Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DietSoda
Mar 31, 2004
Directed by: Peter Segal
Starring: Jack Nicholson, Adam Sandler, Marisa Tomei

Anger Management is a movie that seems to have all the right ingredients at the start - Adam Sandler teaming up with Jack Nicholson in a movie about managing anger could have been a fantastic movie if it had a good script. Unfortunately the writing of Anger Management and its mostly one-dimensional characters take away from what could have been a very good film.

The plot is pretty straightforward - Adam Sandler's character David is someone who had been picked on since he was a kid and never really stood up for himself. In his current life he is still someone who doesn't take up for himself and has no confidence with his jerk boss, his girlfriend (played by Marisa Tomei), or himself.

An altercation occurs between Sandler and a flight attendant on a business trip and Sandler is sentenced to Anger Management therapy. His therapist is none other than Nicholson, and Sandler is later forced to undergo "extreme" anger management therapy and be with Nicholson around the clock. (There is much more to the beginning of the story, but I don't want to ruin it for those who do want to see this movie.)

The entire movie revolves around Nicholson trying to keep Sandler from bottling up his anger and standing up for himself when he needs to. Nicholson plays his character PERFECTLY - it feels as if it was written with him in mind.

The problem with the movie is the fact that the main character, David, is very boring. He is not someone that you can really relate to for the most part, and I actually began to loathe him. A character like Happy Gilmore would have worked WONDERS for this movie - Sandler as a person who explodes at people and has to tone down his anger would have been much funnier than the character he plays.
The supporting cast is equally one-dimensional and don't really give you much of a reason to care about them and Marisa Tomei's acting was pretty uninspired as well.

The plot is very predictable and the ending leaves many plot holes that are never filled which leaves much to be desired. There are a few twists, but again they are all predictable and you'll have figured out the movie long before they explain it to you. In true tasteless fashion, every single thing is EXPLAINED in detail so that Joe Schmo can understand everything that happened. Vanilla Sky might be able to do this since it's...well Vanilla Sky, but this is NOT Vanilla Sky and the plot is not near intricate enough to warrant an "explaining" session.

If you like Sandler, this is probably one of his weaker movies and you should watch some of his earlier works instead. As good as Nicholson is, he just can't save the mundane script, terrible plot holes, and two-dimensional supporting characters.

Not a horrible movie - but I wouldn't recommend it.

RATING: 2.5

PROS: Has some laugh out loud moments and Nicholson is perfect for his character.
CONS: Sandler's character is very weak and the movie as a whole is very predictable.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/angermanagement/

DietSoda fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 19, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I liked the movie. It wasn't supposed to be any sort of in-depth intellectual comedy, just a lowbrow, everyone loves it comedy, which it succeeded at.
The main character was very uninteresting, though.
3/5
Pros: Funny dialogue; funny situations; Jack Nicholson is hilarious
Cons: Main character sucks; could do with better writers

JamieMadrox
Feb 8, 2004
DON'T CLOSE SH/SC THREADS
Sandler is getting old, how many times can he play the same character...it's getting incredibly boring. Jack Nicholson was great though; average score for him.

2.5/5

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
In addition to being an Adam Sandler movie, this has enough plot holes for a lifetime of Matrix films.

1.5/5

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This movie was very good at keeping me guessing what was going on. The circumstances that resulted in him getting sent to Anger Management seemed to be too bizzare to be anything but a setup, so when came the reveal that it WAS a setup, that made sense. Early on, this was a continuous distraction, and trying to think about it only revealed more plot holes and improbabilities.

It is true that Adam Sandler's character was initially unlikable. Like others, I kept wanting him to stop being such a goddamn pussy. But besides the fact that his pussyness is the major point driving the plot of the movie, he is supposed to be unlikable because he's a pussy. His transformation is the thing that makes him likable.

Jack Nicholson is very good in this movie. You're never quite sure what his real game is, or what crazy poo poo he'll do next. I also like how Sandler and Nicholson's relationship kept changing in almost every scene. It pretty much saved the movie, although I didn't like the too-sappy ending. Some of the cameos were distracting.

It's not Sandler's best or funniest work, but it's a fairly decent comedy, especially if you can ignore the holes in the plot.

3.25 out of 5

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
I enjoyed this movie. Laughed quite a bit, and Nicholson is great

NewtonFig
Apr 28, 2006

Not Head Brain of the Hobosphere

I saw this once in theaters and then never saw it again. I just remember being incredibly angry throughout the entire film. If that was the filmmakers' intention then mission accomplished, but it was not an enjoyable moviegoing experience for me.

2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lan sam
Jan 17, 2005

'Ey Holmes
The reason this movie fails is because it isn't funny. Jack Nicholson is great, Adam Snadler is Adam Sandler. All the ingredients were there, but it just wasn't funny.
1.5/5