Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquasol
Jun 23, 2003

Destroy all dreamers w/ debt + depression...
Directed by: Rob Zombie
Starring: Chris Hardwick, Erin Daniels, Jennifer Jostyn, Rainn Wilson

This is a movie that everyone loves to hate, but I actually enjoyed it.

If you don't know who Rob Zombie is (besides the fact that he's a musician), he has a fetish for old horror movies. It's no surprise that this movie borrows a lot from them, particularly Texas Chainsaw Massacre; it's a tribute. The story follows four teenage friends driving through the country looking for weird roadside attractions for their documentary. When they arrive at Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Madmen, they are told about a local legend named Doctor Satan. Apparently, Doctor Satan, a surgeon at the nearby mental hospital, thought that through experimentation he could create a race of superhumans out of the mentally ill. Eventually the tortured patients had enough and took him out into the woods to hang him. The next morning, his body was gone :eek: The friends decide to go check out this Doctor Satan mystery, and that's pretty much where the story ends.

I would like to end this by saying that if you watch this movie expecting it to be a serious horror movie, you will probably not enjoy it. If you sit back, watch it, and allow yourself to be entertained, I think you will probably find it funnier than a good portion of your average summer comedies. I know I did.

RATING: 3.5

PROS: hilarious, Captain Spaulding
CONS: there are a few lulls

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251736/

Aquasol fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 12, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Captain Spaulding
Otis Driftwood
Rufus 'R.J.' Firefly Jr.
Grandpa Hugo

Are all names derived from Groucho Marx characters. That should be more than enough to indicate that it's a horror comedy or comedy horror flick.

Uneven, raw, slow in parts, but some good, campy and somewhat scary individual scenes.

Captain-Obvious
Aug 19, 2003

by Livestock
I genuinely hated this movie. It wasn't even campy enough to be redeeming. There is only ONE thing in it that I liked, and I liked it enough to consider it profound.

When the cop was being held at gunpoint, they held the shot in silence for what felt like an eternity. You could FEEL the cop contemplating his life, and his inevitable death. Perhaps he was considering grabbing the gun, but was too scared. Perhaps he was praying silently. Perhaps he was ready to die. And they held the shot long enough to force the audience to contemplate those things too. It was an incredible scene that would've been much better placed in a serious drama or horror film.

Outside of that, this is the lovely CD sleeve art of Rob Zombie in lovely music form, with the cocksucker who used to host "Singled Out."

1/5

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
re: the spoilered part above. I knew what was coming, and I still jumped when it happened.

I enjoyed the movie, it borrowed VERY heavily from TCM as mentioned in the original post, but I felt it had enough originality to be remembered as it's own movie, rather than a cheap compilation of thieved ideas.

Basically, Rob Zombie made what every gore/horror/slasher movie director WANTED to make in the 70's but couldn't.

3.5/5

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

You say "homage", I say uninspired amateurish patchwork of unscary crap. What a fiasco. Take out Sid Haig as Captain Spaulding, and there's absolutely no reason to watch this wreck. This is one of the worst "horror" films I've ever seen.

Bob The Ripper
Jan 20, 2004

You can run.
You can hide.
Gonna get ya.
I liked this movie. A lot. I suppose that one of the reasons for my liking of this movie is that fact that I have never seen anything like this in the theater before, so the experience alone of seeing this on the big screen was enough to heighten my opinion of it. One friend of mine said "This movie makes me want to masturbate, vomit, and cry all at the same time," and I cannot say that I disagree. I am going to vote this movie a 5 because, in my opinion, Zombie did exactly what he set out to do. He made an homage to classic 70s horror flicks. He didn't set out to make it scary. He didn't set out to make it overly original or captivating. He wanted to combine everything he liked of his favorite horror movies, and he did, very well.

Dubber
Sep 11, 2001
HORRIBLE POSTER, SELF-OBSESSED POSTER.
I really enjoyed this movie, and I wasn't into it for the scares. It was campy, cool and the retro setting made it cooler. I loved the sets, and I had a lot of fun with this movie. I knew it wouldn't be genuinely scary, but I was excited to see some of the crazy poo poo Rob Zombie could come up with.

4/5

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I pretty much agree with a poster above- Captain Spaulding was the only reason to watch this film. The plot was quite terrible (and starts making no sense whatsoever about 15 minutes from the end), dialogue was uninspiring (except for said Spaulding, who makes profanity funny much like your raunchy uncle does), and there were no real scares/gore/genuine laughs. Directing is lukewarm, once in a while there's a stroke of greatness (like the aforementioned cop scene, I also liked the wacky splitscreens) but it just felt like practically everything in this movie was borrowed from somewhere else. After 20 minutes, it just felt unwatchable. One of the worst movies I've paid for to see in a theater.
1.5/5

dvlzomb
Feb 10, 2003

by Lowtax
I think he did a wonderful job of editing it over and over and over again, as it kept getting the NC-17 rating due to insane violence and gore. He had to edit out a large amount of stuff.

For example, the final scene where Dr. satan is doing poo poo to that guy, thats all edited out. And when that guy is being tortured by the guy with knives (carnt remember names at all), that scene is all super zoomed in or whatever because it had to be or it would have received NC-17.

I found this movie creepy as hell, im not sure if scary is the word though. It was just completely hosed up. I dont what word to use really.

The previous posters seem to make it sound like a walk in the park as far as slasher type movies go but it was a lot worse than any jason movie etc i have ever seen. The version released in the theaters was still pushing it for the R rating.

If you didnt find this crazy enough ot whatever, check that out the unedited DVD (if its been released).

DietSoda
Mar 31, 2004
A drat fine movie. I had a blast watching it and though it won't be on my top 10 list or anything, there is still poo poo I loved about it.

I definetly reccommend it for any horror fan

4 out of 5

I can see why some people might not like it, because I didn't like 28 days later too much while alot of people loved it.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

The first time I saw this movie, I was in something of a daze. I had just been up for about 30 hours at a lan party, and was watching this with 10 other people at 6am. I enjoyed it immensely. I laughed my rear end off during a lot of scenes, and enjoyed the film for the most part.

To those that hate it, you're probably taking it too seriously. Turn your brain off and enjoy it for what it is. A horror movie so bad that it's funny. I give it a 4, and while I wouldn't care to see it again, it did entertain me for a few hours.

Edit: The scenes with Rainn Wilson being, uh, "flirtatious" with corpses were really spoilers in the film. They were probably my least favorite part, just because of their random scattering, and their ruination of what could be cute little nude scenes.

ClumsyThief fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 15, 2004

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
This is one of my favorite films and I say that because there's so much to look at. Sure the acting isn't all that great and the plot is a simple as can be, but the sets are amazing. I love the scenery and it just screams 'cult film' to me. The type of movie that's so bad it's great.

Plus I am a huge Zombie fan so that kind of gives it a push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollox
May 24, 2004
I really didnt know what to think of this film. As already said, it's not to be taken seriously but a tale on a disturbing voyage through horror. The film grabbed my attention from the offset and carried on doing so as its so hugely twisted and strange.

For it's confusing and mad horror I would definately rate this film above average and I reccomend watching it just to mess with your mind.