Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyb
Apr 30, 2004
heh
Directed by: Sam Raimi
Starring: Bruce Campbell

Army of Darkness is the story of one man, Ash, and his quest to get back to his time... but first he has to save the asses of a bunch of midevil screwheads against an army of the dead (which he accidently resurrects).

Of course I love this movie. It's corny and campy, but it's just an awesome movie. Bruce Campbell is, of course, the man, and he utters some of the greatest one-liners and cheesy catch phrases in the history of cinema in this movie. Clocking in at 81 mins it's certainly not a very long movie, but it's great fun throughout from the wacky enemies, to all the situations Ash gets into; even the corny effects like the comical looking deadites don't bother me because the movie is just so much fun to watch. Good times were had by all.

Also if you have the DVD, the original ending is pretty neat, and funny in a dark comedy sort of way, but I have to say the theatrical ending is much more fitting to the rest of the movie.

Hail to the king, baby.

RATING: 5

PROS: Bruce Campbell, totally awesome, Bruce Campbell
CONS: corny looking special effects, cheesy dialog

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0106308/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The patron movie of nerds, if this gets less than a 4.5 I will be shocked and dismayed. In terms of being a "good" movie, no it's not really. But that doesn't mean nerds don't love it, because they do. Why? Because, well, who cares why, it's fun to watch and it has some retardedly corny lines and Bruce Campbell has the undying love of geeks everywhere.

repoman
Apr 26, 2004
I rated it a 3. It is one of my cult favorites, but it's really not that great even as a cult favorite. Honestly, it's about the Duke-isms for me.

repoman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 29, 2004

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Yo, she-bitch. Look at the avatar.

This is one movie that always manages to hold my attention. I'll admit, it really is a bad movie from a filmmaking standpoint. You have to watch it for the fact that it's entertaining. Like Linguica said, nerds love Bruce Campbell, but so do a lot of other people. If nothing else you'll come away from this movie with a lot of neat quotes.

I also saw it on AMC(American Movie Classics), so people can't hate it that much. I rate it a 4, for entertainment value.

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster
This movie is loving awesome in every possible way except that it's not a good movie.

I love it though.

4.5/5

"Gimme some sugar baby"

Boy Named Sue
Apr 19, 2003

YARRRRRR!!!
This and UHF are my two favorite movies of all time. Bruce is awesome as Ash. How many of us got goosebumps when 'Spinach Chin' drops the chainsaw in the pit and Ash jumps up to have it connect to this wrist? I know I did!

5.5/5

Cessna N333UM
Dec 7, 2003

Winning (and passing Check-Rides) is better than sex.
"Mam, I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store."

So many great lines. A movie doesn't have to be big to be great. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

I say:

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

quote:

Cessna N333UM came out of the closet to say:
"M'am, I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store."

Single greatest ending ever.

Voted 4.5

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I remember a scene in this film when the skeltons and invading the castle and a scout spots the king's men coming to reinforce the defenders. So the camera cuts from the scout, where the sky is black because it's night, to the king's men, and it is BROAD DAYLIGHT. With a blue sky. And it cuts back to the castle, and it's night again.

I usually never catch mistakes in movies, but WOW JUST WOW.

JamieMadrox
Feb 8, 2004
DON'T CLOSE SH/SC THREADS
One of the best movies ever, you suck if you don't love this movie. Bruce Campbell is God.

5/5

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
There's plot holes and mistakes galore, but I'll be damned if this movie isn't a classic piece of cult entertainment. It's cheesy, but in a good way.

4/5

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
One of the last great B-films. Stupid as hell, but just as fun.

lunchtime
Feb 24, 2004
Bruce Campbell can do no wrong and neither can Sam Raimi (Unless Spider Man 2 sucks). This movie may have been bad but it felt good. Too many great lines to recieve a bad score.

4.5/5

The Ranger
Apr 7, 2004

One of these days, I'm going to snap and kill that fucking bear.
So bad it's good, in the words of my father when I forced him to watch it with me. 4.5/5.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Fun movie with tongue FIRMLY planted in cheek, but not *that* great. 4/5

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

I finally got the chance to see this after being told to countless times.
Ash is really drat badass and he kicked some serious rear end throughout the movie.

The ending is humorous (along with many other parts), and the entire movie I find isn't supposed to be taken seriously - it is a pretty bad movie, the effects are really cheesy and blatantly unconvincing, the acting is sub-par, but all in all it's just fun to watch and take delight in the one liners.

Also, it's a short movie with the bare minimum of beating around the bush with slow scenes that are devout to characters blabbing on and on.

Example: "Gimme some sugar, baby."

Some really tiny parts that I didn't care for too much but that was just water under the bridge

4.5/5

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

One of my favorite B-Movies. This was the first Evil Dead flick I watched, so sad to say its predecesssors (Evil Dead I and II) had a lot to live up to.

4/5

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
An instant classic. Hail to the King, baby.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
A fun movie with some genuinely great one-liners and jokes, but somehow the bigger budget (as compared to the first two Evil Dead movies) seems to hurt more than it helps; for me the free-wheeling low budget action of Evil Dead 1&2 are a big part of their charm. AoD's more audience-friendly rating (PG-13) likely also factors in here -- the first two movies aren't particularly scary, but they have a chip on their shoulder, a mean little hand-wringing playfulness, that seems mostly absent in the third movie.

What's left is definitely a fun B-movie, espescially with a group of like-minded friends, and well deserving of its place in the geek film canon. But compared to its predecessors it seems a little too polished and de-clawed at times.

3/5

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Truly one of the greatest movies of all time. Bruce Campbell kicks rear end! I own this movie and watch it at least once a month.

5/5!

angstacy69
Feb 28, 2004
NOT PART OF THE HARMONY.
voted 5.5 because i own all the versions of this movie on vhs and dvd. (boomstick version for dvd hadn't come out yet)

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

quote:

angstacy69 came out of the closet to say:
voted 5.5 because i own all the versions of this movie on vhs and dvd. (boomstick version for dvd hadn't come out yet)

I own the Boomstick Edition on DVD :wtf:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Awesome movie, although I disagree with people saying its a bad movie from a filmmaking standpoint. The cinematography is excellent and camerwork creative. It has many mistakes, sure, but that is usually because of budget constraints, and I can easily forgive that.

The movie is a B movie, but it has to be one of the best looking B movies I have seen. I'm a big fan of Sam Raimi. From a filmmaking point of view, this movie perfectly acheives what it set out to do, to make a fun action/comedy based on the Evil Dead series.

quote:

Kro-Bar came out of the closet to say:

I own the Boomstick Edition on DVD :wtf:

It's lovely. The best version is easily the MGM Region 3 Hong Kong edition. I've seen both the Anchor Bay releases and the MGM, and by drat the MGM completely kicks the motherfucking rear end out of the Anchor Bay release both in terms of visual quality and sound. Also, its the Directors Cut. Special Features are OK too. Check out an image comparison here: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/army.htm

You don't truly appreciate the quality of the movie until you see this print. Its truly excellent. I got my copy from http://www.cd-wow.com/. Free international shipping and very cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fennek
Feb 18, 2004
Dran, Drauf, Drueber
I also own the MGM version and I think it's the only version that was released here in Germany. The quality is far, far better than any other version out there. Everything is clean and looks fairly new.

Unfortunatly some scenes look too clean, for example the haunted wind mill. The original Army of Darkness was dark and gritty, the MGM version is clean and polished. From the visual standpoint, the MGM version is far better. If you prefer the dark atmosphere, than the original version is your choice.

Oh yeah: 5/5