outs as much as the next guy and it still failed to ruin the movie for me.

Shii fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 19, 2004

Scar Trek
Mar 6, 2002

I was here before this cliché crap and I'll be here long after it's cold and raped and dead in the ground.
There was something about this movie that just didn't sit well with me. Not in a horror way, but in a "I'm not enjoying this movie" way. What I put it down to is that at times, the movie just feels a little too much like a soap opera, with the occasional moment of "Oh don't forget, there's these unexplained deaths going on too".

It just wasn't to my taste, although I'll admit the big climax scene was a thousand times better than that horribly-edited piece of poo poo in the US remake (Hey guys! Let's kill off all the suspense by cutting to somebody else doing something different!). The combination of the claustrophobic environment, the one-single-take, and the point-of-view shot all make for one hell of a scene.

I just didn't enjoy the rest of the movie as much as I'd hoped I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimeGreenNinja
Dec 30, 2003

don't kill children don't run them over
I'd have to give Ringu props for not having to explain everything in the last second, thus truely giving it the name "Psychological Thriller".

Seriously though, i think the Japanese version messed with me more than the American mostly because the Japanese held on to certain secrets in the plot that was explained out in full detail in the American version. And the fact that the father has not one bit of interest in reuniting with the mother really compliments father and son relationship that they seemed to be going for, as the US version just makes you gag at the cheesiness of the almost happily ever after complex :\.

but if i were to compare scores i'd give both a 4.5 easily just because in some points they even off because where one has better story, the other has better scenes.

the thing about this movie is that is needs to be complimented by the sequel in order for you to actually enjoy it to it's fullest. but stay far far away from the lovely 3rd installment, as it is a flaming heap of crap.

LimeGreenNinja fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 20, 2004