Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiceman Spliff
Nov 18, 2002

I did indeed feel that True Stories was a "completely cool, multi-purpose movie" as the box art would lead one to believe, although I am the only person that I have shown this movie to that seems to feel that way. While there is a good deal of comfortable elitism inherent in the above statement, and while the film is far more artsy than most, I think you'll only really appreciate it if you like David Byrne and/or Talking Heads.

The main draw of this movie seems to be Byrne's excellent, poignant narration, and the smattering of Talking Heads tracks contained within, including the excellent yet embarrasingly out of place "Wild Wild Life" kareoke bar lip-synch scene and dated, yet still relevant commercial commentary of "Love for Sale."

Aside from the Byrne/Heads draw of the movie, it also featured a bunch of cameos from others within the musical world, inspired a certain band's name with the "Radio Head" song, and I would hope did a bunch for John Goodman's career prior to Roseanne.

True Stories was a clear marker of the beginning of the end for Talking Heads, which may be its greatest legacy. Byrne pretty much went solo with this movie, which apparently was only greenlighted if Talking Heads did the soundtrack, which was mediocre compared to the rest of their work, and apparently was one reason why fans tuned out for the Heads subsequent, and last, work: Naked.

I give it 4/5, as a fan of both Byrne's work and the work of Talking Heads.

If you like neither, you will probably give it 2/5 unless you are the artsy type or particularly enjoy Reagan-era time capsules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU