Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
I got this $50 surface mount pickup to cover a blemish on my guitar. I ended up really digging it. I've never reviewed anything but really felt the need to give this guy a nod so I had my video buddy help me out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONrCYgme4S8
(copied review from vid)

Victory Lowrider Goldfoil Surface Mount Pickup Review:

Got this cheap pickup to surface mount to my guitar while I wait for my other two pickups to come in. I wanted to showcase some of my favorite sounds from it.

Recorded with a Shure SM57 and my Fender Superchamp X2's (Ragin Cajun) direct out. I use a ditto looper in some parts. I used the amps reverb, drive and delay in some parts but have a few 100% dry examples too.

I love that the pickup is a decent bit microphonic meaning it will pick up sounds beyond that of just the string vibrations a normal magnetic pickup would. You can yell into it and hear yourself. You end up with a lot of extra string and finger noise kind of like a miced acoustic guitar.

I've been trying a very long time to find a way to add this sound to my guitar. I've experimented with both passive and active piezo systems on my solid body electrics to try to get that acoustic quality in my sounds but nothing quite worked as well as this pickup did.

Its a sound with a lot of life to it that is best suited for clean to mid overdrive sounds. That microphonic resonance gives a nice edge and presence to the more driven sounds. Despite how lively and receptive this pickup it, it is relatively quiet for single coil, probably due to the shielded metal casing.

I was about to coax some of the less natural and less usable feedback and squealing sounds that are associated with microphonic pickups, but only at the highest of gains settings I'd never use this pickup for anyways. I'll have a bridge humbucker coming soon for that.

I bought this as a cheap pickup to cover a screw up in the paint job of my guitar build and had no idea I'd end up enjoying the pickup so much.

This thing would be a sweet mod to any two pickup guitar or a great base for an easy surface mount build. Just get a plank of wood with strings and slap this on!

They seem to be marketed towards the Cigar Box crowd but it's earned its place on my main axe right between the two higher end Novak pickups I have on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU