Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[
Directed by: Danny Leiner
Starring: John Cho, Kal Penn, Neil Patrick Harris

I saw an advance screening of this flick tonight (June 20th).

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle is about two guys named Harold (John Cho, aka the "MILF" guy in American Pie) and Kumar (Kal Penn, aka the Indian guy in Van Wilder). They get stoned off their asses and decide to get something to eat. The eventual decision is to go to White Castle, home of the "Slider." If you don't know, White Castle sells tiny little burgers just like Krystal, only unlike Krystal they don't suck balls and are actually incredibly awesome.

Anyway, eventually the trip becomes less about the burgers and more about accomplishing their goal of getting said burgers. Lots of hilarious poo poo happens along the way, including a game of "battle shits" between two British girls, almost having sex with the wife of a guy named "freakshow," and a run in with Neil Patrick Harris (playing himself, better known as Doogie Howser, MD).

This is one of those "check your brain at the cinema door" type movies. If you're looking for smart humor you obviously shouldn't be here. There are tons and tons of crude jokes all over the place. The important part though, is that the movie is loving hilarious. Every now and then a smart joke gets through, but they're usually in the background and surrounded by some very crude jokes. The movie lampoons a ton of stuff, and does an especially excellent job beating the poo poo out of the "EXTREME" craze.

I find it hard to talk about the movie's plot because it's basically non-existent. It's just about two guys who are on their way to White Castle and all the zany poo poo that happens on the way.

Cho and Penn play off each other very well, and really do seem like great buddies. Their timing is very good. All of the other smaller roles are also quite well done, even if most of them are highly stereotypical. Neil Patrick Harris plays an excellent version of himself, tripping balls on E and doing coke off of a hooker's rear end. He was defiantly a highlight of the film.

This movie was directed by Danny Leiner, who also directed the hilarious, "Dude, Where's My Car?" This movie is very much in the same vein as "Dude" (there's even a joke reference to the flick in Harold & Kumar) only in my opinion quite a good deal funnier.

Overall I'm giving this movie a 4 out of 5 because I seriously laughed the entire way through it. From start to finish it had practically the entire theatre rolling on the floor. If you're in the mood to turn off your brain and laugh your rear end off, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle is defiantly an excellent flick to see.

RATING: 4.0

PROS: Absolutly hilarious, cracks jokes on everything
CONS: No brains required

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366551/

StrikerObi fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 22, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumKat
Jul 16, 2004

Member of the Catspiracy
HI QUANTUMKAT NEXT TIME POST A REVIEW PLEASE THANK YOU

Preserving my sexy and moisturizing my situation

freeride88
Mar 7, 2003

by elpintogrande
Holy christ will you idiots post REVIEWS IN THIS REVIEW FORUM.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 23, 2004

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I just got back from watching this at a sneak preview. Harold and Kumar is without a doubt the funniest movie I have seen this year. I can pretty much tell you honestly that I didn't go 2 minutes without laughing my rear end off. What are the cons? I can't really think of any truthfully. Also, clocking in at 88 minutes, it was pretty much the perfect length, there weren't really any jokes that dragged on for too long.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

quote:

Shampy came out of the closet to say:
I just got back from watching this at a sneak preview. Harold and Kumar is without a doubt the funniest movie I have seen this year. I can pretty much tell you honestly that I didn't go 2 minutes without laughing my rear end off. What are the cons? I can't really think of any truthfully. Also, clocking in at 88 minutes, it was pretty much the perfect length, there weren't really any jokes that dragged on for too long.

My thoughts exactly, I also saw it at a sneak preview, and it was quite possibly the funniest movie I have ever seen. I will rate it a 5.5 as the top of the genre.

RoboTeddy
Aug 4, 2002

I don't think I've ever spent more time actually laughing during a movie.

Pseudo
Jul 18, 2003

space cat

quote:

Couldnt have said it better.

Hamster
Jan 23, 2003
Why are Neil Patrick Harris and this movie defiant?

Evi|Sycho
Sep 9, 2001

Sexy Time!

quote:

Agreed 100%.

This is the only movie I walked out of afterward with a huge crin cracked over my face. I thought that it was by far the best comedy this year, maybe even more (as long as you don't expect any significant storyline).

