Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbacc101
Oct 29, 2003
Directed by: Andrew Adamson
Starring: Mike Myers, Cameron Diaz

Luckily, I was able to see a preview of Shrek 2. It is truly a great, fun hearted movie. It is comedic, clever, witty and well done.

If you were a fan of the Shrek (the original) you will most likely enjoy the 2nd one as much as I did. Like the first, its soundtrack was great. It really added an extra fun element to the movie.

The basic premise is Fiona, Shrek's new bride, is summoned by her mother and father to recieve their royal blessing. To the King and Queen's dismay, Fiona's new husband is an ogre. Trickery, parody and comedy ensue.

My recomendation: SEE THIS MOVIE. It is well worth the $8 or $9 or $10.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Great 3d graphics, hilarious story line, good soundtrack
CONS: none

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298148/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I found the overall "tightness" and quick pace of this movie, as well as its numerous references to various TV shows and movies such as Sanford & Son, Cops, Aliens, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Mission Impossible. The beauty of these little cues is that sometimes it takes an extremely sharp eye or ear to be able to catch some of the things they do in this movie that are done for the sake of comedy. The animation guys at Dreamworks are practically as talented as the Pixar guys when it comes to putting in little touches. Quality of story, voice acting, and humor are all some of the best I've seen in ages. They even managed to make a highly annoying pop song funny and refreshing at the end of the movie.

This movie earned 9.5/10 Fat Bastards from me. The only thing that I wanted out of this movie was about 15 more minutes of length. The sheer concentration of comedy gold in this movie leaves you screaming for more.

Oh, and stay for the credits, theres an amusing bit with Donkey in it.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud
Shrek 2 follows your usual sequel formula - less of the "charming story" than the first, but hoooo boy does it make up for it with gimmicks and humor. And motherfucking Puss In Boots steals the show. I don't think I've :lol:'d at a movie this hard for at least a couple years, there were two scenes where I literally had tears in my eyes.

Props to the PDI guys for stunning animation work.

The movie was rife with "adult level" stuff going on in the background - the stuff that makes you laugh and probably flies right over your kids' heads. I already feel the need to see it again, because there were so many funny pop culture references, both gentle nods to indirectly related movies like Beverly Hills Cop, and flat out mocking of the usual suspects like Hollywood and Starbucks.

Overall a rollicking good time, highly recommended viewing. 5.0 rating from me, thanks for a fun 90 minutes.

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

Just got back from seeing it. And I really really liked it.

There were too many funny parts to mention, and I don't want to spoil anything, but lets just say Puss n Boots steals the show. They could make a spinoff movie just with him and it would be fantastic.

All the voices were excellent, particularly the main characters. (Cameron Diez, Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy.) The animation was on par with any other movie in it's class (Ice Age, Finding Nemo.) It's really amazing how much the technology has improved since the first Shrek. Music was probably a bit too over the top, but the action on the screen made it work.

Overall, I would say it is as just as good if not better than Shrek 1. 5 stars!

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"
Much better than the first one, personally.

Puss in Boots does indeed steal much of the show. Excellent character concept, and they pulled it off very well.

The only thing I didn't like too much were the drawn-out musical numbers. They seem a bit superfluous, looking back on them. Still, the rest of the movie was so great that I could deal with the musical sequences, which, when it comes down to it, didn't exactly detract from the movie.

5 stars.

Bilgewater
Jul 6, 2003

Pissy jorts.
This movie is great. It is as good, if not better than the first one. The characters are great, the soundtrack is great just like the last one, and it's got alot of adult humor in it. Go see it, you'll love it if you liked the first one.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
I saw this yesterday with my mom for her bithday (lolerskates am I right), and it was drat funny. Awesome animation, great voice acting, many funny moments, and Puss in Boots. It didn't drag on, it was paced very well and very entertaining throughout. As good as the original.

Highly recommended.

4.5 stars

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I have some negative comments but I'd like to first say that I did think the movie was good.

But a lot of the jokes weren't even jokes at all! Many, many times they just threw in characters from other Disney movies and pretended that just them being there was a joke. An example of this which is also in the trailers, so it is not a spoiler, was the Ariel thing. Shrek is kissing Fiona, a wave hits the beach, recedes, and then there's Shrek kissing the Little Mermaid. He throws her back into the ocean. There wasn't much of a joke, it was pointless, but it got a lot of laughs just for Ariel being there with Shrek. "He and the Little Mermaid can go gently caress themselves."

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!
At first, I liked all the references to other movies, etc., but then it got old. Eventually, it seemed like I was watching every movie I've ever seen, and not Shrek 2. I also couldn't figure out if the big Gingerbread Man was a nod to Ghostbusters 1 or 2

Also, the dad being a frog was predictable from the first ten minutes of the movie.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
The references were fun, and I didn't think they were too overdone. "Knights" was my favorite. The bag of catnip taken off of Puss in Boots... I laughed really drat hard at that. Considering they had to follow up a "happily ever after" ending with something, I thought they did a great job. Well-paced, good soundtrack, the animation looked great, and the voices were awesome.

bocevus
Sep 11, 2002

Got a big enough joint there Rick?
Actually saw this movie to avoid traffic on the freeway. Movie was as good as the first one. Animation seemed more fluid.

The references to other movies were cool. I caught most of them but I'm sure there are one or two that I missed.

Donkey stole the show in Shrek. Puss n' Boots stole it this time around. Agree that a spin off for this character must done.

Voted 4.5

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Just got back from seeing it and I think this is a truly excellent movie. There's a lot of nods to other movies, and the soundtrack is quite good. The animation is incredible, and the humans especially look better than in the original (not to say they weren't perfectly fitting there!) I can't wait to see if there's another sequel.

5 stars! A great comedy.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

World's longest fart joke. Basically ever gag in the movie was really obvious and predictable, and fell into one of a few categories:

1. It's funny because they're doing something that was done in a movie that isn't this movie.
2. It's funny because they're archetypal fairy tale characters doing things that fairy tale characters aren't supposed to.
3. It's funny because they're fairy tale characters singing a song that was popular several years ago.
4. It's funny because someone farted.

I thought the first movie was moderately clever, but this one definitely seemed dumbed down for the fourth grade audience. Aside from the terrible writing, the animation was adequate, but really nothing special. There's basically nothing to see in this movie if you've seen the first film and any given episode of Ren & Stimpy.

Overall rating: 1.5 out of 5

PowderedToastmensch
Aug 25, 2003

DIES IST TECHNO SEX!!! OONCE OONCE OONCE OONCE!!
This movie is just a very clever anti-drug propaganda. What better way to spread the message than by winning hearts and minds of the very impressionable. You're not fooling anyone Mr.Ashcroft. Everything from the baggy of catnip, to the evil Fairy "Drug Kingpin" Godmother and her "magical POTion" production. Always know your prescription drugs and their side effects, read the fine print. And remember kids, fun and other good things ought not be chemically induced; who cares if Shrek's an ogre, you're only ugly on the outside.

clownshoes
Jul 15, 2003
All in all I thought it was pretty good, but I can't agree with the Puss in Boots posters above. I thought that Puss in Boots was the Leo Getz Hollywood hackneyed trite 'we need a new sidekick because it's a sequel' device of Shrek 2.

If you liked the first one, it's likely you'll enjoy this one too. Three and a half out of five.

elister
Dec 29, 2001

by Mayor Wilkins
I was suprised to see very few, if not no recycled jokes from the first movie.

The gingerbread man scenes were loving hilarious!

kapi
Jul 21, 2003
That's the second largest monkey head I've ever seen
This movie was awesome. When I first heard they were making a sequel, I was afraid it would be a Disney-style retread of the first, but I'm glad I was wrong. The movie was very entertaining and the story made sense in relation to the first, although the parodies were really what sold it for me. I'm a real boy! ...poo poo For some reason "Why the long face?" loving killed me, and I second the Puss in Boots spinoff. That would rock. Plus John Cleese makes any movie better.

I agree that the fart jokes seemed forced, and gently caress Ricky Martin. "I'm a believer" was 10 times better for an ending song. But all in all, this movie was great, and well worth the price of admission.

Shady Lane
Jul 21, 2002

Chilin ( <3 C-Mart )
Very entertaining in its own right, with some pretty funny song and dance numbers (I hold this for every one but the last) and a lot of mature humor. It may or may not be better than the first but it's definitely something worth seeing.

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

I just saw this the other night and I really liked it. Puss in Boots was awesome. I thought some of the song and dance numbers seemed a little forced, but luckily they weren't too long. The animation is awesome and the humor is great.

The whole movie is actually pretty short, or it at least went by quickly, I didn't remember the first one going by that quickly.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Shrek 2 is very funny. The problem is, a lot of it feels overdependent on our preceding knowledge of the characters. So the joke isn't 'ha-ha, nice gag', it's 'ha-ha, popular fairy-tale character performs pratfall'. Also, it's making fun of fairy tales without really subverting any fairy tale norms. Aside from that and the awful Ricky Martin song at the end, it's a pretty good movie.

Three.

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

Ah hell, I'll just cut to the chase and tell you Shrek 2 is a hilarious sequel that is as good as the first film and much funnier. I'm not talking cute "heh" funny like some of Disney's latest efforts, I'm talking Jack Chick demon laughing "HAW HAW HAW!" funny that had me yukking it up like a jackass throughout the entire film. Forget that it's a great cartoon, Shrek 2 is one of the most hilarious movies I've had the pleasure of seeing in quite some time.

All the great writing, brilliant animation, and superior voice talent from the first film is back with a vengeance. The plot, which involves a meddling Fairy Godmother who has special motivations to break up the relationship between Shrek and Princess Fiona, works well, but it's the tour de force of non-stop jokes and pop culture references that make this a thrill to watch.

When Donkey (voiced with perfection by Eddie Murphy), gives tribute to the old Mr. Microphone commercials by shouting, "Hey good looking, I'll be talking to you, later!" as they drive by some pretty girls, I couldn't believe it. It's funny little touches like this throughout the film that really make it special. A sign in a bar that says "Nobody Under XXI Served" is one of those brilliant touches that brings to mind the subtle background jokes in the old Mad Magazine parodies of yesteryear.

Though all the elements that made the first one so great are here, it's the addition of Antonio Banderas as Puss in Boots that is the film's high point. When he attempts to ambush Shrek and Donkey in the forest, he gives a woeful big eyed look that makes your heart melt, then springs in to action, ready to carve the duo up, only to be sidelined with the feline equivalent of Kryptonite...a hairball. He soon joins the good guys, providing many hilarious scenes where he competes for "Shrek's Favorite" status with Donkey.

My 4 and 7 year old were laughing throughout right along with me, but for different reasons. For example, a sendup of FOX's "COPS" show called "KNIGHTS" has a great bit where the trio of adventurers are arrested on live TV which is full of great slapstick moments, but the adult jokes in the piece, like a Knight using a pepper grinder in Shrek's eyes while another pulls a bag of catnip from Puss who exclaims, "It's not mine!" let the older folks laugh without any offensiveness.

And the writers manage to pull of some unexpected surprise twists in the story that do not disappoint.

It really seems like everyone had a blast making this film. Certainly everyone I saw it with had a blast watching it, as it got a near standing ovation from the audience.

Shrek 2 is a hilarious movie that will not disappoint.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Shrek 2 was absolutely hilarious. A megaton of pop culture references, and an even more megaton of incredibly subtle jokes.

As mentioned before, PIB stole the show.

Heres a little funny subtle joke:

When the king goes to the bar for the first time, and the little slot opens up so the guy can look at him, in his eye, you can see the reflection of a boom mike

Funniest movie I have seen in quite a long time.

4.5/5

Scorpion
Oct 2, 2000

The Netherealm Christ
Just got home -- great flick -- but some of the stuff might be a little grown up for some kids (the conservitive family types).

However, I would definitely take my kids if I had em.

5/5

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
The movie had me in stitches the entire time, with its clever parodies and references. There is enough humor here for the older crowd as well as basic slapstick humor that will have kids laughing. [spoilers]The Gingerbread-Godzilla scene [/spoilers]almost threatened self urination. The music is incredibly well fitted to the storyline, and the character development, as well as overall message is terrific.

5 Stars

huzyrdadi
Feb 28, 2001
I can't remember seeing a sequel recently that I enjoyed just as much if not more than the original.

Technically, superb voice acting and amazing color and animation. Also, some very fun "camera work." It's rather brilliantly done.

Also, it's a great story full of clever contemporary parodies, great one-liners and sight gags, and puts a nice twist on all the old fairy tales, especially considering the villans.

I'll probably catch this one again before it leaves theatres.

Toolband
May 28, 2003

Year of the Tiger....probably not but hey we started 2-0
do we honestly need to say more, only one bad review in here so you can take that with a grain of salt.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~
The plot was threadbare, horribly foreshadowed fan-fiction filled with Deus Ex Machina, the animation was riddled with gimmickry, the characters were apathetically-acted one-dimensional archetypes, and the jokes were made of satireless pop-culture referencing that seemed to pander exclusively to the Friends-watcher in all of us. Spigot sums up my feelings better than I can.

This movie reeks of mass-marketing, of focus-grouping, of careful fine-tuning so as not to offend, to challenge, or to educate. Nothing is accomplished, not even a new "moral message" (it's all about what you are inside and poo poo), unless you count the new hand-punched hole in Shrek's enormous belt -- that of, in providing a startling amount of more of the same poo poo as the first, perfectly personifying everything wrong with the art form of the sequel.

I didn't laugh, I chuckled. Four times, over the course of just barely an hour and twenty minutes. Who knows? Maybe I've just been spoiled by Ghibli.

Great photography, beautiful colors, and an excessively polished presentation can't make up for the complete lack of worthwhile content in this mess. All style, no substance. 0.5/5.

edit: vvvvvvv

quote:

Yeah, seriously, this movie is a comedy, not a drama. Lobst probably rated all the Three Stooges movies 0.5, too. OH MY GOD, MOE AND CURLY ARE SO ONE-DIMENSIONAL!

Stooges movies were made back in the era when the foundations of the craft were still being erected -- when people were amused by a poke to the eye or a rapid series of comical noises, no matter how many times they were repeated. But that era also came up with the Marx Brothers, who were loving brilliant for their time. The assumption that we should apply the same standards to movies made sixty, seventy, eighty years later is ludicrous.

I'm not a gothically jaded German, I'm just militantly artistic/intellectual. I can detect both forces at work behind Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, which will forever be wedged in-between Waking Life and Kung POW! in my collection, but I can't see them behind this, which had to play hot-potato between four directors and two writing teams to finally get produced.

I'm not attacking your opinions, just stating my own. Please don't attack mine.

Lobst fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 25, 2004

jaym
Jan 23, 2004

by OMGWTFBBQ
^ What the gently caress?

I loved this movie, defiently worth the 3.50 (that's right I live near a 3.50 movie theatre). Can't say I liked it as much as the first, but defiently thought it was excellent. The CG is awesome. The jokes are funny When PIB gets busted with the catnip and he's like 'IT'S NOT MINE! IT'S NOT MINE!' I think I had some pepsi squirt out of my nose. Go see it.

Shii
Feb 18, 2004

by elpintogrande

quote:

jaym came out of the closet to say:
^ What the gently caress?
Yeah, seriously, this movie is a comedy, not a drama. Lobst probably rated all the Three Stooges movies 0.5, too. OH MY GOD, MOE AND CURLY ARE SO ONE-DIMENSIONAL!

I thought the movie was pretty funny. It wasn't a perfect, intelligent comedy like "Good Bye Lenin", but it was funny enough to make a good use of an afternoon, like the "Road To..." movies and the Marx Brothers. 3.5/5

Shii fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 6, 2004

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I wasn't expecting to like this flick, since I didn't care much for the first- but I liked this one a lot more. Why? It wasn't the story, or even a lot of the jokes, it was all the little things thrown in, and sometimes completely bizarre stuff that I think only me and my friend found funny.

Charming pulling out the burger king crown; I'M A REAL BOY!; when the big gingerbread man falls and the little one takes a giant leap after him; for some reason, the wolf dancing to Freak Out and the blind mice always got me too; the baby crying when the ogres arrive at the castle and all else is silent; puss in boots' doe eyes anyways, stuff like that.

