Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huzyrdadi
Feb 28, 2001
Directed by: Clark Johnson
Starring: Colin Farrell, Samuel L. Jackson, LL Cool J, Michelle Rodriquez

S.W.A.T. is another film in a trend of remaking popular television shows of yesteryear. Like many of its kind, this film doesn't feel like a remake so much as it does a script written independently, found, and changed here and there to pass as a remake. To say it's loosely based is being kind.

Forgetting this is a remake, this film is a disaster from the start. IMDB lists the plot as "An imprisoned drug kingpin offers a huge cash reward to anyone that can break him out of police custody and only the LAPD's Special Weapons and Tactics team can prevent it." None of this is evident until an hour in. The entire first half of the film is eaten up in introducing characters, forming the team and actually getting active in the department.

And of course, the captain hates everyone. The captain is more of a villain than the criminal mastermind. But he's just cranky because the mayor is breathing down his neck. Just once I'd like to see a captain who isn't just looking for an excuse to fire everyone.

Once we've finally introduced everyone and gotten our story straight (something that really only needed to take five minutes) we enter into the fastest organization of a criminal mastermind that anyone has ever seen. In Speed, Dennis Hopper states it took him six months to plan the elevator job -- the next day he has the city wired with bombs. The villian in S.W.A.T. is using the same playbook. Within 5 minutes, the entire team is thwarted at every turn by a highly armed, highly organized criminal who has gone crazy for no apparent reason.

Just when I asked myself how this could get any worse, the ending gambit arrived, complete with incredibly poor computer generated effects. I asked myself why they didn't just pull the stunt right before I realized it probably isn't possible.

S.W.A.T. is just another incredibly unbeliveable bad to worse disasterpiece theatre offering that provides nothing in the way of entertainment. Save your money.

RATING: 1

PROS: fun cast
CONS: incredibly poor story, boring & transparent characters, completely unbelievable.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0257076/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kokuja
Jun 16, 2003

She smells like angels oughta smell. The perfect woman. The goddess.
There wasn't much to this film if you've seen a couple cop movies in your lifetime. The cast was fun (I watched the DVD with the cast commentary and it made the movie better because I didn't have to listen to the dialouge). I always compare one movie to others of it's kind, and this one had a few good action sequences, but nothing to be impressed by. I give it a 2.5/5

Pros: Stuff blew up, the cast was interesting, and more stuff blew up
Cons: Just another cop movie. Nothing new