Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Directed by: Godfrey Reggio
Starring: Reality, in third world countries.

The second in the qatsi trilogy by Godfrey Reggio. This one, however, depicts the impact of technology on third world contries, or so it purports. Lots of shots of people working in fields, kids smiling with smokestacks and dirty cars in the background, and marketplaces ensues. Instead of a lot of time lapse photography, this one is filmed in a great deal of slow motion photography, which just makes it feel dragged out. The music doesn't really seem, to me at least, to have the same impact of the Koyaanisqatsi or Naqoyqatsi films, and actually just seemed a little annoying in it's extreme "Tribalness".

All in all, I just didn't like it much, but give it props for being part of the qatsi trilogy, which I like a great deal. Rated 2.

edit - I forgot to mention, the name of this film translates roughly as "a way of life that consumes the life forces of other beings in order to further its own life." (taken from site)

RATING: 2

PROS: Part of a great trilogy
CONS: actually boring, not that breathtaking shots, bad music.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095895/

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 17, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The second film in the -qatsi trilogy is a take on the southern hemisphere's on-going transformation by the northern hemisphere while Koyaanisqatsi is more of a study how the northern hemisphere is influencing itself. While it is obvious that Reggio is showing the detrimental effect that "progress" is having on these nations, he isn't heavy-handed about it, something which I think the -qatsi trilogy does marvelously: It lets you make deductions yourself about what the meaning of the film is.

However, I don't think the film makes the people out to be defeated. I took away that these people are persevering through the seduction of the north, trying to maintain their old culture. By the same token, Reggio doesn't glorify the poverty these people ar eliving in, either.

Glass's score, I felt, was appopriate and better than Koyaanisqati's (save the last one, which got on my nerves). Again, the fusion of the aural and visual creates a wonderful piece of art that is well worth watching.

8/10

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I remembered liking Koyaanisqatsi, so I gave this one a shot. After about 20-30 minutes, I fast-forwarded through the rest of it. Didn't see anything that made me want to return to watching it in real-time. Lots of poor people. Poor, poor people. Look how poor they are. Watch them work in extremely slow motion. Don't you feel bad, you greedy American? Rating: 1