Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Directed by: Stephen Norrington
Starring: Sean Connery

LXG is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, but it definitely resides in the bottom of the heap of recent comic adaptations (along with Hulk).

There's a lot of fun and interesting characters here, but unfortunately the plot that brings them together is thin and unjustified. It's just an excuse to get them all together, of course, but good films are generally able to disguise it. It's painfully obvious in LXG.

Though the characters are entertaining on their own, the group dynamic never really comes into play in LXG, which is disappointing. Even in the final portions of the movie, the group aspect isn't really exploited, and you just feel as though you're watching different pieces of a whole story, involving different characters. A diverse group of superhoes operating as a unit is a large part of why things like X-men are successful and entertaining. Without much of a real reason to be together in the first place, the movie struggles and never manages to get the "league" working as a group action movie.

It's not all bad though, as I said, the individual characters (especially Captain Nemo and Sean Connery's character) are well-acted and have enough to work with. The effects and action sequences are mostly enjoyable, especially things involving Nemo's ship, which is very cool.

The movie turns ridiculous occasionally, asking you to believe there's a car chase going on in Venice ( :confused: ) and other silly things that stretch the boundaries of your "suspension of disbelief".

They obviously had the potential to create an excellent adaptation of LXG, but failed to make it more than a generic action movie involving a collection of interesting, but nonetheless disconnected characters.

RATING: 2.5

PROS: Cool characters, good action
CONS: Ridiculous at times, thin plot

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311429/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Holy poo poo that was a worthless post.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 2, 2004

HPopper 2.0
Jul 14, 2001

LXG is as bad as people make it out to be.

Aside from Dorian Grey, none of the "characters" really had any character at all. They were all basically defined by their superpower. This guy is invisible. This guy turns into Hyde. This chick is a vampire or something I guess. And then of course there were the cardboard characters WITHOUT superpowers: Namely Quartermain, Sawyer, "M", and Nemo. (Respectively: Gruff Action Hero, Rookie Partner, Villain, and... um... Guy With Moustache?)

According to IMDB, the brilliant scriptwriter behind this masterpiece was James Robinson. He's probably best known for penning the 1995 blockbuster Cyber Bandits and the riveting direct-to-video hits Comic Book Villains and Firearm. If you remember him from something else, then you've obviously suffered some sort of brain damage or possibly you live in the future because those three gems were apparently the only things worth noting that he's ever written before scrawling his script for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (and a crude sketch of his version of Venice, Italy) in green magic marker on a few of the Top Ramen wrappers he had strewn around his tiny studio apartment the night before they started shooting.

In addition to the characters (and the performances of the actors playing them) being boring as hell, the story - which, if based on a comic book, already has the potential to be very silly on the big screen - jumps the tracks into ludicrous territory partway through the film and then continues to careen out of control for another hour or so until the audience stops rolling their eyes and starts checking their watches. By the time "M" went over the intricate details of his evil plan (which was goofier than Dippy Dawg's entire repertoire) and then revealed his secret identity, I was ready to fly to L.A., track down everyone involved with this movie, and hit them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, including Sean "Shurely I Didn't Need Thish Paycheck That Badly" Connery. Not James Robinson, though. No... Him I'd kinap and lock in a room with the writer of Van Helsing where I'd force them to tell each other stories until one of their heads exploded. Unfortunately, if I was anywhere within earshot of that room, I'd probably be the first to go.

Piss-poor performances, dull action, and so very very very stupid. 0.5

HPopper 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 3, 2004

Moosk
Nov 15, 2003
I really really really really wanted this to be good, but as other posters have said, the plot is awful, and one or two of the characters are either not explained completely (captain Nemo), or just stupid(weird friend dude? "I SHOT GUN GUD").

1.5/5

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
I wanted to enjoy this movie as well, but god drat there was virtually no character development. I didn't give a poo poo when they started dieing. If they could hve extended this movie by another hour and started to develop them more plus have a better story it might have been a good movie.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts

quote:

J-Pak came out of the closet to say:
If they could hve extended this movie by another hour
I don't think anyone really wants that :cry:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

It could have been a decent movie had they not added that horrible Tom Sawyer character. It also didn't help that no one really seemed to know how to make it work. They released it at a bad time, too; I don't dislike comic book characters, but the market is pretty much saturated with bad comic book movies (Daredevil, for instance). It's sad to see an interesting concept completely butchered onscreen. 2/5

ubiquitous rex
Oct 28, 2003

Mullet power!
I acutally enjoyed this movie simply because of the novelty of having some of my favourite literary characters rendered on the screne. Well, mostly Dorian Grey. Anywho, I'm pretty good at suspending my disbelief entirely when watching anything adapted from a comic book (I liked some portions of Daredevil, as well as Batman Forever) and lapping it up like a good fanboy. Thusly, I came out of LXG unimpressed but not disappointed.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.
this movie's biggest fault was how disappointing it was for fans of the comic. aside from that, it was a pretty standard action movie: nothing great, nothing horrible.

Ceritus
Jul 31, 2002

C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it.
It could have been worse, but at the same time, it could've been a lot better. Most of the background on the characters was at least vaguely accurate, the action was all right, and some of the special effects were neat. Other than that, a really mediocore film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elister
Dec 29, 2001

by Mayor Wilkins
Hulk was alot better than this crap. Voted 2, and thats being more than fair.