Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Directed by: Phillip Noyce
Starring: Everlyn Sampi, Tianna Sansbury, Laura Monaghan, Kenneth Branagh

After a twelve year spell in Hollywood, during which time he directed some commendable action/thrillers (such as Dead Calm, Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger), Phillip Noyce returns to his native Australia, offering us one of the most thought-provoking and visually-impressive movies in recent years.

Rabbit-Proof Fence is based on the true story of three Aboriginal girls who are wrenched from their homes and families, by government officials in 1930s, Australia. Enslaved in a camp for other half-caste children, waiting to be integrated into white society, they attempt a daring escape that will see them travel more than 1,500 miles across the Australian outback as they follow the rabbit proof fence back home.

This is a highly emotionally charged film, beautifully photographed, with an outstanding soundtrack from Peter Gabriel. As for the three young leads — they’re nothing short of remarkable. Despite never having acted before (and, in one case, having never even seen a movie before), they turn in performances that put most actors three times their age to shame.

Highly recommended.

RATING: 5

PROS: Emotive, visually stunning, fantastic music score.
CONS: None.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0252444/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
A painful, inspiring film based on a true story. I would recommend Rabbit Proof Fence to anyone for several reasons, including historical context -- the program of eugenics that is this film's subject (eradication of the native aboriginal culture by forced interbreeding with whites) was in place until 1970, several years after the end of racial segregation in the United States.

A film shouldn't be judged by subject matter alone, though, and Rabbit Proof Fence is generally successful in its acting, directing, and overall tone. You really feel for the girls and the families they are torn from, while their European-descended caretakers communicate an effective mix of oppression and concern -- part of what makes the film so painful is how the teachers, administrators, and nurses really believe they're doing the right thing and giving the kidnapped children better lives.

It's a simple story, but a moving one, and beautifully told; everyone should see this.

4.5 / 5

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

As jaded as I am, from time to time I still manage to be shocked, even outraged, when I learn about things like "The Stolen Generation". An extraordinary and moving story, told in a thrilling, captivating manner. Ubiquitous Aborigine David Gulpilil (Walkabout, The Last Wave, Crocodile Dundee, etc.) again shows up. He's the go-to Abo in Australian cinema, I guess. Rating: 4