Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jc dracula
Nov 7, 2001
Directed by: Tobe Hooper
Starring: Dennis Hopper, Caroline Williams, Jim Siedow, Bill Moseley, Bill Johnson

More of a dark horror-comedy than the tense, dead-serious original, this direct sequel is loaded with crazy-rear end gore and crazier set design. Everything is as over-the-top as it could be, blood is spraying, people are screaming, chainsaws are making chainsaw noise. This can get to be a little tiresome, especially near the end when there's a remake of a scene everyone already saw in the first movie. Generally there is enough wild fuckin' poo poo going on that you won't mind the moments where it all bleeds into white noise.

RATING: 3.5

PROS: -
CONS: -

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092076/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
This movie...wow. I just...wow. I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

I love horror/comedy, Braindead is the hardest I've ever laughed at a movie. I rented this expecting a retread of the first TCM, and by the end of the first killing I got the idea that this would be a goofier, funnier movie. Okay, cool. I might actually really enjoy this.

And I did enjoy it for a while...lots of funny observations on Texas culture, like the "fry house" and the fact that there's an entire store devoted to chainsaws. Once Chop-Top entered the picture it started becoming a little too over-the-top...yeah he's a great little character, I especially loved his bizarre habit of heating a wire hanger and scratching his head with it, but his first scene just drags on...and on...and on. He's a joke that Tobe Hooper stretched too thin. Then we see Leatherface masturbating and the whole thing takes a dive.

The next 45 minutes fall under one of three categories: boring and dull (Leatherface skinning the cowboy and discovering the DJ), obnoxious as all hell (every scene with Chop-Top in it), or just plain confusing (why did anyone think sexual tension between a woman and Leatherface would be a good idea? Why?) By the time they recreated the grandpa scene from the first movie I was ready to just turn it off and be done with it, anything to stop that loving family from screaming and laughing all the time. But I stuck it out until the last shot of the woman doing the most hilariously stupid dance ever performed with a chainsaw.

I give Hooper credit for trying to make something different, giving us some good one-liners ("Why is it that the businessman always always ALWAYS get it in the rear end?!") and creating some truly incredible set design. But I just can't fully enjoy a movie when every character in it annoys me to no end.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
AAAAAAAAH, there goes my hemorrhoids!

This is the best chainsaw movie of any of the installments. It combines plenty of gore with lots of blood and guts, with a bit of over the top comedic action thrown in for good measure. Dennis Hopper was superb.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Dennis Hopper has a chainsaw duel with Leatherface. If this idea amuses you, you will like this movie. It's as simple as that.

mynie
Sep 16, 2002

by HELLTANK
No where near as geniunely scary as the original, this one makes it mark purely on laughs--and they're suprisingly plentiful and not cheap. The old man wanting to open an amusement park called 'Nam Land, the guy who keep heating up a coat hanger and sticking it to the metal plate in his head so that he can peel off some skin to eat, it's all wonderful.

mindmeetspavement
Apr 13, 2004
Anu1wubb3r bought me this because hes so cool
On account that most of the funding for this movie went to denis hoppers cocaine addiction (My friends uncle was a producer of the movie) I cant say that this was really that horrible.

terrible acting, to the point where its funny
Chainsaw fight...there is nothing else to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju
Mar 19, 2003

HEINEKEN!?! FUCK THAT SHIT! PABST BLUE RIBBON!!
A lot of love for Dennis Hopper in this thread, but I think he's completely overshadowed by Bill Moseley as Choptop. That guy reigns supreme on my list of horror movie villains and yells out some prime dialog (LICK MY PLATE, YOU DOG DICK!). It has a kick rear end soundtrack, excellent Savini gore and a chainsaw duel. It may not hold a candle to the original and feels nothing like it's predecessor, but it stands strong on it's own merits.

Definitely worth a 4.