Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Directed by: Jay Levey
Starring: "Weird Al" Yankovic, Kevin McCarthy, Michael Richards, Victoria Jackson

My #1 favorite movie of all time

"Weird Al" plays George, a guy who can't keep a job. His best friend Bob (David Bowe) keeps getting them new jobs, but George blows it. Finally, George's Uncle Harvy wins the deed to channel 62, a UHF station on the edge of town. Knowing that George is between jobs, his aunt makes her husband give George the job of managing the place. Using his massive imagination, George creates bizzare shows and bumps U62 to #1 in the ratings!

His uncle Harvy, however, loses a lot of money gambling, and sells the station to rival channel 8, headed by Kevin McCarthy! Can George get the money in time to save the station?

A hilarious blend of slapstick, in your face comedy with Weird Al's uniqe blend of parodies and insanity. A must see for anyone clinically insane, or who likes comedies.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: hilarious, creative, original
CONS: not funny if you don't like slapstick

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098546/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
"Today, we're going to teach poodles how to fly!"

ARFARFARFARFARF*SPLAT*

"Aw man...."

andy.hall
Jun 4, 2004
HAY GUYS! TL;DR IS FUNNY ESPECIALLY WHEN I DON'T HAVE ALL THIS SEMEN IN MY EYES
A great movie, that's for sure, but the ending seemed somewhat hurried and farfetched, even moreso than the original plot, lol. Overall it still ruled and I will always be a fan, but I've gotta say I've seen better (just not lately).

Rating: 4.5 - Really great but not perfect.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
The movie is a loose ball of intense comedy. Don't go to see it and expect an airtight movie experience. It's about as together movie-wise as "The Big Lebowski", so its not really gonna tell a story, so much as make you laugh.

Oh, and:

quote:

You get to drink from the FIRE HOSE!

loving hilarious. 4.5/5

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
An underappreciated gem.

4.5/5

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
What the hell happened to the previous UHF thread? I know I replied to it. Did this forum happen to get pruned?

Either way, if My Cousin Vinny isn't my favorite comedy, this is. I got my DVD signed by Weird Al last July at a concert and I really really like this movie.

5.5/5

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Badgers! We don't need no stinkin' badgers!

5/5

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

In a way, this movie defined my childhood. I fell out of love with Weird Al's relatively predictable musical antics quite a while ago but this film always stood to me as a sign that he could do so much more. (that and various 'al tv' segments from various music channels).

Highlights for me: Anything to do with 'kramer', the cream-stuffed twinkie, the indiana jones sequence, billy barty as a camera man. Just a really inventive comedy that does not stop for air every, an unrelenting assault of comedy. Some of it works, some of it doesn't.

Lowlights: This may have been one of Fran Drescher's original 'big' roles and since I hate her with a passion I hate her here too. Though I hate her here less than anything else she's been in. I also hate Victoria Brown(?), that talentless schlump that should have been thrown off of SNL after her first show, but again, I hate her less here. The movie also kind of drags when Al and crew are called upon to actually act in any serious way, but those moments are few and far between.

4/5

PS-I don't know if the mods will approve of non-review postings that are just repeating catchphrases from the film.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
A true cult classic. Sharp and as a tack, but much less pointless.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Excellent film. It's Walter Mitty meets 80's slacker/pop-culture addict. This and Ghostbusters defined my childhood cinema experience.

For me, George's karate teacher neighbor/game show host makes the film. Who can forget "Nothing! Nothing in the box! You so Stupid!"

SUPPLIES!

Rated 4.5

mynie
Sep 16, 2002

by HELLTANK
I loved this when I was younger, but when I watched it just recently I found that most all of the jokes just aren't very funny any more. It's still great for kids, and it did make me laugh in a few parts, but it's nowhere near as great as I remembered it.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Absolutely hilarious. I watched it as a kid and loved it, and watched it a month ago and loved it even more. So many classic lines.

5.5/5

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
loving awesome film! I first heard about it on VH1's documentary of Wierd Al and wanted to check out the video and it turned out it's probably the best movie I've ever seen. The plot is excellent, the script is really funny, and the characters are really hard to beat. I have yet to see a movie that compares to this.
5.5/5.5

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

http://www.coldfire07.com/forums/stupid.jpg

Pretty good movie, 4/5.5

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001
I dont know what's funnier...Michael Richards as Stanley Spadowski, or all of Al's random movie daydreams. The Rambo daydream where he just starts screaming and blowing up random buildings around the world never fails to make me laugh my rear end off.

4/5

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

This remains to me an untainted gem of the essence of Al. What a funny flick!

4.5/5

Hudson
Jun 1, 2004

Beneath the surface lies the future.
I'll never forget the Rambo parody in that movie.

4/5

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
We had this movie on tape for as long as I could remember way back in my early childhood. I loved this movie. And I still do. Watching it with commentary on the dvd is just as good as watching it the first time.

"I've had that mop since I was 8 years old. WE'VE NEVER BEEN APART!!!"

5/5

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

This is definitely one of my favorite comedies ever. I loved it growing up and love it even more now. It's completely off the wall, but typical of what you might expect from Weird Al.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
this movie has changed my life.

YOU SO STUPAAAAD!!!!

5/5