Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Fwiffo
Jan 23, 2004

Resident of Pluto
Directed by: Jonathan Lynn
Starring: Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd, Leslie Ann-Warren, Michael McKean, others

I call this movie a mystery because it is one, but it is also a downright hilarious comedy.

For those of you expecting a lame, irritating representation of the board game, you will be very surprised by this movie.

The cinematography is fairly simple, almost to the point where it feels as though you are watching a play, rather than a movie, but it's very appropriate, because Clue is a character piece, and in that respect it does extraordinarily well.

There is the lecherous, absent-minded Professor Plum, the geeky, gay, and accident prone Mr. Green, and, of course, my favorite, the alternatively jumpy and calm butler. This movie's brilliance comes from both the acting and the script, in which talented people play a collection of zany characters, and the interaction between them all results in a barrage of puns, comedies of errors, one-line zingers, and slapstick humor rolled all into one. And just in case one ending doesn't satisfy you, this movie comes with three, all of which include a long, drawn out explanation from the butler as to how everything happened and who the killer was, in which he acts out each individual murder, one of the funniest scenes ever to grace film. The humor is quicker than a Tom Stoppard play and the mystery itself is still dark enough to hold the viewer's interest.

Finally, the mansion looks wonderful, and the soundtrack is well done as well.

Clue is one of my favorite comedies of all time, and it is one of those underrated gems that everyone should take a look at, if only for such lines as "Nobody. No body, that's just it. Mr. Body's body, it's gone!"

RATING: 5.0

PROS: Excellent acting, fast-paced, hilarious script, beautiful set
CONS: At times is moves so fast, you're too busy laughing at one joke to hear the next

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088930/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramen Soup
Mar 17, 2004
Chicken finger gourmet
This is an extremely well acted movie with great comic timing. It has just about every type of humor in it so you are going to laugh at this movie no matter what. This is quite possibly my favorite comedy.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Wow, I never realized how many people loved this movie. Over the years I've tried to convince people to see this movie, often to no avail. It really is a classic comedy. It was written by the creator/writer of one of the greatest British comedies ever, Yes, Minister. Unfortunately this work of comedic genius went criminally overlooked by the public, who were rightfully skeptical about a movie based on a board game. It definitely doesn't fit into the model of a traditional american comedy, which is probably one of the reasons I love it. Imminently quotable, this movie is a blast to watch.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

By no means a deep movie, but still extremely funny. It has a sort of British wit to it, and that's not just due to Tim Curry's wonderful butler character. Many great, memorable moments. Communism was just a red herring!

4.5/5

Nighend
Dec 5, 2003
I'm all about the swishy.
Probably my favorite farce ever. Tim Curry owns.

4.5/5

Ape Drape
Apr 24, 2003

I came to see Lee Ving as Mr. Boddy. I stayed because the movie was so much fun.
5/5.5

smirkingrevenge
May 8, 2004
Furries: The Other White Meat
Tim Curry rocks my world! Such an underrated movie

5/5

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
TIM CURRY = SWEET TRANS loving VESTITE ROCK ON

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Criminally underrated, in terms of being pimped. 4.5/5

Lisa Marie
Apr 3, 2001
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
This is an absolute favorite of mine, and you can watch it over and over again. Each time you might catch a new joke hidden in the brilliantly written dialogue. I can't understand why it doesn't recieve more appreciation, in my mind it is one of the best movies ever made.

"You? I was going to expose you!"
"Yes, I know. So I chose to expose myself!"
"Please, there are ladies present!"

Lines like that, said quickly int he middle of dialogue, get me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scar Trek
Mar 6, 2002

I was here before this cliché crap and I'll be here long after it's cold and raped and dead in the ground.
Oh boy.
I grew up with this movie on a VHS recorded from television. I always loved it, but the tape got chewed up 5 or 6 years ago. A couple of months back, I picked up the fresh DVD release, full of intrepidation that it wouldn't live up to the golden nostalgia I remembered it with.

Bah. It's still as good as ever.

The comedy is often so casually put out, it's possible to miss a lot of it. Every character twists what other people say to mock them, there's some great wordplay, that just slip out of nowhere in the midst of the great script. It's about as good as clever verbal comedy can get. It also throws in some well-done slapstick and sitcom-style humour, so almost everyone will find something to enjoy from this movie.

Wadsworth: But he was your second husband. Your first husband also disappeared.
Mrs. White: But that was his job. He was an illusionist.
Wadsworth: But he never reappeared.
Mrs. White: He wasn't a very good illusionist.

There's also a wonderful 50's feel to it, including a superb soundtrack (sh-boom sh-boom), and the absolute genius of the ending.

Hint: There are three different endings, which were shown at random in the theatres, so people couldn't spoil "who did it" to other people. All three are included on the DVD version. All three are hilarious, and if I'd been old enough to see the cinema release, I'd sure as hell have gone three times to see them all.

It's a comedy classic in my book, which just didn't get the audience it really deserved. 5 out of 5 for me.