This is one of those movies that just makes you smile. It doesn't try to be anything more than it is, if that makes sense. The creators and actors all know that this is one of those goofy movies, and they don't try to pretend this is something that it isn't. They don't try to make a cinematic masterpiece, just a hilarious movie you can watch with your friends. Yes, the humor in the movie is quite simple, but they don't lay it on thick or rely on the same joke over and over.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and will most likely see it again in theaters and I plan on buying the DVD when it comes out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just saw this at San Diego Comic Con. They filmed a commercial with the audience, so hopefully you'll see me in the commercial (i'm in the middle of the theater with a grey shirt, I will probably occupy a 4x5 pixel space on your tv screen)

Funny, funny movie. There are some moments that might seem like politically correct "asians rising up against the white man" pap, but they make enough fun of nerdy asians to balance it out. Also, some of the humor is predictable (hang gliding), but this was not often and these are just minor nitpicks in an otherwise hilarious movie.

I almost cried laughing when Kumar dreamt about marrying a bag of weed and then slapping it while wearing wifebeaters and then making up with it

CapnShoeshine
Jun 29, 2003
The Verbal Herman Munster
Funniest movie I've seen in a long time. Non-stop jokes, perfectly goofy performances from the cast, and the Best Performance of All Time turned in by one Neil Patrick Harris.

And this was seeing it totally sober.

The only issues I had was with the small amounts of poorly done CG, including the hang-gliding and cheetah.

Other than that, I'm going to see this movie again when it actually comes out.

4.5/5

FuzzyDunlop
Oct 7, 2003

in ur chest, meltin ur heart
This movie had some great social commentary, from the skateboarder telling Harold "Better luck tomorrow!" to the 'very accurate' police sketches at the end. Part of what made this movie great was the way the two main characters had to deal with far more than the typical problems experienced in a roadtrip movie--confronting racism and stereotyping is a bit beyond your standard fare for a movie about two stoners, and added a very funny element to the film.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[

quote:

RepoRebo came out of the closet to say:
"Better luck tomorrow!"

My friend pointed out to me that this line, "Better luck tomorrow!" is actually a joke. It's hidden in there pretty well, but the line is a reference to the film Better Off Tomorrow which John Cho was in.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280477/ (look for him under more cast, playing Steve Choe).

danimus007
Jan 28, 2004

by Ozma

quote:

StrikerObi came out of the closet to say:
Directed by: Danny Leiner
Starring: John Cho, Kal Penn, Neil Patrick Harris
who also directed the hilarious, "Dude, Where's My Car?"

Hilarious? Um...

(walrusnote: yes it was hilarious also you are a human being)

REVIEWS ONLY

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 27, 2004

batphantom
Mar 24, 2001

I also caught the sneak preview last night, and I agree with pretty much everyone here, it's a goddamn riot. I'm glad that the "batshit insane" school of comedy is finally cataching on, with Dodgeball, Anchorman, and now this one. The heart's in the right place, it doesn't go TOO far over the top, and I know the girl who played "Battleshits!" Aces all around!

4.5/5

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

I just got back from seeing this flick, and I must say I was really surprised. As many already know, the leads are minor characters from two other screwball college comedies. The movie was certainly competent. Eddie Kaye Thomas (Finch from American Pie 1-3) shows up in yet another comedy targeted at college kids (he needs to get a new agent). The leads themselves pull off their roles quite well, and there were many laughs to be had. Of course, it did follow a formula. Let's recap:

1) Dick, fart, and semen jokes? Check.
2) Hot woman being sought by one of the leads? Check.
3) Lots of pointless nudity? Check.

Despite all these formulaic elements, the movie had one shining moment which I will put into spoilers for those who don't want to miss out on its majesty:

Neil Patrick Harris snorts coke off a stripper's rear end!

As to be expected, this film was nowhere near the quality of such films like Anchorman and Dodgeball. For starters, the producers need a pat on the back for the amount of blatant product placement in the film. The CGI was more than a little subpar, as well. Did I also mention the film was formulaic?

Despite all this, there were many laughs to be had. I originally went into this movie expecting crap and came out still laughing about scenes from the film. Leave your brain at the door, catch a matinee showing, and everything will be fine.

Rating: 3/5

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 3, 2004

Raptor10001
May 7, 2003

Bend over and show me your Dark Side.
Really, it's one of the best movies ever.

The guy's last name was Patel..."nuff said"

5/5

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
This vile, execrable film presents to the White paying movie-going public an enchanting assortment of racial minorities, making them out to seem as wholesome and non-assuming as you or I. And though the "protagonists" (neither of whom is White) fall constant victim to the discrimination of obnoxious, impune men of privledge (all White), they hold their heads high, undoubtedly placated by the unending stream of impossibly beautiful, indentured White women who shed their clothing at the very sight of them. And rest assured that all those same evil, conniving Aryans receive their ample comeuppance, while their slim-eyed, dark-skinned foreign counterparts reap the benefits of our Western culture, vis-a-vis, exploiting our education system, smoking illegal contraband, and raping our women. Stand tall, brothers, and deliver unto this day--Gott Mit Uns, our proud culture shall endure the baiting of race traitors like those who brought to us Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle.

NADZILLA fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 24, 2007

toolboi
Jul 24, 2002

It is hit or miss, but for me it hit more often than it missed. One of the funniest movies Ive seen since The Big Lebowski (though it lacked the intelligence of said movie). All in all a 4.5.

Mach Won
Jun 17, 2004

Is UNC playing? My post is either whining about (1) ref favoritism, (2) unfair recruiting/player caliber, (3) opposing team sucking or (4) the inevitable UNC win. The day you see me giving UNC credit for anything is the day someone hacked my account.

Roy era: 1-16 :qq: RIVALS!!!!!
I laughed the entire time, easily the funniest "insane" comedy I have ever seen. The jokes never stopped coming, well worth my time and money.

5/5

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

An awesomely funny no-brains required film. It had tons of laughs Remember the Holocaust? Think of the exact opposite! and such. Tons of great laughs, definitely reccomended.

5/5

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 27, 2006

Demmy
May 20, 2001

Dutchman & McNutty:
Putting bitches (and stray cats) in their place since '02
I had no desire to see the movie when I first saw the commercials for it, but then I saw that it had a decent rating on rottentomatoes.com and people here were saying it was hilarious, so I checked it out last night. Definitely the funniest movie I've seen in a long, long time. Neil Patrick Harris was loving hilarious, and there were so many jokes that came out of left field that it reminded me of the humor on Family Guy sometimes. It will, without a doubt, be the number one movie watched by college kids across the country for at least the next few years.

The only thing I didn't really care for was the somewhat lackluster ending to the XTREME guys, but it was definitely more than made up for by the rest of the movie.

5/5

Beans
May 12, 2001

I WILL ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO PROPERLY DISCERN BANDWAGON FANS FROM TRUE FANS.
The movie was okay. There were a lot of funny parts that I didn't really laugh at, though. I think that in order to fully appreciate the movie, you need to be stoned/drunk and really, really relaxed. I was kind of tired and went to a late showing, and I didn't laugh at parts that I normally would have laughed at. This is a good movie to watch with friends and talk poo poo with, though.

I just want to say that after the movie, my friends and I really wanted to grab some White Castle burgers, so we decided to visit the newly opened one in LA (I think it's the only one on the west coast). We left the theater between 12:30 and 1 and drove to White Castle, only to find that they were closed when we got there (1:30 AM). I was kind of pissed, since I really wanted to try their burgers, but I guess that since it's a new location, it wasn't open 24 hours. Don't be surprised if you come out of the theater and it seemed like a 90 minute commercial for White Castle.

Overall, a really good movie to see with friends and just laugh at, as long as you don't take it too seriously. A little on the short side, but very funny and some scenes will have you laughing your rear end off.

4/5

edit: I finally went to the White Castle promo in LA, and the burgers were horrible. Meat was literally cracker thin and bland. I couldn't even taste the grilled onions or the meat.

Beans fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 2, 2004

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
Since I saw the poster on the wall of the megaplex back in January I knew I had to see this. From the inclusion of "White Castle" in the title to the races of the main characters to the "plot in a title" style of naming, it looked all good. This was further reinforced when I learned John Choe was going to star, along with Kal Penn.

To put it simply, this movie was the funniest movie I've seen this year. It's like if a producer came to you and your buddy and asked you to write the funniest script you could. Also, you have lots of Asian/Indian friends and you're a SA goon. This movie contains so many quotable lines that it'll be a pop-culture staple for awhile to come (Dude, did she touch your penis?). I even liked the Better Luck Tomorrow reference, which elicited hoops and cheers from the audience (Better Luck Tomorrow is a cult classic around here, being in a heavily Asian part of Silicon Valley).

My only complaints (and they're really small) is that the effects could have been better (the rear projections/chroma-keying was particularly bad) and that the vignettes could have been tied together a little more. But I was laughing the entire drat time, so don't let these stop you from seeing the movie.

4/5

Oh, and make sure you stay 'till midway through the credits, the "extremely accurate" police sketch is one of the funniest jokes in the movie.

Aquasol
Jun 23, 2003

Destroy all dreamers w/ debt + depression...
I thought this movie was excellent. It having been made by the same guy who made Dude, Where's My Car? would lead one to believe that most of the jokes are of the dick/weed/fart variety, and while that's certainly true, White Castle delivers it better than any movie in recent history. But even if you can't bring yourself to crack a smile at Doogie Howser doing a line of coke off of some girl's rear end, you'll find there's a layer of smart(er) humor and social commentary that works at least 94% of the time.

John Cho and Kal Penn have some of the best on-screen chemistry I've ever seen, and even on the rare occasions that I wasn't laughing, I found myself mesmerized with just watching them move around the screen, interacting with and playing off of each other. When the movie was over and the warm afterglow of the sketch drawing had faded, I was left somewhat depressed, like I had just finished a great book and I'd never be able to see my favorite characters again. The ending proposes a sequel, at least, and hopefully the box office numbers will add up to a figure that makes Harold and Kumar go to Amsterdam a worthwhile investment for the producers.

Yes, some of the acting is bad. No, not all of the jokes are funny. Yes, the CG is bad. Yes, there's product placement, even in the title of the movie. In my opinion, these complaints, particularly the latter two, are minor. Harold and Kumar is a gem. A flawed gem, yes, but a gem nonetheless.

It is without hesitation that I give it five of my golden manbabies.

EDIT: I wasn't serious about the manbabies thing, it's just that I wanted an overly dramatic way of saying 5/5 since the rest of my review was so wordy/heavy-handed/whatever

Aquasol fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 1, 2004

RPG543
Sep 20, 2002

Screw you guys... I'm goin' home.
I guess I went into this movie with seriously high expectations based on what I heard . It was a good movie but it wasn't nonstop laughs. It was about as funny as Dude, Where's My Car overall, although this movie had a couple of hilarious lines in it. About half the jokes/gags were good, and the other half just bombed. And it's nowhere near the funniest movie all year; Napoleon Dynamite takes that title.

3.5/5

Koba1t
Jul 2, 2004

I WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT CUT BLOCKS AND SPORTSMANSHIP
As i said in the GBS thread:

Best stoner flick ever. Easily surpases "Half Baked" and "Friday".

The part where Kumar was in a dream sequence and was a drunken wife beater and the bag of weed was his wife = lol

5/5

slydecix
Aug 14, 2003
a.k.a. d1stantjourney
All I have to say is bullets... my only weakness... how did you know?

5/5

TacoLobster
Apr 10, 2002

kippered, mashed, smashed, destroyed...completely geschtonkenflapped
Holy poo poo, this was the first movie in a looonnnngggg time that actually had me crying because I was laughing so hard. The fact that it was set in New Jersey, my home state, just made it that much better. There are so many good jokes in this movie that will definitely be repeated over and over until the horse has been beaten into the ground, rotted, and turned into fertilizer.

One of my favorite parts (I think the rest of theater was getting angry because I was laughing so much): The big black guy at the first drive in place they go to. "Burn the motherfucker down!!!" was incredible, and after "I'll give you a hint...it's semen" I thought I was going to die from my diaphragm spasming.

Hands down, one of the best "stupid" comedies I have ever seen. 5/5.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Good, but not great. It's a refreshing stoner comedy that thankfully does not rely on stupid stereotypes for laughs (like Half Baked, How High and other similar failures). Aside from a couple jabs regarding munchies and poor memory, you don't have to sit through any "LOL STONERS LAUGH AT THINGS A LOT" scenes that go on and on.

I love that the characters are indian/asian and that the movie rarely feels the need to comment on it (and when it does, it's hilarious).

As everyone's already said, it's just really well executed dumb humor that will have you laughing fairly regularly. Plenty of quoteable and memorable scenes... this is going to be a big DVD hit and I can definitely see myself watching it again. There's a few misses here and there (semen in special sauce is a tired joke, for example. Battleshits wasn't funny either.) which keeps it from being a 4.5 or 5.0.

Two absolutely hilarious things: White jocks saying "Let's go get some loving Mountain Dew! EXTREME!!" and a montage of Kumar marrying a gigantic bag of weed.

I've never been to White Castle and I really, really wish they existed in central Canada.