Musical performances are annoying, yes, but they seemed brief so not too terrible. Movie also felt a little slow in the middle, but it picks up great when it counts. Worth a viewing. 4/5

Rev. Des
Jan 14, 2004

On its own, Shrek 2 is a decent movie. Compared to the original Shrek, it's disappointing. Compared to anything from Pixar, Shrek 2 is almost pathetic. Now that there are two more sequels on the way, PDI is redefining the phrase 'beating a dead horse'.

Where the original Shrek made fun of old fairytales (mostly those of Disney), Shrek 2 seems to rely on them - it's pure cliche. There is little originality to be found anywhere, just ripping on other stories and movies to the point of tedium.

Many of the negative reviews discuss the films lack of heart. Shrek 2 never pauses long enough among the piss-taking to take itself seriously, and what little story there is never has time to surface. Shrek and Fiona are the main characters in the story, yet they are always sent to the background for more fart jokes and pop-culture references.

The pop-culture references themselves are both a redeeming and a fatal blow to the Shrek franchise. Some hit, some miss. But they date the movie. In 5 years time, Shrek 2 won't be half as funny as it is right now. Given the period of time that passed since the script was written to the film's release, some of the jokes are already dated.

And the musical aspect? After Fiona sang to the bird in the first movie, wasn't the whole point taking the piss of the bursting into song mid-movie idea? Yet in Shrek 2 half the climax is full of musical numbers.

Now there are 2 major plot holes that nearly ruined the movie, and they involve Shrek being locked up in the castle by the Fairy Godmother. To get into the room, Shrek moves the chest of drawers out of the way with little effort. Yet when he wants to get out, he doesn't even bother to try moving it out of the way. Then he spots Fiona on the balcony and tries to yell out the window but to no avail. It never occured to an ogre to break the window? Especially given Shrek's antics in the previous film and the subsequent rescue at the ball.

For all it's flaws, Shrek 2 was still enjoyable in parts, it just suffered from a lack of originality and following the sequel-formula.

PROS: Puss-in-Boots, and the stunning imagery.
CONS: We... get... the... anti-Disney... message... already!
RATING: 2.5/5

agent K
May 25, 2004

Werd.shit.fucK
shrek 1 never really drew my attention so i never watched it. but shrek 2 did, and i thought it was a awesome, it had me rolling. but a friend of mine is going to make me watch the 1st shrek now.

bbacc101
Oct 29, 2003

quote:

agent K came out of the closet to say:
shrek 1 never really drew my attention so i never watched it. but shrek 2 did, and i thought it was a awesome, it had me rolling. but a friend of mine is going to make me watch the 1st shrek now.

You wont be sorry. The 2nd is a very nice compliment to the first. However, it might be slightly confusing seeing them out of order. Regardless, enjoy!

agent K
May 25, 2004

Werd.shit.fucK
lol thanks! if i can understand tarintino's films, i am sure i would get the hang of shrek.

its crazy but i also play my FF games all out of order too.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
I think I fall halfway between Lobst and the rest of you guys. I liked it, but there was no mistaking that it was a giant cash-in, with a lot of commercial aspects that weren't present in the first film.

The musical numbers really bothered me. There were countless scenes like the factory chase and storming the castle that would have been exponentially better with a rousing musical score, but no, we need ANOTHER lovely pop song. I know the first film had musical numbers but they all worked and didn't call too much attention to themselves. The first film used a Leonard Coen song, this one is an endless parade of forgettable pop that drowns out the dialogue/sound effects. And what the gently caress is Ricky Martin doing here? "I'm a Believer" actually fit the film and was one of the best scenes in the movie, "Livin' La Vida Loca" had nothing to do with anything and only succeeded in making me groan.

The plot also felt like above-average Shrek fan-fiction. It was just "Shrek and Donkey go on a new adventure!" with no interest in doing anything new or interesting with the characters (aside from the transformations, which was a pleasant surprise). Puss in Boots was HILARIOUS in his first scene, and the best gag in the movie (catnip) involved him, but after that first appearance it was almost as if the writers were still writing a Shrek/Donkey movie and every now and then one of them would remember that there was a third character now and give him some forgettable, throwaway line to justify his existence.

But again, overall I liked it. It's a comedy, and while the fart jokes got old fast and the opening montage was a dud (the audience I saw it with was completely silent during that sequence but laughed their asses off at everything after that), it still succeeded in making me laugh more than anything else in months. 3.5 stars sounds about right.

