Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Directed by: John Carpenter
Starring: Kurt Russel, Steve Buscemi

Escape From LA's plot is nearly identical to the first movie, up to and including all of Snake's motiviations (the government has again implanted him with something that'll kill him in X hours). Not only is it repetitive, but it's done much worse this time around.

So aside from the fact that it's the same plot over again:

- Snake hasn't really aged well and his over-the-top attitude is just annoying in the sequel. His character was kept in check in the first movie but in EFLA he's almost a parody of himself
- Atrocious special effects, even for 1996
- Realizing they had the same story, I guess they tried to add originality by providing Snake with creative modes of transport: surfing (an absolutely terrible scene) and hang gliding stick out as the most retarded.
- Escape From New York had Snake fighting gladiator-style to escape from his captors. Escape From LA has him playing basketball. I can't describe how lovely this scene is unless you've seen it. Not only is Snake playing basketball at the climax of the action, but he's playing alone (he simply has to make X baskets in X time, or be shot). It's one of the worst scenes in action movie history.
- The ending is painful.
- Most of the interesting characters from the first movie have been replaced with gimmicky poo poo like the transvestite played by Pam Grier.

The only positives in this movie are some minor roles by Steve Buscemi, Peter Fonda, and Bruce Campbell (the surgeon scene is one of the few good ones in the movie).

Why was this movie made? Why didn't someone point out that it was merely a stupider version of the first? Why the gently caress is Snake playing basketball? Why is Snake abnormally good at basketball? Why is Snake surfing on a giant CGI wave that looks like complete poo poo? Why is Snake hang-gliding to victory?

RATING: 1.5

PROS: Steve Buscemi, Peter Fonda, and Bruce Campbell provide some cool minor characters
CONS: More of a remake than a sequel, terrible special effects, numerous stupid scenes, ending

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116225/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I really liked this movie, because I didn't take it seriously at all. It's another "so bad it's good" movie. It's just so hilarious and entertaining to watch. It has a cool post-apocalyptic setting like in Escape from New York, so that's all well and good. I've seen it several times and it just never gets old. Also the dialogue is so bad it's good, with such awesome, endlessly quotable lines as, "Look at my FACE when I talk to you, shitheel!" and, "WELCOME TO THE HUMAN RACE" at the end, and of course there's the awesome standoff scene.

"Nobody draws till this hits the ground."
*throws can up into the air, and shoots all the other dudes*
*can hits the ground*
"Draw."

So bad it's good. It's definately not as good as Escape from New York, which was loving awesome, but I still loved this movie.

4/5

Morgenstern
Sep 11, 2001
Ich bin allein zur Nacht gegangen
Die späten Vögel nicht mehr sangen
Sah Sonnenkinder im Gewimmel und so
rief ich in den gestirnten Himmel.
I remember loving this movie back when I was in 6th grade. Watching it now, I still laugh my rear end off.

4.5/5