Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jc dracula
Nov 7, 2001
Directed by: Michael Lehmann
Starring: Bruce Willis, Andie McDowell, Danny Aiello, Sandra Bernhard

Far from being "one of the worst movies ever," this is an enjoyable fast-paced crime adventure comedy filled with physical jokes and wisecracks. Bruce Willis himself cracks wise several times and Sandra Bernhard never stops yelling in her role as the film's vile arch-villainess. Aggressively nutty characters are all over the place and people just keep hatching crazy schemes.

You are not going to see many movies like this, get drunk with friends and watch it and form a special Hudson Hawk club.

RATING: 4

PROS: Zaniness
CONS: Wackiness

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102070/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilikelinkinpark
Sep 10, 2003
I'm a little unconfident.
On the contrary, this movie is terrible. There isn't a single funny moment in the entire thing. Even the potential comedic value of Frank Stallone doesn't make this flick worth watching.

1.5, at best.

Pros: It ends, eventually.
Cons: It's a comedy without any jokes.

Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001
I really, really, really like this movie. I dunno why, I guess it's Bruce Willys' charms that got me. And I like cat burglars.

4/5

Error 404 NpH
Nov 26, 2000

This movie is friggen garbage. Its about a pair of singing cat burglars who are forced to steal poo poo so that ugly oval office Sandra Bernhard can make da Vinci's machine to turn lead into gold. I cant believe they even made this movie.

I give it a .5

CallMeDan
Apr 20, 2004

I support my quarterback
I have loved this movie since I was a kid. It's soooo bad its funny. Bruce Willis is really underrated as a comedic actor and I think part of his performance is his knowing this is going to be a crappy movie so he plays it up to the fullest. Some of the edits don't make sense. It's disjointed and disorienting at times. Sheer Brilliance.

5/5

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I loved it. It was original.

Argh..hh...heh.
Feb 20, 2001
Ex-Supreme Overlord of Canada
This movie is so goddamn wacky, I can't understand how anyone can dislike it. In a time when wayyyyy too many movies take themselves wayyyyy to seriously, this chunk of irreverence is downright refreshing

4.5 / 5

toneh
Dec 16, 2003

I found hell
Have to admit to liking this film, I guess i'm just a Brucey fan. And Richard R Grant rocks.

Toneh

4/5

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
I've loved this movie since I first saw it as a kid and I have no problem saying it's my favorite comedy of all time. The fact that I grew up with it may be part of the reason I don't hate it.

The villains are brilliant and numerous and all have their own agendas which are well explained and don't seem too cliched. Now that I think about it, all the bad guys die in pretty hilarious ways, from the crooked parole officer getting his "cut" to Bunny finally getting the ball-ball. Everything in this movie is hilarious though, as long as you don't try and analyze all the flaws, most of which were done on purpose and are funny when you think about it (like a conversation in a car where it changes from daytime to sunset every time the cut from Bruce Willis to Danny Aiello).

5/5

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Everytime I watch this movie I hate it, but every time I think about it I love it.

3.5/5

Ajaarg
Jul 25, 2000
If I did want a woman (they are literally disgusting) i could always rape them. they are weak and feeble.
I liked this movie, I even paid for the DVD. It cost $7 at wal mart.

Of course I also paid for the Adam West Batman and Ladyhawk, so maybe I'm just a sucker for cheesy bargain DVDs. That could be it.

Still, I found it funny.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Absurd, yet it works.

4.5/5.5

Judakel fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 4, 2013

Niaccurshi
Apr 10, 2003

Infinite Crisis Death
Wild Guess #1010
:
Braniac "Indigo" 8.0
"Looks like someone's
trying to corrupt
t
Maybe it's because of the quirkyness and the way it all kind of makes you think "what the gently caress is going on in my head!", maybe it's because it was (at the time) nice to see Mr Willis do something a bit different.

It's a fun little ride, with lots of solid comedic performances.

I guess 4.5/5 for me! It was good enough I impulse bought the DVD when I saw it at HMV.

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

I just saw this film for the first time today and it certainly had a "what the gently caress" feel to it. It has a weird comic book vibe going for it which really helps, as most of the story is completely overblown and not realistic in the slightest. Most of the film is technically awful, but Bruce Willis "anything goes" attitude makes it easier to watch singing cat burgulars, bombs impaled in bad guys foreheads, knife weilding butlers and all the other poo poo that happens. Richard E. Grant and Sandra Bernhard play the hammiest bad guys I have ever seen in film.

Worth a watch as there's some funny stuff, but there's also some horrible one-liners and, unfortunately, Andie McDowell.

3/5

CallMeDan
Apr 20, 2004

I support my quarterback
Hudson Hawk is the dumbest movie ever made. I love it.

"I guess you won't be attending that HAT convention!"

5/5

Azistal
Jul 12, 2004

Ring Ring Ring Ring..........
I have always loved this movie, owned on VHS and then bought the DVD. Bruce Willis is the man in this movie , just like he was in Die Hard. They time their robberies bye singing some great songs (Bruce also was a kick butt blues singer) that really make the mood of the movie light and funny. If you looking for a serious suspense this isn't it, however if your looking for some laughable entertainment, I highly recommend this one.

Frink
Jun 17, 2005

I think this is one of Bruce Willis' best movies. Obviously you can't really take
the movie seriously when you're watching it, but I think it was funny as hell :)

4/5

Pavo Cristatus
Jan 25, 2004

One down, forty-one to go...
Entertaining and quirky.
4.5 stars.

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster
I'm happy to see this movie isn't getting blasted as hard as the critics blasted it. I really liked this movie. First and foremost, I have a really hard time disliking anything with Bruce Willis in it, and I'm so hot for Andie McDowell it's pathetic. And I don't care what anyone says, I loving LOVE Sandra Bernhard, and her role in this was PERFECT for her.

Having said that, the only thing about the movie I didn't like were the singing parts, which I realize were supposed to be over the top retarded goofy campy funny, but didn't hit me that way.

Other than that, I pretty much laughed all the way through this, especially when the dog gets killed.

If you like Bruce Willis and you like fun action/comedies, then this one's for you.

Cornballer
Feb 27, 2005

ĄSoy loco por los Cornballs!
I think this is either one of those movies you love or hate. I hated it. I really didn't find it that funny. Perhaps if Richard E Grant had had a larger part I would have been able to tolerate this movie and give it more than 2.5/5

2 for Richard E Grant and .5 for Andie MacDowell's attempt to commune with the dolphins.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

"Yeah! That's probably what happened!"

I love this movie. At first I was a little skeptical, but a fellow goon sat me down with it and it was great.

Robert Downey Jr.
Nov 27, 2002

by Ozma
"BUNNY! BALL-BALL!"

It truly is a very unusual film with a very unusual story and a very unusual character development. Some things in the movie are better left unexplained because they are so ridiculous, you're left wondering "how is that possible?" I think it's safe to say a lot of the comedy in this movie requires a dry sense of humor, but it is very amusing.

4.5/5

Robert Downey Jr. fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 20, 2005

Fatsquirrel
Apr 10, 2003

Remember, 'evil' spelled bacwards is 'live' and we all want to do that!
I'm a closet fan of this movie too. It's hard to describe the movie in any other terms other than "fun" or "campy". Bruce Willis plays to his usual smart-rear end hero attitude that made him successful on Moonlighting, and Danny Aiello doesn't distract. The bad-guys aren't that menacing even when they have done their worse.

Suprisingly, no one appears to have mentioned a young David Caruso playing the mute, Kit Kat.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
while i can see where some types of people will hate it, i thought it was hilarious and love to watch it.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
If you had the writers for the original Monkey Island attempt to rewrite Die Hard 3 you'd get this movie. It's got the cheesiest closing line i've ever heard, too.

5/5.

Acid rain
Aug 13, 2004

This film tries way too hard to be funny. If you appreciate goofy (not in a good way) slapstick style comedy and an ADD bruce willis, you might like it. Otherwise stay away.

2/5

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Just... not good. This period marks the height of Willis' success where he thought he could get away with not acting and instead can just kind of smug his way around playing himself. The unlikely scenarios should be entertaining but they're presented in such a bloodless and sterile fashion that you can't even laugh at them, and instead just feel uncomfortable for everyone involved. Very little craft went into this movie, so instead of an experience that you simply watch and experience you instead are forced to notice all the things that weren't done right.

That said it's not the EXPLODING rear end in a top hat OF CINEMA that many said it was on arrival but it's certainly a very weak film, and probably doesn't the deserve the second chance a contemporary viewer could give it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I saw this on TV a few years ago, thinking "Oh, a Bruce Willis movie I've never heard of, I bet this is worth watching!". After 10 minutes or so of "What the hell is this?", my friends and I were in hysterics for the rest of the movie. One of the most bizarre action/comedies I have ever seen, I recommend it if you like campy/goofy humor.

3.5/5