Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
It's funny how you can agree with a negative review completely and still have a positive view of a movie. CloseFriend's criticisms of True Stories are right on target. Nothing much is happening in this movie, and it's perfectly happy to take its time not happening. A car parks at the mall. Some workers set up a stage in a field. There's a commercial on TV. To me, though, these little bits of nothing make True Stories, instead of a fast-moving absurd comedy with David Byrne lectures in it into a pleasant soap bubble of glistening nonsense. Intentionally bad production values in some areas collide with bizarre production decisions in others - did you notice that there were over thirty pairs of twins in this movie? At some point you did...

Like noticing all the twins, True Stories will reward repeated viewing. John Goodman is highly likeable, David Byrne and Spalding Grey are awkwardly engaging, and the world presented is weird, but never in-your-face about it. The movies True Stories reminds me most of is the classic French series of comedies about M. Hulot. Nothing much happens in a Hulot movie and the characters never experience an emotion more wild than befuddlement. Still, I could watch them over and over.

4/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU