Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kokuja
Jun 16, 2003

She smells like angels oughta smell. The perfect woman. The goddess.
Directed by: James Cameron
Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, and Michael Biehn

Summary: A cyborg assassin called "The Terminator" is sent back through time to 1984 to kill the seemingly innocent Sarah Connor-a woman whose unborn son will lead the human race to victory in a bitter future war with a race of machines.

Review: This movie is way ahead of it's time. During a period in the 80's when the action genre was dominated with movies such as Commando (another Arnold classic) that had very little substance, providing nothing more than a few good explosions, and bad one-liners, the Terminator gave hopes that one day these cheesy action movies can have a decent plot. IMHO, this is one of the best movies ever made. I gained a new found appreciation for it when I rented the DVD with the extra features. Sure the special effects pale in comparison to today's movies (an above average film school student today could've made this movie), but with all the sub-par action movies these days with 100 million dollar budgets, one might think writers have become somewhat lazy.

For those of you that have never seen this movie, you could compare the budget spent on this to movies like the Blair Witch Project, El Mariachi, and Reservior Dogs

RATING: 5

PROS: Ahead of it's time. A low-budget miracle
CONS: bad special effects

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088247/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KimchiHead
Jan 10, 2004

A great movie, even with the animatronic Arnold checking out his sun glasses in the mirror. If the special effects were on par with T2, I would prefer T1. I thought the T-101 was a much more menacing villain than the T-1000. T1 also had a cooler atmosphere; T2 felt too much like hollywood.

4.5/5

weasel sack
Sep 11, 2001

NIANOCRAD eternally spins and has hundreds of light tunnels that shoot out from the pits of a unique and self-contained HELL
I think "The Terminator" is the greatest "bad" movie ever made, even better than the original Star Wars. The acting sucks, the dialogue sucks, incredibly low budget, the story is cheesy as all hell ("Robot sent back in time to kill mother of resistance"), and James Cameron was still an amateur.

But in the end it works, and works well, and is one of the most memorable film experiences ever. The style, action, brutality, music, and visceral threshold was way ahead of its time, and a treat to watch all over again. The first 20 minutes of this movie shoots out like a cannon.

The Police station shootout was probably the greatest American 80's action scene ever (the all-time international winner goes to John Woo's "The Killer").

4.5/5

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
This movie uses and crosses so many movie formulas, but to the best degree. Time travel, robot monsters, serial killing (to a degree) and the beginning of the woman as a strong character in an action flick role, but it all comes together so seamlessly.

Some of the special effects are a little dated, but the naked skeleton of the Terminator is still pretty impressive to this day. The first installment was still the most original, and the weak dialogue was fitting, considering the main character was a killer robot. This movie also began the road for catch phrases in movies. I'll be back.

Great movie.