Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Saw the new release at AMC 25 near Time Sq back a couple of months ago. I've seen this movie a few times before, and I was excited to see it again. This film still has me torn in opinion. In a way, it's almost like the kind of movie that anyone growing up with Star Wars would hate, and it takes a completely different direction from that. It's like what happened to the Western once "The Wild Bunch" and movies with the cold immoral renegades replaced the Roy Rogers and John Waynes. The cinematography is absolutely stunning, and the film is challenging to watch.

The story is bleak and yet very self-contained. Deckard isn't fighting for humanity or anything noble like that. He's solving a very dangerous case to find and take out Replicants. Drips of details come to the viewer just as it comes to Deckard. The final part of the movie takes place in a nearly abandoned hotel, decadent, weird and ugly, which contrasts heavily with the futuristic pyramids and skyscrapers that the movie is known for.

It's philosophical. It's truly not sci-fi as it has been done before the time, and yet now what every sci-fi tries to be. And it is definitely a film school movie.

Watch it like you would read a good, challenging book. Truly try to absorb the imagery and enjoy the words as it is spoken. It's not a rollercoaster ride like what almost all movies are. If you let it challenge your ideas of life, your ideas of who you really are and what it fundamentally means to be human, then you can truly start to enjoy the movie.

Rating: 2/5 for people expecting something different from what the movie offers
5/5 if you learn to enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU