Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Directed by: Brian De Palma
Starring: Tom Cruise, Jon Voight

In one of those odd cases where the sequel was decent following a rather bad opener, Mission: Impossible (the first) puts a lot of effort into making you guess and next to no effort in explaining what's going on.

Fine, I didn't watch the series, so that hurt my ability to grasp the characters. Only it's not as if the TV series was widely syndicated or engrained in pop culture beyond the 'this tape will self-destruct' stuff.

So we have characters that are rarely identified and poorly defined, a mission that's hard to understand, a conspiracy that's even harder to understand, and plot twists that contradict the rest. The acting isn't anything to write home about. The effects and action are good but several action flicks a year are better for that.

Even the trite, formulaic Bond movies work as mindless fun. In the case of Mission: Impossible you wind up tripping over your own brain. MI2 managed to pull off mindless fun, this didn't really pull off much of anything.

RATING: 2

PROS: Some good action
CONS: The plot is horribly, horribly done; not enough action to make up for slow parts and confusion

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117060/

Ditch fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 21, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pispor Schitritch
Aug 1, 2003

by Ozma
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I really feel that this is one of the better summer movies of the last 10 years and kicks the gently caress out of the recent bond movies.

Logic takes a back seat to insanely fun set-pieces and taut pacing.

It's too bad MI:2 was made.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
MI confused the gently caress out of me when I first saw it, and it was such a lovely movie in every other area that I never felt a desire to rewatch it. I'd already begun on my lifelong Tom Cruise hatefest, so that didn't help the movie win any points with me either.

There's a few memorable scenes (namely the laser room drop in) that were actually enjoyable and that save MI from a terrible rating.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
An absolutely fantastic espionage movie that the sequel missed the point of entirely.

4.5/5