Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Directed by: Danny DeVito
Starring: Edward Norton, Robin Williams, Catherine Keener

Edward Norton is Sheldon Mopes, aka Smoochy the Rhino, a children's entertainer with a heart of gold. After ratings draw Rainbow Randolph (Robin Williams) is caught accepting bribes in an FBI sting, the scandal forces the network to put Smoochy in his former timeslot. Randolph, Mopes' shady agent (Danny DeVito), various underworld goons and network co-conspirators each formulate plots to get the squeaky-clean Smoochy out of the spotlight.

The cinematography in Death to Smoochy captures the world through the lense of a children's television show, so everything is glossed with bright lights and cartoony camera angles. It's fun to watch. Danny DeVito has an annoying tendency to have these overexaggerated "quirks" in his characters and environments (watch Matilda to see what I'm talking about), but the shoe really seems to fit here. Williams was likely snorting the GNP of an African nation worth of blow during filming, but his flailing zaniness really is well-suited to his character.

This film works well both as a comedy and as a satire of big business and the struggle between ethics and profitability. It's a little too cartoonish at times, but I think that was the intent. The biggest complaint I can think of is Catherine Keener's bitchy corporate manager was wasted by plugging her into a romantic role. She should have rode Smoochy's rear end (figurtively) right to the end. The idea was to show that Mopes wasn't going to cave to anyone's demands no matter what he was threatened with, and giving him a chick for an emotional anchor made him look more vulnerable. loving Hollywood and their worthless romantic subplots. They wasted Jon Stewart's character too.

Death to Smoochy is pretty drat good. It's a sexy-looking movie loaded with random absurdity that manages satire without a lovely "message" tacked on. Props to DeVito for making a movie that doesn't suck.

RATING: 4

PROS: Funny, beautiful surreal cinematography
CONS: Some wasted potential

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266452/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubber
Sep 11, 2001
HORRIBLE POSTER, SELF-OBSESSED POSTER.
This movie dragged on WAY too loving long. I didn't like the comedy at all, and for a while it was acceptable. You would finally say "well this looks like the end" and you would get another half hour of boredom.

I agree, this movie was a waste of potential.

2.5/5

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
It's been a long time, so I wish I could recall more than this: I didn't laugh very much, if at all. I was bored. It went on too long. It could've been hilarious but somehow ended up going in a completely wrong direction. I remember enjoying the acting and most of the setting (it is enjoyably cartoonish), but I kept waiting for something funny and it never came.

2/5

Ramen Soup
Mar 17, 2004
Chicken finger gourmet
I think the reason I love this movie so much is because of the weird humor it has in it. The way everything was done and the way it was delivered really just kept me laughing through huge chunks of it. Another reason is because of the great combination of Edward Norton, Robin Williams, and Danny DiVito. That combination of people came together for great comic timing and just great acting overall. The crazy music score and the children's songs that Norton sings also really add to the overall greatness of the movie. It seemed to drag at parts for me, namely at the beginning, the first time I watched it, but after I watched it the second time I really got into the beginning. Great movie.
4.5/5

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I really enjoyed it up until the romantic subplot popped up. I have no idea why anyone thought that would really be a GOOD thing to do with the movie. I'm also confused as to why Jon Stewart's character was included at all, since his appearances seemed like a waste of time altogether. All I can think of is that his part was originally larger but was cut back at the last second and Devito was too chickenshit to just cut him out entirely. Oh well. It's still a good concept and both Williams and Norton are quite good.

4/5

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
This movie could have been SO good. Ed Norton, Danny DeVito, a plot about a Barney look-a-like? But it all went so horribly wrong so quickly. Any scene without Ed is pretty much worthless, though the ending is okay.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
It's too bad this movie wasn't released a few years earlier when Barney was still relevant. A lot of the plot seemed forced, especially things concerning William's character. Norton was horrible in this, it was like he was asleep the whole time.

phikl
Oct 19, 2003

Good film, could've been better. There were a few painfull moments in it though mostly centred around robin williams' character, or maybe it fallout from patch adams, whenever i see him i flinch. Ed Norton was good but i wonder if the nazi was created or changed after his casting for american history x reference. The Songs were great and just watching Ed Norton grinning his head off in a giant pink rhino costume was ace.

Also that film had probably the highest midget per minute value i've ever seen, which can only be a good thing.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
loving loved it. Good script, good dialogue, good characters and dark loving humor. 4.5