Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Directed by: John Hamburg
Starring: Ben Stiller, Jennifer Aniston, Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Reuben (Ben Stiller) marries Lisa (Debra Messing), the woman of his dreams, only to walk in on her loving their SCUBA instructor (Hank Azaria) while on vacation. Bummed, he goes to a party with his former-child-actor best friend (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) and runs into Polly (Jennifer Aniston), a bohemian nouveau who's into salsa dancing and, apparently, loving uptight risk analysts who obsessively arrange throw pillows and go to bars just to whine about the health hazards posed by mixed nuts. Eventually, Reuben comes to a crossroads when ... well, come on, if you haven't guessed it by now, you really haven't seen enough PG-13 romantic comedies.

The cons of this film are pretty self-explanatory, but not enough can be said about the first 3/4 of this movie in terms of realism. Sure, there are the exaggerated poop jokes and the sexual antics to be found in any Farrelly Brothers comedy, but "Along Came Polly" plays hopskotch around the clichés for the majority of it, and it's really admirable.

There's no meet-cute, since the characters technically already know each other from junior high school; when Polly finds out Reuben has lied to her, she comforts him instead of throwing one of those hissy fits that requires the characters to separate for 40 minutes; and Ruben's own dilemma is entirely understandable. Wonderful! WONDERFUL!

However, it's not enough to carry this movie. Without it, it would easily be a 0.5/5, because the jokes absolutely suck — I laughed once during this entire movie and I don't think it was an intentional one. I expect this kind of movie from Aniston (her notable exception is "The Good Girl," which is the only great film she's ever likely to star in), but Stiller usually picks better material in this range (except "Envy;" Christ, that sucked), and it's completely unfathomable why Hoffman was anywhere near this film.

And John Hamburg's writing/directing job does not bode well for "Meet the Fockers." One has to wonder if "Meet the Parents" was his fluke, his one good polished script laying around for years just waiting to get filmed.

RATING: 1.5/5

PROS: Characters and situations are more realistic than most PG-13 romantic comedies
CONS: 99.99% of the jokes fall flat; weak ending

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0343135/

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 1, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieMadrox
Feb 8, 2004
DON'T CLOSE SH/SC THREADS
Wow, what a cheesy and horrible movie this is, mainly a cash cow and a way for Jennifer Aniston to further her career; terribly predictable romantic comedy. Jennifer Aniston should stick to a character named Rachel and nothing else (then again Rachel hasn't been so good for the past five years either). Ben Stiller should stick to his Zoolander/Heavyweights/Dodgeball characters...because this romantic comedy he's been trying to do lately (Along Came Polly, Duplex) just really does not work out in his favor at all. Never watch this useless piece of crap.

Isn't it strange how she breaks up with Ben Stiller's character because she finds a list of everything she does, just like the way she broke up with Ross? I think they were trying to bring back some Friends memories for people to relate to

1/5

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

Not very good, and though from the marketing it looks like a cute romantic comedy it's actually surprisingly crude which was disappointing. Stiller and Aniston are non-entities in this, but Hoffman does provide a little prescence to his role.

And being a romantic comedy it's not very funny.

Rated 1

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Maybe i have a bad sense or humour but that basketball game at the beginning of the film cracked me up. The french scuba dude was pretty funny too. Basically what im saying is i did laugh a few times at this movie (and Anistons rear end looked amazing in the make-out scene) so i give it 3.5/5

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I actually found this movie quite funny. Sure its predictable but the basketball scene is hilarious, in fact hoffman is pretty drat funny throughout the whole movie. I think its worthwhile to see as a lightweight comedy.

Rating 3/5

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
Ben Stiller did some great acting in this roll. I found him to be quite funny at times and take him seriously when he was depressed. The same cannot be said about Jennifer Aniston.

It was a pretty good romantic comedy for the ages. One worth seeing as a rental.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Blah.

Piney
Oct 14, 2003
I liked this movie. It had timing, which rarely no comedies have anymore. And it had Hoffman.

Voted 4.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
Rented it a few days ago with my wife. Ben Stiller was spot on as he usually is in his self depreciating roles. The story doesn't win points for originality, but I got a few laughs out of it. Good for a few chuckles. We enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
It's ok.

Your wife/girlfriend will enjoy it, and it's not unbearable to sit through. Plus, you'll have Jennifer Aniston to look at, and she's always easy on the eyes.

I've sat through far worse excuses for "romantic comedy". I've also sat through far better ones as well.

2.5/5 : decidedly average.