Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Traigh
Jul 22, 2004

by Livestock
Directed by: John R. Cherry
Starring: Jim Varney, Myke Mueller, Jackie Welch, Daniel Butler

Summary
"Dr. Otto, with a third hand on top of his head, unveils his latest creation: The Gloom Beam. A machine that zaps computers all over the world and makes bank accounts and credit cards useless, making money useless to everybody, except Otto himself and his assistant, Slave Willie the Robot (Daniel Butler)." - IMDB.com

3 main factors contribute to the greatness of this movie.

1. The bad guy wins.
It’s not everyday you see a movie where, right from scene one, the villain character is already destroying the world. The standard “good vs. evil” plotline is thrown out of the window and pissed on here, and that’s great! I can’t think of another movie I’ve seen where the setup is the world has already reacted too late. The world is already screwed by an evil doctor with a hand growing out of the top of his head!

2. Women are not invincible “Gods.”
It’s obvious in the movie that we’re living in a “man’s world.” With all the PC-ness we have to endure from Hollywood in that women are the only people capable of actually defeating the bad guys, it’s totally refreshing to see this movie put women in their place.

3. Dr. Otto kills his parents.
I can’t say much more about this without giving a lot away. Murdering your parents in a comedy is not something you see much.

This is officially the very first “Ernest P. Worrell” appearance on the big screen. Although it only lasts for a few minutes, this has got to be the best “Ernest” movie I’ve ever seen. Jim Varney gets to showcase his acting talents by playing 5 characters in this movie.

The effect are actually very nice for as cheaply as this movie was made and the fact that it was 1986. I think more people should know about this movie because it totally refuses to follow the standard, everyday movie practices. It’s a lot smarter of a movie than some people give it credit for. The characters are very well developed throughout the movie as well.

It’s hard to find anymore, since it’s not available on DVD, but if you happen across it in a Blockbuster bargain bin somewhere for $5, it’s definitely worth the price.

RATING: 5

PROS: Evil Wins
CONS: Impossible to make a sequel.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090968/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU