Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milkhorse
Dec 17, 2003
Directed by: Ryuhei Kitamura
Starring: Yumiko Shaku

Just watched this. Pretty drat good. A bit of hackneyed cliche here and there, what with the typical LOVE FOR MY WIFE MAKES ME DO EVIL THINGS LIKE SUMMON THE DEVIL villain. Also, 99 percent of all girl/girl sword duels are fakey and weak. Why? Strangely, the most convincing fighter was Yumiko, a MODEL. Apparently she got some kendo practice in between photo shoots. Anyway, good movie, rolls along at a good pace. Dips just enough into the overdone japanese horrorthriller to be interesting, but not so much that it forgets the characters and point.
Also, sorry, but it needed less comic relief fat photo guy... At least all the girls are fairly attractive. Especially evil wraith girl, for some reason. Evil adds hot +10. Not so much for the priestess girl, she looked constantly stoned... :[

RATING: 5

PROS: action, girl/girl swordfights, a coherent plot.
CONS: girls cant fake-fight, somewhat cliche here and there

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398563/

EDIT: I think the posters below totally missed the point of enjoying this as cheesy stupid fun. Maybe I was just in a goofy mood... :\

milkhorse fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 24, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

It's rather unfortunate that Ryuhei Kitamura's movies seem trapped on a gradual decline in quality (as illustrated by the stellar Versus, followed by the decent Azumi and now, the mediocre Sky High). The fights as mentioned above were poorly choreographed, shot and performed, and many of the characters were simple charicatures that barely elicited any sympathy from me (the female doctor in particular was someone I found annoying). The pacing was off, the editing pedestrian and the energy traditionally found in Kitamura's films was absent here. The only part I really enjoyed was the final reunion between Kanzaki and Mina, which for some reason managed to tug at the heart strings. Of course, that's ruined by the ending that tries a bit too desperately to end the film with some style.

2.5/5

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
Everything about this film screamed direct-to-video garbage to me. The fights(the villian and the final guardian(name eludes me) seem to be the only people in the film that seem to have the capability of wielding a sword.) The CGI is laughably bad...the plot extroadinarily cliched...hoakey dialogue is in abundance here...the movie is simply quite unexciting.

Definitely the worst Kitumara movie I've seen thus far.

1.5/5

hellocruelworld fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 15, 2004

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

It was good for some pointless fun, all and all it's a lot better then Alive but nowhere near as good as Versus and Azumi.

Overall the movie was lacking a good plot, but had a couple of cool fights.

Voted a mediocre 2.5