Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

futhman
Feb 18, 2004

Wuhan Mini-China/China

Equipment: Wuhan mini-china (goes from 12" to 22", although the 22" isn't exactly a mini china)
Price New: Example: $10/$40
Year Manufactured: whenever!

Specs: a cymbal's a cymbal. I suggest hitting it in the shoulder, since the Wuhan china's shoulders are pretty pronounced (like the shoulder of a drumstick almost, as opposed to the flatter shape most other chinas have). But then again you can also turn it upside down and get an AWESOME bell sound, like Frankenstein's ride cymbal.

Sound: These cymbals need a good stand if you're going to use it as much as I do. I dedicate a separate boom stand to it and keep it above my hihats for quick accenting. They sound a lot like dark Ks (Zildjian), but they don't feel as "creamy." I guess by "creamy" I'm talking about that pliant feel that Paiste Sound Formulas and Zildjian Ks and Sabian HHs have, where you feel like you're actually cutting into the middle of the cymbal. These cymbals are thick and strong, and sound really dark. They're trashy as hell too, with quick decay. But the super-rapid decay might come from the fact that I have them tightly clamped down. Here's an example MP3 of how I use it and how it sounds (listen for the chorus; also, it's part of a bigger song, which is why the starting is so weird):

http://thewatsonbrothers.com/secretalbumdirectory/08-Oshanti%203.mp3

Instrument Quality: FIVE! Honestly, these things are sturdy as hell, offer AWESOME sound for the price, and it's a much better deal than shelling out a hundred dollars for an effects cymbal you might end up not using. And 40 bucks for a 22" china??? AWESOME. They also have a pretty generic sound as opposed to the more specialized Zil-Bel or China Trash or whatever the big-name companies have. And remember that Carmine Appice's china is Wuhan, though all his other cymbals are Sabian.

Playbility: 5/5

Overall Value: Honestly, this is the best value you could possibly get when cymbal-shopping. If Wuhan made hihats and crashes I'd play them, because I crave Ks but can't afford them. :cry:

Overall Value: 5/5, if you're in the market for an effects cymbal (and you should be!) Some dude on musiciansfriend had this to say:

quote:

Max from Musiciansfriend.com came out of the closet to say:
the only thing i can say bad about this is that fingerprints and dents show up very easily from the type of metal.
He's right, fingerprints do show up. But that's never been much of an issue with me.

Last Words: Everybody plays Zildjian, Sabian or Paiste cymbals, and that's all well and good: they're fantastic and really the only three choices (lol Bosphorus :rolleyes: ). What most drummers underestimate though are effects cymbals. A good china can completely change your playing style, as can the simple addition of a cheap splash cymbal. But cymbals are expensive, and most people don't want to make the investment only to find out that it doesn't agree with their setup (although I guess you can get a splash holder for pretty cheap). Enter Wuhan. I bought their mini-china and splash in 2002 because they were only forty bucks, and while the splash is like any other cheap splash (think Sabian B8s, Paiste 402s etc) the mini-china completely changed my drumming experience. I wouldn't be able to live without it now.

futhman fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 18, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU