Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden Gentiles
Jul 24, 2003

Please feed the wookie.
Directed by: Jared Hess
Starring: Jon Heder, Efren Ramirez, Haylie Duff

before seeing this movie, i had heard it described as a combination of Rushmore, Election, and Revenge of the Nerds -- big shoes to fill in my eyes, since Rushmore and Election are two of the better comedies i have seen recently (especially Rushmore). let me tell you, this movie did not disappoint in the least.

Napoleon Dynamite is a movie about the life of your stereotypical high school nerd: socially awkward, odd name (Napoleon Dynamite), huge glasses, weird interests (fantastic creatures such as unicorns and "Ligers"), etc. It also follows the lives of his best friend (a recently arrived Mexican immigrant), his 32-year old brother (who spends hours talking to his online girlfriend "LaFawnduh" while still living at home), and his uncle Rico who cannot seem to move on from the early Eighties.

I have to say that this is one of the funniest movies that i have ever seen. I was laughing constantly during the movie, and although i found the movie a bit short (probably because it was so entertaining), it's definitely better than a movie that seems to drag on and on. The actors all gave great performances, especially Heder as the titular Napoleon

If you can't tell by now, I highly recommend this movie!

5/5

edit: i forgot the mention, the soundtrack is awesome

RATING: 5.0

PROS: great characters, hilarious script
CONS: a bit short (86 mins)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/napoleondynamite/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

It was like a good natured version of "Welcome to the Dollhouse" - I loved it, it was incredibly funny and I'll probably go see it again.

acslater
Feb 8, 2003

acid is groovy, kill the pigs
There was no point in this movie that I wasn't laughing.

Aloha Alex
Apr 28, 2003
There were parts that could have been hilarious but weren't, however, overall it was 5555. I laughed hilariously at a couple of parts and just semi-hilariously at everything else.

Re: The Poster Below Me

you're dumb. Why do people breathe? JUST TO STAY ALIVE? PISHPOSH! THAT'S IT? WE CAN'T THINK OF A BETTER REASON FOR BREATHING THAN THAT! WHEREFORE, THEN, DO WE BREATHE GOOD SIR?

Aloha Alex fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 13, 2004

ford
Jul 7, 2003

I have to post my review: THIS MOVIE IS TOTAL CRAP!!!!!

i was first clued into this fact by the sloppy, wes anderson rip-off opening credits. nice focus pulling, jerkwater. nice timing, dipweed. and if you think that this is a nit-picky criticism, then you have no basis for judging this style of credit sequence. because anderson delivers this sort of thing like a time-bomb wrapped in UNWRINKLED TINFOIL.

the rest of the film was a nightmare.

yes, yes, it had funny bits. mostly funny lines that were mostly funny because of funny deliveries, mostly. the actors were good. they were well-cast and interesting.

but funny dialogue and good casting is NOT ENOUGH.

this movie is a pointless series of useless scenes, funny at first because of the aforementioned qualities - but this does NOT last. (and I love "Gerry" and "Barry Lyndon")

very quickly it becomes an exercise where the director tries to think of the "wackiest" thing Napoleon can say next - but it all means NOTHING. for example, why is the character named Napoleon? answer: because it would be a funny name for the movie.

"because it would be funny for the movie" is the reason for EVERYTHING. AARG! and that is bad. compare it, as so many people are doing for some reason, with rushmore:

Napoleon Dynamite (is that his last name?) loves to draw. He draws silly things like "ligers". Why? Because this would be funny. Max Fischer writes plays about topics seemingly far too serious for a high school student. Why? Because his mother died, but not before she gave him a typewriter and encouraged him "Bravo, Max! Love, Mom".

Does Napoleon's drawing have any effect on the story -- does it matter at all that he draws? Well, it does lead to ONE scene. Which turns out to be equally pointless. Begin new, pointless, two scene, cause-effect sequence now!

Does Max's playwriting have any affect on the story? YES!! Playwriting got him into Rushmore. Playwriting brings him out of his funk at Grover-Cleveland. Playwriting helps bring Ms. Cross and Herman back together.

The most frustrating part is that Napoleon COULD be an interesting character. He IS. But the writers were so smugly satisfied with coming up with him, that they just decided to stop there and not think of a STORY for him to exist in. i find this insulting to an audience. and people who eat this poo poo up with a spoon are, to me, analogous to beaten housewives who won't abandon their man.

I can only guess that the thing is that the director of Napoleon Dynamite really wants to be a movie director because, well, that would be so cool, right? Wes Anderson, on the other hand is interested in MAKING a movie.

I guess I prefer the latter.

But, if you want to be just another sucker that falls for the Fake poo poo as opposed the Real Stuff, go ahead and laugh all the way through "Napoleon Dynamite" --- and tell your friends how "fresh" and "bizarre" it is. Then go home and watch your personal copy of loving "Donnie Darko" because you are a TASTELESS LOSER.

acslater
Feb 8, 2003

acid is groovy, kill the pigs

quote:

ford came out of the closet to say:
I have to post my review: THIS MOVIE IS TOTAL CRAP!!!!!

i was first clued into this fact by the sloppy, wes anderson rip-off opening credits. nice focus pulling, jerkwater. nice timing, dipweed. and if you think that this is a nit-picky criticism, then you have no basis for judging this style of credit sequence. because anderson delivers this sort of thing like a time-bomb wrapped in UNWRINKLED TINFOIL.

the rest of the film was a nightmare.

yes, yes, it had funny bits. mostly funny lines that were mostly funny because of funny deliveries, mostly. the actors were good. they were well-cast and interesting.

but funny dialogue and good casting is NOT ENOUGH.

this movie is a pointless series of useless scenes, funny at first because of the aforementioned qualities - but this does NOT last. (and I love "Gerry" and "Barry Lyndon")

very quickly it becomes an exercise where the director tries to think of the "wackiest" thing Napoleon can say next - but it all means NOTHING. for example, why is the character named Napoleon? answer: because it would be a funny name for the movie.

"because it would be funny for the movie" is the reason for EVERYTHING. AARG! and that is bad. compare it, as so many people are doing for some reason, with rushmore:

Napoleon Dynamite (is that his last name?) loves to draw. He draws silly things like "ligers". Why? Because this would be funny. Max Fischer writes plays about topics seemingly far too serious for a high school student. Why? Because his mother died, but not before she gave him a typewriter and encouraged him "Bravo, Max! Love, Mom".

Does Napoleon's drawing have any effect on the story -- does it matter at all that he draws? Well, it does lead to ONE scene. Which turns out to be equally pointless. Begin new, pointless, two scene, cause-effect sequence now!

Does Max's playwriting have any affect on the story? YES!! Playwriting got him into Rushmore. Playwriting brings him out of his funk at Grover-Cleveland. Playwriting helps bring Ms. Cross and Herman back together.

The most frustrating part is that Napoleon COULD be an interesting character. He IS. But the writers were so smugly satisfied with coming up with him, that they just decided to stop there and not think of a STORY for him to exist in. i find this insulting to an audience. and people who eat this poo poo up with a spoon are, to me, analogous to beaten housewives who won't abandon their man.

I can only guess that the thing is that the director of Napoleon Dynamite really wants to be a movie director because, well, that would be so cool, right? Wes Anderson, on the other hand is interested in MAKING a movie.

I guess I prefer the latter.

But, if you want to be just another sucker that falls for the Fake poo poo as opposed the Real Stuff, go ahead and laugh all the way through "Napoleon Dynamite" --- and tell your friends how "fresh" and "bizarre" it is. Then go home and watch your personal copy of loving "Donnie Darko" because you are a TASTELESS LOSER.

As stated in a GBS thread, ford must be def to all things funny. Aparently if anything resonates in the least to a 'hip' crowd it must be crap. But I will agree Donnie Darko is crap.

The whole point of the movie was that it didn't have a point. poo poo even the tagline is "hes going to prove he has nothing to prove". The movie is about his amazing mere existence.

acslater fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 13, 2004

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
Yes, this movie is so pointless, but in a good way. It can't really be explained, it has to be seen.

This movie really relies on the charm (or lack thereof) of the characters. Personally, to me it had this weird rural Degrassi feel to it and on one hand, it's a really predictable movie but on the other hand, I love how at the last minute, they choose to resolve the ending in the weirdest manner possible.

