Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Directed by: Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones
Starring: Cleese, Idle, Chapman, Gilliam, Jones, Palin

Even as a fan of Monty Python, I found most of their 'modern' comedy to be very hit-or-miss today, aside from timeless sketches like the dead parrot. Thus when they do a movie set in medieval England, the effects of time don't touch it.

The movie is essentially a collection of sketches woven into the King Arthur plot. There are literally dozens of classics here, including the Knights of Ni, the rabbit of doom, the Black Knight, the Outrageous Frenchman, and so many more. Interspersed are various running gags (how they replace horses) and one-liners ("It's only a model") that are like a six inch layer of frosting on top of a cake. A cake which is also made of frosting. The frosting of comedy.

Required viewing for all.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Easily the funniest absurd/parody type of comedy ever
CONS: Really weak ending, but then the plot doesn't matter so who cares?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071853/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidge
Feb 27, 2003

hay guys i am back and ready for war lol
This is probably the most quotable movie I've ever seen. It is timeless, hilarious, and Python at it's best. Even people who hate Python sketches would probably love this movie.

If you want a 'getting drunk' movie, or a movie to play a drinking game to, this is king. I laugh everytime I watch it.

blindside
Mar 20, 2003
Chalk another one up into the category of "MOST OVERHYPED PIECE OF poo poo EVER." Every person who has ever quoted the Knights Who Say Ni or talked about a swallow carrying poo poo in its beak have done a disservice to this film.

I don't get British comedy, but since this is an internet message board, I'm sure you do.

I may have chuckled twice during this film, and for that I'll give it a:

1/5

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
If my favorite movie of all-time isn't Clerks or A Clockwork Orange, it's this.

5.5/5

TheMaestro
Aug 14, 2002
5/5

Two hundred thousand (not so)inside jokes all through high school.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a huge elitest Monty Python nerd and I like the flying circus better.

However, as the MP movies go, this one is the most well known- and for good reason.

4/5

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
2 years of my life have probably been spent quoting this movie/thinking of quotes from this movie.

5/5

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

This movie hasn't aged for me well. I really used to like it, but now, I think it's their worst work. It really suffers from having two directors and the sketchlike scenes does not tie together well. Granted, there are a few ingenious scenes, but as a whole, it just isn't very funny.

Pros: some very fun scenes
Cons: far too unstrucured

I'll give this a 3.

AlbertHerring
Oct 10, 2003

king of the may more like governor of virginia
I love this film. It's typical Monty Python; if you don't like them, you may not like this. But I enjoy it very much.

5/5

xdrquinnx
May 5, 2002

I loved (5) this movie when I was 14. Now that I'm 27, I don't find it funny at all (1). I'll split the difference and give it a 2.5/5.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

One of the finest pieces of comedy of all time. British comedy rocks, and this is the epitome of British Comedy. Watch it now.

5/5

tuwhitt
Jan 5, 2004
What the fuck does tuwhitt mean?
I took a class this past year in college called FORM AND STYLE IN THE ARTS.

The teacher, a fellow named eric, once said that if you don't find this movie funny, then you are stupid.

5 / 5

Nighend
Dec 5, 2003
I'm all about the swishy.
Sure, it's really just a disjointed bunch of sketches, but it has more moments of pure comedy than any movie ever made.

5/5

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I agree that this film hasn't aged well. It's also horribly overquoted and overrated, but I won't hold that against it. Still pretty funny.

4/5

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
gently caress Ya'll

Still funniest movie ever. The pythons were so loving brilliant and ahead of their times, its ridculous. 5000/5

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I've already bought this twice on DVD (original release, and then the 2 disc special edition), and am considering buying it a third time for the Collector's Box which includes a paperback of the script.

5/5

orborborb
Jan 20, 2004

I love Terry Gilliam movies and I really like Monty Python, but I rate this film a 2/5. It is just not funny to me. Maybe if it was the first wacky humor I'd seen as a kid I would treasure it like everyone else seems to, but I just find it incredibly dull. For Monty Python movies, I'll take "The Meaning of Life" and for a 'medieval times' style Terry Gilliam film I'll take Jabberwocky.

orborborb fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 11, 2004

jaym
Jan 23, 2004

by OMGWTFBBQ
Did not like this movie. It was a bunch of low-brow garbage mixed in with retarded English humor I frankly didn't care for. After not seeing it for years, I was finally convinced to watch the entire not too long ago and I was shocked that this was the movie everyone held in such high regard. I did not laugh at a single part of this movie. The ending was also the worst I've ever seen and whatever shred of respect I held for it was ruined when I saw this. This movie also spawned thousands of douche bags thinking yelling 'NI' at each other is some kind of hilarious inside joke. It's not, stop.

.5/5, hated this movie.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
If you like Python, you like Python and you'll like Holy Grail. If you haven't seen it and have had it overhyped via nerd-dom, you won't like it because it will inevitably disappoint. It's really pretty simple, in that Python is Python.

5/5, but 'tis only a flesh wound!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Ignoring all the obnoxious quotes that elitist hardcore MP geeks yell at each other, ignoring most other pitiful attempts at comedy by the British, and simply focusing on the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail all by itself... it is one of the funniest things I ever saw in my life. I loved the film, it was cheap and silly humor and I just adored it when I saw it.

I'll give it a 4.5/5 since it does get old after a while. I can only watch it about once every few years.

Captain Fwiffo
Jan 23, 2004

Resident of Pluto
It was silly, but fun. Not quite as good as Life of Brian, but better than a lot of the completely unstructured chaos of a lot of Flying Circus, which can simply get tiring. There are enough laughable moments in this movie for me to enjoy it, and I guess it's either something that's your kind of humor or isn't.

4/5

munks
Aug 12, 2003
Four words:

Bring out your Dead.

5/5

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"
Great movie, but I find it a bit too hit and miss now. Half the scenes are boring fast forward material, the other half are ingenius rewind material. Nonetheless, still an excellent movie.

4.5/5

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
British comedy is odd, and although I can appreciate some of this movie's jokes overall it hasn't aged well. 2/5.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

quote:

orborborb came out of the closet to say:
Jabberwocky.

Jabberwocky was a hideous abomination of a film, especially in comparison to Grail.

Baldur
Mar 20, 2001

Prince of Space
Monty Python and the Holy Grail is like FYAD: You can never explain its humour, and there are people who "get" and people who don't "get" it.

This film is still a lot funnier than most comedies you see today.

5/5

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
It's an awesome comedy. Classical moments. And good jokes.

spamhead80
Apr 15, 2003

It's a Zen thing, like how many babies fit in a tire.
"Help, help, I'm being oppressed!"

Like many others I have fond memories of this movie from high school, and I'm sure that the nostalgia contributes to my continued love of this movie. That said, it's still an incredibly amusing movie after all these years. It's like watching an extended version of Flying Circus with a running theme... great stuff!

5 out of 5

Scar Trek
Mar 6, 2002

I was here before this cliché crap and I'll be here long after it's cold and raped and dead in the ground.
Monty Python humour. You either love it or loathe it.
Thus every rating in this thread has either been a 4 or 5, or a 0.5 or 1. There's NO real middle-ground of "meh, it's not bad".

There's not much you can say about the movie that will endear it to anyone. The plot exists solely to push a bunch of silly characters through ridiculous situations where absurd things happen. The acting is pretty bad (often intentionally). The effects are terrible ("It's only a model"). The wardrobe is second-rate, the camerawork is shoddy, the lighting is horrendous, the film is a technical nightmare.

Oh, and it also happens to be one of the 5 funniest movies ever made, in my opinion.
Two men ignore the king of England to discuss how a coconut could have gotten to England (coconuts are non-migratory). A fearsome knight has both his arms chopped off, and refuses to realise that he's lost the fight, declaring "It's only a flesh wound." A brave knight valiantly battles his way through a castle to rescue a princess, killing all who stand in his path, which happens to consist of lots of old men and bridesmaids at a wedding. Upon being reprimanded by the castle owner, he offers "Oh... I'm terribly sorry."
And that's without even getting into the immense quotability of the movie. There's probably not a single movie around which has been quoted more often than this one.

The bottom line?
If you like your humour exclusively "GBS-style", with lots of well-thought out, high-class, drawn-out wit and sophistication, move along.
If you don't mind your humour being "FYAD-style", with off-the-wall sheer absurdness and the very definition of non-sequitor, go watch this movie.

That said, most everyone on the planet has seen at least SOMETHING by Monty Python before, so you probably know exactly what to expect.

5.5/5, only "Airplane" stops it being my award for funniest movie ever. I already own 3 versions of it and a scriptbook, and by god, I love them all.

Hot Pog Day
Dec 14, 2003
Like Airplane! and Caddy Shack, another overhyped piece of poo poo. The "NI!" part and the random slaying of the professor and other such parts were definitely not "British" humor so much as they were 6 year old humor.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The worst thing about this movie is that its a victim of its own nerdy success. I used to like this movie, not really adore it, but respected it for what it was. Through high school, I heard people quote it again and again and again. After that, I tried to watch the movie, and I couldn't get over my irratation with it.

However, to look at the movie objectively, its a series of relatively well written sketches following a plot and a general theme. At some points it becomes far too silly, but it is a strong comedy in its own right. The humor is an acquired taste, but if you pay attention to it well enough you should get all of it. The thing is, I don't really find the movie that wonderfully hilarous as so many people see it. I think its just okay, but because of its inventiveness and quotability its worth seeing.

4/5

KackySack
Feb 7, 2004

by SpokkerBones
This movie is absolutely brilliant. It is a comedy, mind, body, and soul. You don't respect it, or appreciate it, or disseminate it, or interpret it. You just laugh.

If you don't get it, then obviously you are entirely not silly in any way at all, and only highbrow, masterpiece theatre humour will satisfy your well-brandied humor palate, you joyless sod.

Seriously though,

5/5

ZeromusMog
Feb 11, 2004

by Eris Is Goddess
5.5/5. Truly one of the greatest movies ever, but only if it's really late and you watch it with friends.

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.
Set in the days when kings were kings, princes wanted to sing...

This movie is comic brilliance. It has something for everyone. Witty humor, Dry humor, slapstick. You have probably heard it quoted 200 times in your lifetime. This is some of the best work ever released by the Monty Python gentlemen.

Bought it on vhs, and dvd twice.

5/5

Music Man
May 24, 2003

quote:

blindside came out of the closet to say:
Chalk another one up into the category of "MOST OVERHYPED PIECE OF poo poo EVER." Every person who has ever quoted the Knights Who Say Ni or talked about a swallow carrying poo poo in its beak have done a disservice to this film.

I remember everybody I knew kept talking about this film and kept quoting the poo poo out of it, and basically ruining it for me. I guess that's why when I finally watched it, it didn't really seem all that great to me. It made me laugh, but I really wasn't satisfied by it. Would probably have been worth a rental, but I regret buying the special edition just because everyone told me it was the best movie ever.

3/5

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I've seen this movie far more than I've seen the other MP movies, which is probably why I like it best. It's one of my favorite comedies, and I'm obesssive about MP to the point where I'll actually dislike someone if they don't like them/get them. My parents are the same way, so I learned it well. This movie works well for people who aren't big fans, however. I mean, come on; how can you NOT laugh at the loving rabbit?

5.5/5

JamieMadrox
Feb 8, 2004
DON'T CLOSE SH/SC THREADS
ah, the greatest and most prolific comedy of all time. what could one say other than, if you haven't seen it, you are an idiot. i love this movie. john cleese equates with god (in latin i think, haha)

5/5

T-Bozz Factor
Apr 28, 2003
I reserve a special hatred for fags who quote this poo poo as some sort of replacement for being funny. I don't get as pissed off at things as most internet people do, but man, hearing people quote this movie has gotten very, very old. That said, it is a very funny movie that I saw when I was 10 and greatly enjoyed until about the millionth time I'd heard every good line quoted. It's really only good if you see it before you have to deal with all the stupid nerds ruining it by spouting out lines in their screechy voices and bad delivery.

3.5/5

Bad Lieutenant
Jan 4, 2004

oh my is nothing sacred
I still find it as funny as I did the first time I saw it, even though fags on the internet have quoted it so incessantly that I'll probably never watch it again. It's not the same level of hilarity as the best Flying Circus sketches, but the best of the MP movies, and therefore one of the best comedies ever.

5.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe
No amount of overquoting can ruin this film for me. It's just too absurdly hilarious.