One more thing: is it just me or was the "adult" humor a lot less subtle and more up-front this time around? I never thought I'd hear the phrase "sexy tush" in a kids' movie.

Horseface fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 26, 2004

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

This movie is pure fluff, but anyone looking for a review of it in the first place is probably smart enough to realize that just by reading the name "Shrek" in the title. That said, there's a lot to enjoy if you like fluff. There are more puns, visual gags, pop culture references, and assorted jokes crammed into the movie than you can possibly notice in one view. If you enjoy trying to spot all the stuff people crammed into movies like Monsters Inc. and Shrek, well, you're a dork, but you'll probably love this movie, too.

Let's face it, this movie is no Shawshank Redemption, you can predict the entire plot a mile away and it has about all the impact of a wet piece of paper against a concrete wall. If you're looking for an intriguing story or a deep plot, you won't find one. That's not why you should come to watch a Shrek movie, you come to see goofy characters and hopefully get a good laugh. If you're going into the theater with that mindset, you should have a great time.

Oh, and for the record, there was only one song that really made me wince, the others were either ignorable or actually made the scene better, in my opinion, which is pretty amazing in itself.

I'll give it a 4 because the world needs a good fluff comedy every now and then, especially one that got as much effort in terms of cramming in little details as they did with this one. If there's a problem with that, you can go jump up my butt, sir.

SCOTT SMAGO
Aug 10, 2003
I would have given this a mere 5, but the subtle Spinal Tap reference gives it a 5.5(which is like 11). If you missed it, it's a poster in Fiona's bedroom. It features 2 guys playing guitar, two midgets in the corner and the word STONEHENGE.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I loved the movie, but I sadly have to take points off because somebody thought it'd be fun to inject a pop-song into the movie EVERY 3 MINUTES. Other than that, I was rolling on the floor laughing out loud.

Rating: 4.5 (Due to overuse of pop-songs)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

quote:

ScootsMagoo came out of the closet to say:
I would have given this a mere 5, but the subtle Spinal Tap reference gives it a 5.5(which is like 11). If you missed it, it's a poster in Fiona's bedroom. It features 2 guys playing guitar, two midgets in the corner and the word STONEHENGE.

AH! HELL YEAH I SAW THAT! I kept trying to see if they had an 18" Stonehenge on the poster couldn't tell.

I thought this movie was fantastic. I really didn't expect it to be better than the first (which I loved). And I guess it really wasn't b/c it felt just like the first to me. Like they made 'em at the same time and the writers were at the peak of their wit throughout the entire thing. It just felt like a continuation of the first one (I'm talking about quality here...obviously it's a continuation b/c it's a sequel) and that's a GOOD thing.

Technically some of the human animation STILL gets to me. In some scenes like the King in the bar under a cloak it seems totally motion captured but in all the others it seems a little too stiff. But that's really all that bothered me tecnically. The facial animation was stellar. Christ when Charming is putting on the BK Crown and just staring at the King while chewing his food...just go back and watch his facial animation...subtle and PRICELESS

There are a ton of things I want to mention but I'll just say that it's just fantastic overall.

I laughed out loud a LOT during this movie (which I rarely seem to do now-a-days :( ). However there is one scene in particular where I just loving lost it and was weeping for five minutes straight. The hairball scene...Jesus H Christ I was crying...my contacts were gumming up...I couldn't see the screen I was laughing so hard. If you've had a cat and seen them choke up a hairball before it's all the funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shado
May 17, 2003

I thought this movie was a lot of fun. Some of the musical choices were not to my taste, but they weren't that bad. Jennifer Saunders' rendition of 'I Need a Hero' was very impressive, just because I didn't know she could sing like that.

I love the little nuances they throw in, that's part of what makes these films enjoyable to me. The 'Stonehenge' poster was classic and unexpected, "Why the long face?" had me rolling, but PIB's "I hate Mondays" was the one that put me over the edge.

Not the pinnacle of American cinema, but outstanding animation, great voice work from Mike Meyers, Antonio Banderas, Saunders and more (I just can't give props to Cameron Diaz...she grates on my nerves), and plenty of laughs.

4/5.