Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

Directed by: Alexander Payne
Starring: Jack Nicholson, Kathy Bates, Hope Davis, Dermot Mulroney

Nicholson is great in this subdued performance as a man who finds out that after retiring at age 66, he really hasn't done much in his life, after all. It's funny how both of Hollywood's greatest crazy-freaks, Nicholson in this film and Walken in "Catch Me If You Can", and played roles with such restraint against the typecast and have hit such great out of the park performances. It's as if you just see what's really bubbling in side of each of them, and that they're holding back makes it more incredible to watch.

Watching Nicholson quietly cry over a letter he's read is almost as fun as watching him go ape-poo poo and throw things everywhere. Which thankfully, there's a couple scenes of that nature thrown in for good measure.

Kathy Bates, as the mother of his daughter's fiancé is a riot, too, as the matriarch in one of the more realistic trashy families ever caught on film. And if you'll begrudge her a full-body nude scene as she walks into a hot tub with Jack, she's a kick through and through. The hot-tub scene, picture above, is actually pretty drat funny, as Nicholson reacts rather squirmily at the situation, while the earthy Bates just tries to get him to loosen up.

And if you're one of those people who likes making fun of multi-level marketing and pyramid schemes like Herbalife you'll get a kick out of Dermot Mulroney's portrayal of his son-in-law to be, Randall, who has an investment scheme that just reeks of Amway. It's fun to watch the family recoil in horror when Nicholson asks about it.

Howard Hesseman, who played Johnny Fever in WKRP In Cincinnati has a fun part as Bates' ex, as well. It's nice to see him getting work worthy of his talent.

The message of "About Schmidt" is to make a difference in your life. Working somewhere for 40 years then retiring with a nice gold watch isn't enough.

The only thing scarier than dying alone, is to die empty.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Great subdued performance from Jack Nicholson
CONS: Retina melting scene of Kathy Bates naked in a hot tub

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0257360/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain-Obvious
Aug 19, 2003

by Livestock
I saw this movie when I had a serious case of the giggles. My friend and I laughed loudly through the whole thing. If you have your radar up for subtle SUBTLE jokes, this movie will absolutely kill you. I loved it.

It'a a lot like a Christopher Guest movie, but without music, and with very realistic comedy.

4/5

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~
The ending of this movie kills me. Very funny overall; just a cool movie to watch. Didn't expect to like it as much as I do.

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love
This movie depressed the hell out of me. I guess it was supposed to be a comedy. Maybe I just did not catch the "subtle humor"
I did enjoy the movie though.

Watching it with my mom made the Cathy Bates scene all the more uncomfortable to endure.

The ending was my favorite part of the movie by far.

4/5

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
I just thought this movie was completely realistic. There were a few moments I laughed out loud and hard:

When he's at the quickie mart slurping a big gulp and he says he learned stuff about the American Indians and how, "they really got screwed." And when he comes home and says, "my daughter is going to marry that ignoramus and there's nothing I can do about it."

I think most of us know these characters. They are just so American and it's probably a very common story. If you doubt Nicholson's part, just think of the script. It must have been SOOO boring.

3.5 just because it did get boring and I only laughed out loud twice.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
yawner

havent heard a peep fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 7, 2009

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
This movie made me nearly cough up a lung in laughter, and nearly drove me to tears at the same time. I've never seen a movie that was able to so efficiently tear me into two separate directions. Very original and well made.

4.5/5

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Some jokes were just very bland, and so was the ending. But overall a very enjoyable film with a superb performance by Nicholson, which alone is worth watching the movie. 3,5/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Really liked this as a contemplative character study. Jack's career is so hit or miss, but films like this and As Good As It Gets shows he's still praiseworthy. I love this kind of bittersweet stuff. Rating: 4