Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Directed by: David Byrne
Starring: David Byrne, John Goodman

True Stories is a mainly plotless movie that follows Talking Head's singer David Byrne as he meets oddball characters in the fictional town of Virgil, Texas. Almost all of the characters we're introduced to are charming or funny in one way or another, which keeps the movie interesting in spite of its lack of story. Unfortunately at times it can begin to crawl, and I felt movie began to drag during its last third.

For a movie made in the middle of the 80's, True Stories has a lot of insightful commentary on corporations, urban architecture, and consumerism. At the time it must've been like getting a peek into the 90's.

My favorite character in this movie is David Byrne -- his narration is by far my favorite element of the movie, and his quiet innocence makes him the most endearing person in the film. He looks sort of uncomfortable in front of the camera, and his slow, paused delivery style keeps you hanging on his words. The movie often shifts between a regular style and documentary style (in some scenes characters speak to the camera, in others the numerous angles and wideshots indicate a shift to a standard, removed viewpoint). I enjoyed the movie the most when Byrne is talking directly to the people, listening to their words, and providing the occasional question.

At times John Goodman seems kind of lost, I'm sure he was as confused about the movie as most viewers are. He does an all right job, but in a few scenes you can almost feel that just before the camera started rolling he was like "Ok, what's going on this scene?"...

When it's not being obviously absurd and weird -- the fashion show, the church -- there's a subtle oddity running through the film ... it's just like your city, but not quite. I read somewhere that there's over 50 sets of twins in the movie (after I'd watched it) and it only adds to the underlying weirdness of Virgil, TX.

RATING: 4.0

PROS: Byrne's role is great; tons of funny characters; subtle and over-the-top humor and weirdness
CONS: Largely plotless; wanders at times; not enough David Byrne!

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092117/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU