Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
Directed by: Andrzej Sekula
Starring: Kari Matchett, Geraint Wyn Davies, Grace Lynn Kung

Cube 2 is very similar to the first movie in that complete strangers are placed in this maze of cubes, which is riddled with traps that would kill them all if they didn't find a route of escape. Thats really where the similarities end with Cube and Cube 2.

This movie takes the story a lot farther than the first one did (which can be a good and bad thing) and expands more upon what the actual maze is, but at the same time leaves a lot more to be thought about. Rather than having simple traps like the first one did, this cube is filled with bizarre theoretical physics stuff that makes you think a lot in the movie. And the actual premise of what the maze is isn't as straight forward as the first movie. I guess these were the points of the movie that I really loved, and was really glad that they really changed it and made it stand apart from the first movie.

However I feel the first movie did have more structure and the characters all had a more concrete tie with one another. In Cube 2, it seems like the characters didn't really have so much of a role as the first (ie in the first they have characters that all have specific roles so that they can help one another, a cop who plays the leader, a doctor, a very bright student). While Cube 2 does have the same sort of characters, they just don't play their role (in my mind).

Overall if you did enjoy the first movie than this is easily a must see. I didn't think it was better than the first movie, but it stood apart from it, and isn't your typical sequal.

RATING: 3.5

PROS: Very awesome theoretical mathematical/ physics stuff, same premises of Cube but also changed it a lot so its not the same movie
CONS: Why did they have to end it the way they did :(, character interaction/ acting no where nearly as good as the first one

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285492/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Just watched in on DVD. This movie is not as good as the first, but still well worth a view if you enjoy the 'Cube' series (soon to be trilogy).

My main complaint is the new traps. In the origional, the traps are extremly life-like, such as the incinerator, the acid, slice-n-dice system, wire-cutters and the spikes. In Cube 2, all of the traps are computer generated and really detract from the fact that these people are stuck inside a maze.

The characters were ok. Like J-Pak said, they seemed to be a pretty random assortment of people, except this time they all had something to do with the construction of the cube. And the old lady annoyed the loving-hell out of me.

I also agree with J-Pak in that the ending was pretty lovely.

2.5/5

CoasterMaster fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 19, 2004

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
J-Pak said it pretty much perfectly. The ending, while less than ideal, was probably the only way the movie could go. I'm glad that not everyone mindlessly bashes the flick simply because it had a different focus than the first movie. After all, a retread would simply have been boring.

I'm thinking about a 3.5 for this. Above Average.

Boy Named Sue
Apr 19, 2003

YARRRRRR!!!
To me, the movie failed to capture the drama and feeling of hopelessness the first one did. Plus, the CGI part at the end where the lead female leaves the cube was terrible.

And for the love of God, if you get the DVD version of this, DO NOT watch the special feature about "Making the Cube" or what not. You'll listen to the direct ramble on in horribly broken English about the movie's opening credits and are treated to tidbits about how those credits were animated! All about the opening credits you could ever want to know!

2.5/5

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Painfully terrible in light of the brilliant first movie, unfortunately. Cube 2 is too busy jerking off to a bunch of bullshit math/physics stuff and coming up with COMPLETELYOMGINSANE ways to kill people. Half the movie makes no sense and everything seems to be an excuse to kill people in some uninteresting way.

The interesting characters are gone, replaced with an elderly woman you will want to reach through the screen and choke to death. The interaction between them is minimal and no where near as interesting as before.

I liked Cube because it left so much to the imagination. Cube didn't need amazing special effects or ambitious sets because it left you to imagine them. Cube 2 tries to outdo itself with special effects (which are poor) and some ambiguous explanation of the Cube's existence. Well, it sucks, and ruins a lot of what made the first one good.

The filmmakers didn't understand what made Cube cool:

A guy sliced into tiny cubes by some invisible force as he tries to escape a cube room = COOL.

A guy killed by some CGI clusterfuck that looks like poo poo and is explained by some bullshit math and physics = NOT COOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
The first Cube was excellent. It appealed to horror fans, math and science nerds, conspiracy theorists, and even some mystery buffs equally, was very smart, very full of tension, and very realistic in its own way. It was also unpredictable and had a fantastic ending. Despite its low budget, it was easily the best sci fi flick of the year when it came out.

Cube 2 had no tension, the science parts of it were horrible, it's immediately obvious who will die within the first two minutes, the ending was rushed and extremely contrived, and, oh yeah, not even the traps were any good.

My girlfriend and I still tell each other 'that sucked hypercubed' as a catchphrase a year later.

1/5