Some of the lines are just downright hilarious and unforgettable. Probably the funniest movie I've seen this year thus far.

4.5/5

Bathing Poodle
Nov 28, 2003

by Fistgrrl
"I caught you a delicious bass"

walrusnote: thanks for your wonderfully intelligent and well thought-out review, fag.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 23, 2004

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
One of the most enjoyable movies I have seen in a while. Who would have thought this is an "MTV Films" production?

5/5

jc dracula
Nov 7, 2001
the opening titles establish pretty much what to expect from the rest of the movie - a somewhat contrived and quirky sequence that represents nothing that hasn't been done before and somehow fails to resonate as its predecessors did.

one of the most striking things about napoleon dynamite is how very long it feels. most every joke in the movie gets repeated at least three times. if they'd chosen to focus on some kind of central plot rather than meander from scene to scene with little purpose it might have helped to break up the monotony. as it is, the film is a string of hit-or-miss vignettes that provide some good laughs interrupted frequently by forced and unfunny bits that stretch the one-dimensional characters beyond their comedic limits.

the filmmakers strive for over-the-top wackiness but manage to pull all the punches for a PG rating. the apperance of a pet llama is the kind of zany gag that would be most comfortable tucked in the liner notes of a weird al album. people get hit in the head a lot. the more subtly absurd pieces of dialogue are overshadowed by the endless sight gags and prat falls, the latter of which flatten like hours-old pepsi as the film wears on.

napoleon dynamite is funny but there's little originality to be found. it cribs liberally from the past decade of slightly sub-mainstream outsider/highschool comedies--darker works like election, welcome to the dollhouse, dan clowes' work, wes anderson crap--but sells out the underlying angst for a breezy revenge of the nerds conclusion. the derelict americana thrift-store shtick is growing tiresome. the napoleon character himself feels extremely familiar, like an amalgam of characterizations you've seen in the past--i was reminded of a less spastic version of will ferral's harry caray character, for example.

if you get into an advance screening you're liklely to encounter one of the most abrasive marketing campaigns i've seen. fox searchlight seems determined to push this thing into instant cult status, a tactic i doubt ever has or ever will really work. this isn't nearly as hip or funny as they want you to think it is. it's not as hip or funny as it wants to think it is, either. this is the stuff mtv movie awards skits are made of.

helium muppet
Jun 17, 2003

Once again, Alex gets the jitters.
The best PG movie I've seen in years.

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

"Hey Napolean, what are you going to do today?"

"Whatever I want, gosh!"

So. Best.

porkasaurus
May 12, 2004

quote:

mA came out of the closet to say:
One of the most enjoyable movies I have seen in a while. Who would have thought this is an "MTV Films" production?

5/5

I was thinking the same thing, but I remembered previously thinking the same thing about Better Luck Tomorrow, which I enjoyed.

Ariel
Jun 29, 2004

One of my new favorites. It might not have been brilliant film making, and it certainly lacked a plot, but it was very enjoyable.

5/5

Doctor McNinja
Mar 28, 2003

Holy crap, this movie was hilarious. An interesting thing I noticed was it didn't really seem to take place in any one time period. For a while I swore it was happening during the early 90's, then I remembered someone was using the internet. It jumped around time periods a lot. Not a complaint, just an observance. Also, they are in high school, but Napolean rides the bus with elementary school kids, and has recess.

5/5

JARJARBannedCar
Jan 27, 2004
You probably know who you're dealing with.
I have never seen a movie with a less coherant storyline than Napoleon Dynamite. How could this hilarious film fail to add a clear plot? It's not very challenging to make your characters follow an archetypal series of events. Why not have Napoleon save the farm from city hall and the evil mayor there is no evil mayor in this movie?

I'm assuming that the writers of Napoleon Dynamite left out a cookie-cutter plot because such plots always highlight the redeemable qualities of the characters. Napoleon and others from his town are too pathetic to experience high adventure and suspense. Every aspect of this movie focuses on how average yet hilarious these individuals are.

The lack of tradition and plot makes this film resemble the theatre of the absurd. If you can enjoy Waiting for Godot, there's no sense in not watching Napoleon Dynamite.

I'm glad that little effort was put into finding an attractive cast. While they don't try for low-brow jokes about enormously fat girls doing something that enormously fat people shouldn't do, everyone's appearance is ridiculed. Anyone who sees this movie should personally know someone more attractive than every character from Napoleon Dynamite. Again, it adds a pathetic element to the story. Whenever Napoleon wears a unicorn shirt, it's a laugh. Every dress warn to Napoleon's dance is a terrible, terrible dress, but the atmosphere is amusing. The movie redeems itself with combinations like that.

The only way to enjoy this movie is by appreciating the minimal range of sensations that it creates. It's simply an amusing movie. There's nothing exciting and you might cringe at the thought of a love scene while watching. But it's a fantastic movie for making amazingly hilarious comedy in an average and tedious atmosphere.

My opinion is biased since I got a free T-shirt for watching this movie.

STFU DONNY
Apr 8, 2004

I'M RIDIN' SPINNAZ! THEY DON'T STOP!
Saw it last night, and I've got to admit that if I wasn't laughing throughout the movie I had a big grin on my face. Very enjoyable, especially since I was not expecting much of anything at all.

4.5/5

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
Oh sweet jesus slapping up "Vote Pedro" posters to the A-Team theme song is possibly the funniest thing I've seen in years.

4.5/5

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The movie had no driving conflict because Napoleon wasn't uncertain of himself or aspiring to be something he wasn't. Things just happened to work out for everyone. And even then that wasn't taken as some huge reason to celebrate a victory. It was just another day.

4.5/5.0 for challenging the mature viewer and making a movie that even the most spastic 10 year old can enjoy.

Edit: I can't stop saying "My lips hurt real bad."

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 4, 2004

JIHAD JERRY
Mar 16, 2004

by Fragmaster
I was dragged to this movie with some friends, and I wasn't expecting anything out of it, so I went in with a negative attitude. As soon as I heard some of the soundtrack and watched the opening credits (both were very well done), I eased up a little and just decided to give it a chance. I don't remember the last time I saw a movie that made me laugh so much, most of the jokes were really simple and stupid, but I laughed regardless. Sure a lot of people are whining about the plot and its holes, but were you really expecting an awesome plot? I wasn't, but I was too busy laughing to care either way

The only thing I didn't like when I saw this movie, was that there were 6 people total in the movie theater and it looks like this movie is going to slip under the radar. Ok, there is one other thing I didn't like too much, it just seemed like one long late-night comedy show sketch at some points, but its forgiveable. The only other bad thing I can think of is that now my friends quote the movie every 5 minutes and quoting movies/TV shows out of context is really hilarious. :waycool:

This is one of the better movies I've seen this year, and I highly reccomend it.

4.5/5

FUNTOWN
Jan 20, 2004

A mighty wizard never truly dies.
-Love, LoB
This movie is exactly what its like to live in the rural west, minus the meth.
My life would be alot like this if I didn't have things like 'second thoughts' and
'internal conflicts'.

4.5/5 I thought it dragged alittle in the middle

Hah-hah ford NEW YORK CITY

Dr.McButtcheeks
Aug 15, 2002

Butt Doctor
The first time I saw this movie when the MTV Films logo went across the screen my first reaction was, "Oh crap..." Thank God I was wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I've seen it twice now and I was impressed that I laughed just as hard my second time through. Most people who dislike the movie fail to grasp that the reason there is no plot is because nothing much happens in rural Idaho. The movie illustrates how pathetic it is to live in a town like Napoleon's. If you are looking for a movie with a clear-cut conflict and resolution and ending, then Napoleon Dynamite is not your movie. The casting in the movie was what really made it work in my opinion. The delivery on every single one of Napoleon's lines was just perfect and had me laughing even at really simple sentences, and like someone stated earlier in the thread, the cast consisted of normals. You are supposed to know people who are better-looking than the people in the movie. I like the fact that the movie was rated PG. It demonstrated that a movie doesn't need swearing and vulgarity to be funny, a movie only needs interesting, quirky characters. The lack of adult content and language adds a lot to the childishness of the characters in the film. And while the movie does follow a style similar to Wes Anderson's, I think most fans of Anderson's work will enjoy Napoleon Dynamite, although it is nowhere near as deep and complex as movies like Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums.

5/5

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
What I loved about this film is that it took a million Geek-Wins-In-The-End cliches, and played them up so low-fi that it almost seemed like the movie was mocking itself. It's really stupid humor that was delivered just right. If they had tried to make it look any more polished or produced, it would have lost all it's charm and I'd be giving this a low rating.

4.5/5

InsomniakV
Mar 20, 2004

Ambien is my teddy bear...
I absolutely loved this movie. It should be noted that it was in no way created by MTV films or FOX Searchlight. It was an independent movie that was picked up by the two production companies. I am a huge fan of comedy based on social awkwardness and the awkward silence that naturally creeps into our conversations. Napoleon Dynamite is chock full of both. Easily the funniest movies I have seen this year but I highly recommend seeing it with people who aren't looking for an Anchorman/Dodgeball comedy because they will be disappointed and angry at the movie. Otherwise highly recommended to everyone when it arrives in full release

5/5

In other news, how in the hell did this movie make into wide release? Consider my mind blown.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Editted to a review I recently wrote for a webzine based at my school:

Everything I had previously heard regarding Napoleon Dynamite led me to believe I was going to enjoy the movie and cherish it for years to come. Everything I had previously heard was a filthy, disgusting lie on par with “There’s going to be a Lollapalooza tour this summer.” The movie presents characters that range from unlikable to loathsome to apathy-inducing, as well as a story that, well, there is no story. Instead, the viewer gets 85 minutes of alleged “jokes” strung together to show us how wacky life is in Napoleon Dynamite’s universe.

The hero of the movie, as you may have guessed, is one Napoleon Dynamite (Jon Header), named as such for no apparent reason other than it sounds ludicrous. If this movie has done anything successfully, it has created the most unlikable protagonist in recent film history. Napoleon is socially awkward to the point where you can’t feel sorry for him when he’s harassed and mocked by the “cool kids” of the film. Throughout the movie, he’s a squinty, obnoxious jerk who acts as though everyone is on his case, when for the most part they’re just trying to co-exist. Right from the start of the film Napoleon flips out on a kid on the school bus who innocently asks him what he plans his plans for the day are. Napoleon can’t even handle maintaining a decent relationship with a llama, at which he flings food for refusal to eat.

The other characters in the film don’t fare much better. There’s Napoleon’s Uncle Rico (Jon Gries), who we’re told is stuck in the 80s, which is an unexceptional trait considering that everyone else in the town is stuck in the 80s as well. Napoleon’s brother Kip (Aaron Ruell) is slightly more modern, spending his days “chatting with hot babes on the Internet.” In a remarkably unfunny sequence later in the film, we see the nerdy Kip dressed up as a thug by his Internet girlfriend LaFawnduh, played Shondrella Avery, who helpfully shows the world that black people are different from white people. If I wanted that kind of dreck I would’ve gone to see White Chicks.

The cast also features Tina Majorino of Waterworld fame as Napoleon’s friend and one of the few likable, if not completely forgettable, characters. Another character who is not entirely grating is Pedro (Efren Ramirez), the new student at school who is befriended by Napoleon. Pedro also serves as an excuse to include a low rider in the movie. This is funny because the film takes place in Idaho, and we all know there ain’t no low riders in Idaho.

That’s not to say the film is without its redeeming qualities. For every ten jokes that fall flat, there are one or two that hit their mark, such as a piñata effigy of a student council presidential candidate. However, such a low batting average is not nearly enough to keep the movie afloat.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 3, 2004

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

THANKS FOR POSTING A REVIEW, COLD FUSION!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Defined odd but kicked rear end in so many ways. Loved the Jamiroquai inclusion finally some drat recognition for my favorite acid jazz band.

quote:

TexasWasteland came out of the closet to say:
and it was still funny the second time i saw it.

Agreed

Chili fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 22, 2004

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

custom title says it all my friends.
5/5

Alsander
Jan 20, 2004

I'm gay for banana's.
Nothing I can really say that hasnt already been said. Its a movie with almost 0 plot, but hilarious characters in every day circumstances. The humor in it was really hard to pinpoint. It was just extremely subtle and I cant put my finger on it. But Napoleons look and the way he talked was perfect for every single word that came out of his mouth. And the other characters made it even better.

4.5/5

jewmanchue
Dec 7, 2003
the eater of pie and pie related foods.
easy going fun movie.

"pedro offers you his protection."

5/5

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

I just got back from seeing this movie, and I have to say that it was probably one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. The fact that every single character in the film (except maybe Kip's girlfriend) was a pathetic mess. The ambiguity of the movie's setting (anytown U.S.A., mid 1990's) added tremendously to the flmwriter's ability to set up hystarical scenarios.

Napoleon Dynamite's real advantage over most other comedies is that it takes the time to include visual humor, in addition to the dialouge. Things like Kip runnung over the tupperware bowl, or Napoleon chugging Gatorade like a spaz made me laugh just as hard as the million funny quotes that came out of the film.

5/5

TexasWasteland
Mar 26, 2003
its funny and it doesnt suck. 4.5/5

and it was still funny the second time i saw it.

TexasWasteland fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 21, 2004

UberNoke
Jul 20, 2004

Are you injecting dope into your scrotum!? You can tell me! I’m hip!
Just saw a commercial for this, with Jon Heder advertising a new scene at the end of the movie, a wedding. Napoleon says "Is it between Pedro and Summer? Kip and Lefonduh? Or Me and Deb?" So my guess is Uncle Rico and the mother of Napoleon's prom date, who also drives up to Rico on a bike at the end. So I guess I'll be seeing this for a third time.

5/5

UberNoke fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 22, 2004

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Sure it didn't have much of a plot, but that's okay! The movie is still plenty cohesive. I agree with everyone how the lack of plot is indicative of the situation in rural Idaho.

The movie is drat funny, well put together, and extremely well acted. Too bad the MTV kids give it a bad name.

3.5/5 -- GOSH!!

Oh and about the extra scene at the end of the movie- It's between Kip and Lefonduh. Kip sings a funny little song about how much he loves Lafonduh (but not as much as technology) and Napoleon rides up on a horse out of nowhere and presents the horse to them as a "honeymoon horse." Kip and Lafonduh ride into the sunset and Napoleon says "Lucky!"

Xarthor fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 3, 2005

Ty
Sep 1, 2001
Internet O.G.
My new favorite movie. I couldn't stop laughing throughout. Absolutely the best G-rated film in years, and from MTV Pictures nonetheless. Unreal. 5.5/5

sub_ubi
Jan 21, 2001

by Ozma
The movie was all kitsch and no plot.

Look guys, he has a lama for a pet. Get it? Oh that's right, there's nothing to get, it's just kitschy and therefore you should laugh.

The nerd schtick wasn't believable either. His shirts were too indie-rock cool, as was his suit. Every shirt he had is probably on sale at Buffalo Exchange for $25. The movie was obviously made by a hipster who has no idea how to create a nerdy character.

An example of an outcast/nerd comedy done right is Welcome to the Dollhouse, which was made by Todd Solondz, a truly misanthropic nerd.

There were some funny parts, but not enough for me to want to see it again or suggest it to anyone I know. Unfortunately it will be an instant cult classic (the bad kind) judging from reviews here, so I'm sure I'll be forced into watching it again anyway.

2/5.5

edit: Just read Ford's review, he's got it right on. If you thought Donnie Darko was deep, you'll think Napoleon Dynamite is funny.

sub_ubi fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 25, 2004

Dubber
Sep 11, 2001
HORRIBLE POSTER, SELF-OBSESSED POSTER.
This movie made me laugh constantly, the subtle humor was there with the way Napoleon walked, and moved. Everything was done so well and I laughed the entire time, I highly recommend it.

4.5/5

mockba
Sep 28, 2002
The genious in this movie is lack of plot. Im sick of everymovie reading the same: Introduction, character development, plot brewing, rising action, resolution, and conclusion. This movie barely glanced on any of that, which made it wonderful.

4.5~

oldkike
Jan 10, 2003

hey

www.pleasegimmeadollar.com
Probably the best movie I've seen this year. I voted a 5.0. Flippin awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisnorton
Jul 27, 2004

was it good? heck yeah it was

one of the best i've seen in a long long time

5/5