Bloated Pussy fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 2, 2004

NovaHunter
Mar 13, 2004

Jack Bauer is my hero.
Quick review from me -

Hands down, the funniest drat movie I have seen in a looooong time. I was practically falling out of my seat a bunch of times from laughing so hard! Now, I live in Jersey, which automatically made the movie awesome. Wuick rundown of my favorite scenes -

1 - The Newark scene ("Hey, they look like a lamer version of us") - Those who have seen it will know.
2 - Neil Patrick Harris
3 - Harold's love interest is loving HOT! (and she's shown in some skintight clothes)
4 - Neil Patrick Harris
5 - The whole scene at the police station
6 - Neil Patrick Harris

There are a ton more...hell, the entire movie just kicked rear end. The only thing that could have made it better would be to have Zack from Saved By The Bell in the movie, along with Neil Patrick Harris...you know, as a duo. Two of the coolest guys in the world trippin balls on E and stealing Harold's car...amazing.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
My Review.

I went to this movie knowing that it was s stoner film. I was hoping that it was going to be Half-Baked, but instead it was Dude, Where's my car. Big Surprise when you know who directed it.

Pros:
The Film does have it's moments, but they are few and far between.
Neal Patric Herris was about the best part of the movie, and he wasn't even that good.

Cons:
Almost all of the jokes are either stupid or cliche.
The set up for most of the jokes were stupid (Freakshow and his wife? come on!)
For a movie that is only 1 hour and 30 mini it feels much much longer.
You would probably enjoy this film if you were stoned, or have smoked enough weed in your time that your head is clogged with bong resin.

1/5

Captain-Obvious
Aug 19, 2003

by Livestock
Unbelievably average, and often boring. A rental at best. Go see eurotrip instead, it's much funnier and has more and better boobs. 2/5

Sefer Yetzirah
Apr 4, 2004

Bolete-gasm!
Alright, three of us, (Me, Alereon, and my Girlfriend) decided to go and see this movie. We're all familiar with weed, but haven't done it in quite a while. However, this is indeed a stoner movie.

This has so many awesome one liners, and extremely odd moments, it was awesome.

As said earlier, Neal Patrick Harris is hilarious. Sniffing coke off of a stripper's rear end, is just awesome

If you like silly movies, see this one. Don't go to it expecting anything but a good time. It's a good laugh; just don't think about it. Leave any attempt to analyze at home.

Annex
Jul 21, 2004

quote:

Captain-Obvious came out of the closet to say:
Unbelievably average, and often boring. A rental at best. Go see eurotrip instead, it's much funnier and has more and better boobs. 2/5

Thankfully im not the only one who found this movie to be often boring. It was extremely uninspired and many jokes were so bland and obvious that there was little surprise in the moment.

And I totally agree that eurotrip was a much better flick.

2/5

Annex fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 3, 2004

Special -273.15
Dec 4, 2003
Absolutely
Absolutely amazing...there were some spots that it slowed down...but some parts made up for it greatly. And yes, I did go to white castle afterwardas...yes, I know I'm a tool.

5/5

Jeff W
Jun 15, 2002

I didn't go in expecting much.

Then I realized it was in New Jersey, that made me happy.

Then the Movie started, then I became even more happy.

I'm still wondering why they couldn't have gone to the White Castle over on 22 by the Woodbridge Mall though, its so much closer.

5/5

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I rarely pay for movies and definitely felt like this was one of the times that was more than worth it.

This is probably the first time I've ever laughed out LOUD in a theatre as opposed to trying to keep it quiet. Even though I never watched Doogie Howser back in the day it was still great to see him do lines of coke off a hooker's rear end.

Probably the funniest part in the entire movie: Anti-marijuana commercial with the kids in the study, with one loading a shotgun and sticking it in his mouth "I'M SO HIGH!" :lol:

DUDE THAT WAS SO EXTREME!!
LET'S BURN THIS MOTHERFUCKER DOWN!

4.5/5

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Jeff W came out of the closet to say:
I'm still wondering why they couldn't have gone to the White Castle over on 22 by the Woodbridge Mall though, its so much closer.

MOVIE RUINED

Regardless, a fantastic movie. Of all the movies I've seen so far this summer (working at a movie theater, no less), this is the one I'd be most likely to recommend. Great, quotable lines; a simple, straightfoward plot; and some actual, cohesive messages. This plus stoner comedy plus boobies equals my favorite movie of the year.

The negro... colored... basketball team- black.... African American.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

quote:

StrikerObi came out of the closet to say:

My friend pointed out to me that this line, "Better luck tomorrow!" is actually a joke. It's hidden in there pretty well, but the line is a reference to the film Better Off Tomorrow which John Cho was in.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280477/ (look for him under more cast, playing Steve Choe).

Ummm no, it's in reference to the movie "better luck tomorrow", a film about asian teens and how all the stereotypes about them are wrong.

BTW I liked the movie, it wasn't the funniest thing I've seen all year, I don't even think it was really all that great, but it was definately worth the matinee price.