Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
Directed by: Mark Lester
Starring: Dolph Lundgren, Brandon Lee, Tia Carrere

I watched this on cable late one night because the title reminded me of John Carpenter’s Big Trouble in Little China (one of my favorite films), and was pleasantly surprised to find a Dolph Lundgren movie that doesn’t suck. In fact, it’s pretty good, mixing action with buddy cop-comedy and camp. The story follows a cop (Lundgren) who works the beat in Little Tokyo, battling the local Yakuza while enriching himself in Japanese culture. The man who killed his father shows up hoping to take over, and the two go head to head, with Brandon Lee (in a hilarious against-type casting) helping out.

Watching Lundgren preaching the values of Bushido is one of the funniest things I’ve seen on film in awhile, and he does it with a completely straight face, which only makes it better. Lee plays the opposite; the son of Japanese immigrants, he has completely assimilated himself into American culture, unfamiliar with his Asian heritage aside from his knowledge of martial arts. Lee also gets incredibly corny lines throughout the movie, but he plays his part with such abandon that it somehow works. Tia Carrere makes an appearance as Lundgren’s love interest and a witness.

The action alternates between incredibly violent and over-the-top campiness, but the humorous tone of the movie allows for the changes in style. There are gunfights, kung fu battles, and a samurai showdown, so everyone will get their action fix along the way. This film also has one of the best action-movie deaths ever, when Brandon Lee throws a yakuza into a fermenting machine at a brewery, and then tosses a lighter in after him, igniting the whole place like a fireball.

File Showdown in Little Tokyo under the “so bad it’s good” heading. Don’t expect it to be much like John Carpenter’s film, as it lacks the mysticism and sense of adventure of that film, but it stands on its own as a solid action-comedy movie.

RATING: 3.5

PROS: funny, good action
CONS: campiness, corny dialogue (I love these things, but some might not)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102915/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

As an addition to the first post, a few things should be pointed out:

Mark Lester, the director, is also responsible for Commando. This should give you an indication as to the tone of this film. This is an 80's action flick stuffed with cliches and side-splitting one-liners. If you enjoy this type of action film, so bad that it's good, then Showdown is a must have for your collection. I picked it up for 7.99 at best buy, you could probably find it cheaper online.

Notable:
-Shang Tsung of Mortal Kombat fame is the bad guy in this film as well
-Tatsu of TMNT fame is the #1 henchman/miniboss is this film as well
Looks like those two really play a diverse range of characters.

4.5, because I love bad 80's action dearly

Pros: Dolph Lundgren running through Little Tokyo in full Samurai attire
Cons: Brandon Lee cast as half-Japanese(sigh), Tia Carrere's body double

peekaboo gangster
Sep 12, 2003

My friend Kyle and I bought this movie from a 5.99 bin at Wal-Mart a few weeks back, and the day before I left college we watched it. This is one of those movies that's so bad it's good. The first thing that caught me off guard was the fact that Dolph Lundgren was playing the samurai and Brandon Lee was the valley boy. Secondly, was there any reason given that Dolph's parents were killed by the villain?

The script was pure crap, with such amazing lines as "You have the right to be dead." Just for shits and giggles, here's the line one more time: You have the right to be dead. From a technical standpoint, the movie was pretty ok up until the end. Those of you who have seen it know what happens, the bad guy is skewered, put on a parade float, which starts spinning, then explodes. I have never laughed so hard at a movie in a long time.

If I didn't love bad movies so much, I'd rate it a 1, but for sheer fun factor, I give it a 3.5. Definitely check it out.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
loving hilarious, corny movie for all the reasons listed previously. Brandon Lee looks embarrassed the whole way through, and Lundgren looks as sedated as ever. One thing I noticed is that the shirts seem to rip very easily in this movie.

The best scene is when supercop Lundgren saves Tia Carrere from seppuku and then lifts up a car.

Three.

NADZILLA fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 4, 2004

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Practically screams "B MOVIE" for every second of it's running time and that's why I love it.

If you can make it through Dolph Lundgren delivering serene samurai philosophy with a straight face I'm not sure you're really alive.

A terrible movie, but the best kind of terrible.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Awful. Truly awful.

Therefore rated 4.

the actor Wallace Shawn
Nov 17, 2003

A movie that defines the "so bad its good" genre. One of the great action movies of the 1990's

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
"If we both die, I have to tell you...you have the biggest dick I've ever seen on a man."

That one phrase pretty much defines the awesomeness of this movie to me. How can you go wrong with a movie full of cheesy action, bad dialogue, and naked women everywhere. I got the DVD for $6 at Best Buy but I wish it wasn't full screen. I demand proper aspect ratio for this classic.

Either way, a great schlock action film.

4/5

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
They've been playing this on Cinemax a lot lately, and my love for it grows more and more with each viewing.

I initially described it to my brother as "a lovely movie you should definately see," which I later retracted: It's a great movie you should definately see.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The fact that Dolf was the Asian and Brandon was the valley boy was intentional, and I thought mighty clever. It's self depreciating on a constant level. You just have to like it!

Also, the platform that "exploded" was one of those chinees fireworks that spin and spark. It didn't explode. The two villans are the bad guys in a huge number of Chinese and American 80's action movies.

3.5/5

pipingfiend
Jun 23, 2004
just one of those weird films that appeal when you've bought it $10 in a bargain bin.

Zoom
Jun 26, 2003
Keepin' It Gansta!
This movie was so stupid that it makes it very entertaining. The dialogue cracked me up.

"You have the right to be dead!"
"I heard you coming that time"

Such cheesy one-liners that it had me rolling.

When the Yakuza cuts the white chick's head off, that was just pure B-movie poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notation
Aug 11, 2004
I saw this movie when I was beginning to go through puberty, and all I remember are the naked chicks with sushi on them, and the naked chick who gets her head chopped off.

The pubescent kid in me gives this movie a 5 because of the boobies.